is Recycle worth it? do you use it?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

11 Apr 2017

Hi for those who purchased Recycle..

is it worth it? do you use it often in your productions?

Thank you

plaamook

11 Apr 2017

I used to but not so much these days. I don't much use the slice function in Reason either. Just changed how I work. But back then I was glad I had it. It's a one trick pony but is more powerful than slicing in Reason. In fact there was a bit of complaining about how slicing wasn't really full Recycle integration, which is true.

I'll sell you my license if you like. PM me.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Oquasec

11 Apr 2017

Since reason 5, hell no since all the devices had that built in.
kong is 16 regions each. I started out with fl studio so I bought slicex instead.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

samsome

11 Apr 2017

its built it now?

i don't understand this well, where is it built it and why do they sell recycle separate

plaamook

11 Apr 2017

Recycle started off as a stand alone RX editor way before Reason had slicing.
Slicing audio is basically Recycle integration except they left a load of features out. IMO if you really get into slicing up RX files you can get a lot deeper into it in Recycle than in Reason. So I guess that's why Recycle is still around. At the time people were speculating about how Recycle wasn't fully integrated because they didn't want to completely undercut Recycle.

Anyway, here's a tut on working with slices in Reason.

Or you can read the manual...

Or here.

JacobiusWrex

12 Apr 2017

I'm under the impression that recycle is baSically for making Dr rex files... Given the advances of built in sampling/editing in reason

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Oquasec

12 Apr 2017

Pretty much. Back in the day fl studio was my go to for sampling so I didn't know much of reason for that outside of synthesis techniques lmao
Producer/Programmer.

MitchClark89

12 Apr 2017

plaamook wrote:Recycle started off as a stand alone RX editor way before Reason had slicing.
IMO if you really get into slicing up RX files you can get a lot deeper into it in Recycle than in Reason.
this is absolutely true and correct. i love the recycle and find it a lot less clunky than i find the reason audio edit mode.. this may also be because i do not try to use it much as i tried and did not enjoy so i go back recycle :)

Gorgon

12 Apr 2017

It's absolutely ridiculous that Recycle's functions aren't integrated in Reason. Now there's a half-assed slice function with no adjustable sensitivity, which is available in pretty much all other DAWs.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

EdGrip

12 Apr 2017

I reckon this is getting pretty high up the PH things-to-update priority list.

Jagwah

12 Apr 2017

Yep, they had the technology, but only implemented a 'limited' for Reason version so they can better sell Recycle separately. Just ugh!

kitekrazy

12 Apr 2017

EdGrip wrote:I reckon this is getting pretty high up the PH things-to-update priority list.
or ditch

I'd buy it if it came down to $50

Oquasec

12 Apr 2017

Recycle imo is only worth 25$ and should be fully integrated into reason.
Producer/Programmer.

kuhliloach

12 Apr 2017

Gorgon above nailed it -- at least, what I believe is the most important difference between Reason's current ability to auto-detect slices VS. doing this same process in ReCycle: a sensitivity slider.

ReCycle has that magic sensitivity slider. Reason does not. I am not sure why.

Gorgon

13 Apr 2017

kuhliloach wrote:Gorgon above nailed it -- at least, what I believe is the most important difference between Reason's current ability to auto-detect slices VS. doing this same process in ReCycle: a sensitivity slider.

I'm going to take a wild guess. They still want full price for that ancient program with a feature that everybody else includes in the DAW software.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

13 Apr 2017

Even Renoise implemented it several years ago. Look at the percentage indicator in the top right. That's the sensitivity.

Gorgon

13 Apr 2017

Cubase 6(!)

EdGrip

13 Apr 2017

kitekrazy wrote:
EdGrip wrote:I reckon this is getting pretty high up the PH things-to-update priority list.
or ditch

I'd buy it if it came down to $50
Yeah, that's basically what I meant. Slicing and .REX creation and handling is well overdue an overhaul in Reason, I'd say - my view is it would make sense to fully integrate ReCycle into Reason now. They can keep ReCycle as a separate purchase for users of other DAWs - but much cheaper - €50 or so.

I think sales of both would go up if they did.

Oquasec

13 Apr 2017

Yep reason def needs that studio one feature.
Did I mention studio one's basically recycle with vst support & a piano roll exactly like reason's but with a brush tool and a macro maker?

Compare that entire daw, to recycle's pricetage for a minute. :lol:
Now, ask yourself why propellerhead doesn't make a RE device out of recycle.
Producer/Programmer.

plaamook

13 Apr 2017

Well like I said, I'll sell my license for £50. Because I never use it any more not because it's crap. Anyone who want's it, PM me and we can sort something out.

Or here.

joeyluck

13 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:
kuhliloach wrote:Gorgon above nailed it -- at least, what I believe is the most important difference between Reason's current ability to auto-detect slices VS. doing this same process in ReCycle: a sensitivity slider.

I'm going to take a wild guess. They still want full price for that ancient program with a feature that everybody else includes in the DAW software.
Yeah I'm not sure why. Would seem like a good gateway into Reason for Recycle users.
Reason Essentials has the ability to create REX files. With a few more Recycle features, Reason Essentials could be an easier sell to non-Reason users/potential Recycle customers. And beneficial to full version Reason owners.

Gorgon

13 Apr 2017

plaamook wrote:Well like I said, I'll sell my license for £50. Because I never use it any more not because it's crap. Anyone who want's it, PM me and we can sort something out.
Of course it's crap. When it was made, people were still running Windows 98 Windows 95.

decoder

13 Apr 2017

I wonder why Props hasn't just absorbed Recycle into Reason like they did with Record...

plaamook

13 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:
plaamook wrote:Well like I said, I'll sell my license for £50. Because I never use it any more not because it's crap. Anyone who want's it, PM me and we can sort something out.
Of course it's crap. When it was made, people were still running Windows 98 Windows 95.
Yeah, it's a bit crap compared to what it could be of course but it's still more powerful than slicing. I used to flex the hell out of it. Sadly by the time slicing was brought in I'd sort of moved on from working that way. But I'm not offering to sell it because it's crap and I don't want it, I'm offering because I don't use it or anything like it any longer. That's all I'm saying. The mad thing is it's still up for retail on Amazon for like £160!!! That really is crap.

Or here.

Oquasec

13 Apr 2017

Exactly. That is the same price, as entry level versions of daws with a plethora more features and it's also not a rack extension or a integrated module.
Producer/Programmer.

• Information