Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stephensmattlee

04 May 2017

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the "snapshot" of a Vst plugin in Reason 9.5? I know it may seem like a strange question and know that whenever you click Snapshot it updates the photo on the Vst device but was just wondering if it was possible to reverse the process later on? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olivier

04 May 2017

stephensmattlee wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the "snapshot" of a Vst plugin in Reason 9.5? I know it may seem like a strange question and know that whenever you click Snapshot it updates the photo on the Vst device but was just wondering if it was possible to reverse the process later on? Thanks

We can't currently share information like this. Please join the beta and find out :)

Please read the announcements: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7500407 and viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7500526
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Creativemind

04 May 2017

ANyone on the Beta...can you tell me if the VST support and PDC are the only things updated here or is there anything else, i.e - things moved in menu's, keyboard shortcuts or minimal features at all?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Olivier

04 May 2017

Creativemind wrote:ANyone on the Beta...can you tell me if the VST support and PDC are the only things updated here or is there anything else, i.e - things moved in menu's, keyboard shortcuts or minimal features at all?
We can't currently share information like this. Please join the beta and find out :)

Please read the announcements: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7500407 and viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7500526
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Lov2sing

04 May 2017

Olivier wrote:
Creativemind wrote:ANyone on the Beta...can you tell me if the VST support and PDC are the only things updated here or is there anything else, i.e - things moved in menu's, keyboard shortcuts or minimal features at all?
Not to sound uninformed but what is PDC support and what difference does it make?
We make music for a reason

aeox
Competition Winner

04 May 2017

Lov2sing wrote:
Olivier wrote:
Not to sound uninformed but what is PDC support and what difference does it make?
plugin delay compensation

DonnieAlan

04 May 2017

This is very exciting news. I use Pro Tools as my main DAW and often use Reason via Rewire in PT. For years now I've been asking when, if or how rewire could become a 2-way street as right now you can only send audio from the slave to the host, but not host to slave and back. The reason for wanting to do this is quite simply wanting to be able to add some of Reason's great fx (ie Alligator, Scream, etc) to a VI track, and then send back for further processing in PT. The only way to do that now is to export the audio from the PT VI track, import to Reason, add the processing and send back via Rewire to PT for the mix. A lot of trouble and time. Well, this announcement isn't quite that, but the next best thing. Most of the VI's I use come in VST format and now I'll be able to just host their VST versions in Reason, process with Reason's great fx, and keep it all in the PT mix.

This is going to be a HUGE plus in music production for sure!

The one thing I wonder is will it only host 64bit VSTs in the 64bit version of Reason (which is what I use) or, will it be able to bridge 32bit as well? If it does, then that would be an even bigger coup! Right now, I have to use Reaper inside PT via VST to host any 32bit VSTs I want to use (ie reFX's Vanguard VI, which I still really like). Its okay doing that way, but if Reason did all that, then I'd have no need for Reaper at all.

Looking forward to seeing it all work! Going to start installing all the VST versions of my favorite AAX plugins right away so I'm ready to go on day 1

Oquasec

04 May 2017

You'd have to a make a folder specifically for that and add it to the left side of reason browser with drag and drop.
I have it like that for when rewiring Reason into Studio One
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Lov2sing

04 May 2017

aeox wrote:
Lov2sing wrote:
Olivier wrote:
plugin delay compensation
Thanks, I thought that but I am no good with acronyms. If I am remembering Props said they could compensate for that. That is a big deal. Thanks again.
We make music for a reason

esselfortium

04 May 2017

DonnieAlan wrote:This is very exciting news. I use Pro Tools as my main DAW and often use Reason via Rewire in PT. For years now I've been asking when, if or how rewire could become a 2-way street as right now you can only send audio from the slave to the host, but not host to slave and back. The reason for wanting to do this is quite simply wanting to be able to add some of Reason's great fx (ie Alligator, Scream, etc) to a VI track, and then send back for further processing in PT. The only way to do that now is to export the audio from the PT VI track, import to Reason, add the processing and send back via Rewire to PT for the mix. A lot of trouble and time. Well, this announcement isn't quite that, but the next best thing. Most of the VI's I use come in VST format and now I'll be able to just host their VST versions in Reason, process with Reason's great fx, and keep it all in the PT mix.

This is going to be a HUGE plus in music production for sure!

The one thing I wonder is will it only host 64bit VSTs in the 64bit version of Reason (which is what I use) or, will it be able to bridge 32bit as well? If it does, then that would be an even bigger coup! Right now, I have to use Reaper inside PT via VST to host any 32bit VSTs I want to use (ie reFX's Vanguard VI, which I still really like). Its okay doing that way, but if Reason did all that, then I'd have no need for Reaper at all.

Looking forward to seeing it all work! Going to start installing all the VST versions of my favorite AAX plugins right away so I'm ready to go on day 1
Just FYI, VSTs aren't loaded when in ReWire slave mode.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

DonnieAlan

04 May 2017

esselfortium wrote: Just FYI, VSTs aren't loaded when in ReWire slave mode.
So I just found out. Why? Geesh. Without that this upgrade does me no good whatsoever. I don't use Reason in standalone mode. But its one of my go to "VIs" in Pro Tools and I use it all the time in slave mode. Since we can't get Rewire to be a 2 way street...going from host to slave and back, to add fx and such...I thought this would be the next best thing. I want to be able to use several of my VI's in VST mode (ie Omnisphere, Serume etc) IN Reason to use the Reason FX like Alligator, Scream, Synchronous, etc. So hearing that VST hosting in Reason was coming, I got excited.

Now, not so much. If it won't work in slave mode, its virtually useless to me as a feature.

What a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. I hope that Propellerheads open that up to work AND SOON!!!!

What possible reason could there be for VST hosting to not work in slave mode. Surely P-heads knows that a large number of their users use Reason in slave mode hosted in a DAW. Why deny this great improvement to all of us who do that?

MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT HERE!!!

Edouardo

04 May 2017

I was so excited when I read the news a few days ago, a nearly twisted my ankle dancing around the house!

I had to get used to Digital Performer so I could explore VST instruments, but I always came back to Reason - just a question of workflow: When I compose, I just hate when technical issues disturb the flow of ideas, so in the end, came back to Reason which does offer yet a lot of sonic possibilities. I just combined audio files created in DP and imported them in Reason (Rewire doesn't work for me, too instable). A pain, but I would attain the sound I want that way.

Now Reason and Komplete. hummm that is going to be sweet. I do wonder though how Reason in going to handle Kontakt and NI synths... Any clues?
Reason Tutorial Producer: https://youtu.be/_oMa1Q44CRA
Music Producer & Composer - http://www.synaptic-machines.com/
Music Catalog: https://soundcloud.com/synaptic-machines

:reason: :PUF_balance: :record: :re: :refill: :D :D :D

DonnieAlan

04 May 2017

I'm not getting why they've set this up to NOT work in slave mode. When ANY RE VI is put on the Reason rack, it creates a mix channel to go with it. ALL mix channels have audio outputs that allow you to re-route any mix channel's audio output from the main bus to anything else -- ie another Reason fx module or whatever. In rewire slave mode, you can just route the audio out to an empty rewire bus. Why would that be any different here? How does hosting a VST on the rack effect the audio output options for the mix channel associated with it? Those are 2 different functions.

I'm just not getting this at all. I hope someone from the P-heads can explain this.

Gorgon

04 May 2017

Edouardo wrote: Now Reason and Komplete. hummm that is going to be sweet. I do wonder though how Reason in going to handle Kontakt and NI synths... Any clues?
How about you wait and see?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

borracho

04 May 2017

Reason 9.5 video with some VSTs in action:

pquenin

04 May 2017

VSTs in Reason, a mixer in Tracktion, what can we expect next ? Rack extension support in Cubase ?

clone

04 May 2017

Been out of the loop for a minute, signed on today and saw this! What a surprise,
I can't wait for this new upgrade, and it's free!

swamptooth

04 May 2017

DonnieAlan wrote:I'm not getting why they've set this up to NOT work in slave mode. When ANY RE VI is put on the Reason rack, it creates a mix channel to go with it. ALL mix channels have audio outputs that allow you to re-route any mix channel's audio output from the main bus to anything else -- ie another Reason fx module or whatever. In rewire slave mode, you can just route the audio out to an empty rewire bus. Why would that be any different here? How does hosting a VST on the rack effect the audio output options for the mix channel associated with it? Those are 2 different functions.

I'm just not getting this at all. I hope someone from the P-heads can explain this.
Vst and au plugins can't be loaded in ableton live when it's a rewire slave either.

DonnieAlan

04 May 2017

swamptooth wrote:
DonnieAlan wrote:I'm not getting why they've set this up to NOT work in slave mode. When ANY RE VI is put on the Reason rack, it creates a mix channel to go with it. ALL mix channels have audio outputs that allow you to re-route any mix channel's audio output from the main bus to anything else -- ie another Reason fx module or whatever. In rewire slave mode, you can just route the audio out to an empty rewire bus. Why would that be any different here? How does hosting a VST on the rack effect the audio output options for the mix channel associated with it? Those are 2 different functions.

Vst and au plugins can't be loaded in ableton live when it's a rewire slave either.
But you can in Reaper in slave mode. So it can't be all that hard to program it to allow it. I just don't understand why.

Creativemind

05 May 2017

Something I wanted to ask, only just occurred to me. Can Reason detect newly installed VST's without having to restart the program? Like rescan for new VST's?

pjeudy

05 May 2017

Creativemind wrote:Something I wanted to ask, only just occurred to me. Can Reason detect newly installed VST's without having to restart the program? Like rescan for new VST's?
Nope! Have to close and restart REASON.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

clone

06 May 2017

Question, will we be able to use all VST's or just a few types?

BonsaiMacKay

06 May 2017

As far as I know, there is only one type of VST, be it effects or instruments (also known as VSTi). The only thing is Reason will only support VST 2.4 (the SDK is currently at v3.6), but most plugins are still 2.4, and many DAWs haven't adopted VST 3 yet.

Oquasec

06 May 2017

To use all vsts you'd need an external vst host. Vst 2 and 3, 32bit and 64 bit you'd need the reason 7+ feature called emi.
Last edited by Oquasec on 06 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Creativemind

06 May 2017

pjeudy wrote:
Creativemind wrote:Something I wanted to ask, only just occurred to me. Can Reason detect newly installed VST's without having to restart the program? Like rescan for new VST's?
Nope! Have to close and restart REASON.
Hope that's fixed in 10...it's so handy. Same with restarting to apply themes.

Saves so much time. On my laptop Reason takes about 1 minute 20 seconds to shut down and restart it, then you'd have re-open your track again. They need to get on to VST3 by 10 as well.

Also, what is this bridge thing people are mentioning to get 32 bit vst's to work?

• Information