VST's And Graphics Cards Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chrischrischris

28 Apr 2017

Hi,

I am just about to build a new PC. I'm just waiting for The 3200mb.p/s M.2 Drive to arrive and then I can start to build.

I have a simple cheap 1gb Graphics Card that I have used for years but My Question Is This;

Should I buy a more powerful Graphics Card with the introduction of VST to Reason 9.5?

I have had no problems with Reason and Graphics so far but I imagine that VST's use different amounts of power (Obviously depending on which VST).

I am only planning on using a few VST's that I already own such as Pod Farm by Line6 and The Korg Packs plus a few fancy things that I'm sure to come across.

Thanks in advance

Chris

qn5

28 Apr 2017

Reason seems to be dependent on cores.
The more cores the better. Had a quad-core processor on my last build and it was brutal.
Made the jump to 8 cores w/ hella RAM and my PC barely bats an eyelash these days.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

ezelkow1

28 Apr 2017

It depends on the vst. Most of them it wont matter as even fairly advanced ones with motion and what not still wont really tax a video card. There are a few exceptions though like ones using opengl. Those can have some gpu issues. Really though no vsts are graphically so intensive that you need a kick ass video card

chrischrischris

28 Apr 2017

Cool. Thanks for Your help. I'm actually tempted to just use the onboard graphics on the motherboard to free up A PCIE slot.

Chris

ezelkow1

28 Apr 2017

yea onboard is probably fine. There can be one issue with intels on-board gpu and opengl, sort of what I was referring to. There are ways to fix it but you have to manually install the intel opengl support or something wonky like that. Either way theres only a handful of vsts out there that actually use it so its not a huge deal (the ones off the top of my head are the newer NI plugins like replika)

• Information