Questions About The Upgrade Process -Free Updates

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sublunar

05 May 2017

Hello,

I'm curious how the upgrade process works. For example, 9.5 is a free update for v9 users. Is this common? What are the typical requirements for qualifying for a "free upgrade" to subsequent versions? I tried searching for this information but came up empty. Do you get a free update if you purchase the prior version within X amount of days of new version's release? Or is there no standard method to the madness?

Here's why I ask. I'm considering buying v9 for the 9.5 update. But what I've read suggests v10 would be due around the end of the year... So I'm wondering if there's a possibility of getting v10 as a free update if I wait a little longer to upgrade. Although 9.5 is a game changer and will be awesome, I'd rather not get stuck on the first version of VST support if it meant I don't get the next version as my free update. I've lived this long without VST support, I can wait longer for an updated version. I'm currently on 8.3.

Thank you,

RequiemMachine

05 May 2017

Usually, all the .x releases are free for that version (example v9 users get 9.1, 9.2 and 9.5 for free). Number releases, like 10, are paid. They typically give a free upgrade to a someone who buys the prior numbered release within a month or so of the new version.

Personally, I'm not expecting v10 until 2018....buy we really won't know when its coming until Props decides to tell us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Gorgon

05 May 2017

sublunar wrote:Hello,

I'm curious how the upgrade process works. For example, 9.5 is a free update for v9 users. Is this common? What are the typical requirements for qualifying for a "free upgrade" to subsequent versions? I tried searching for this information but came up empty. Do you get a free update if you purchase the prior version within X amount of days of new version's release? Or is there no standard method to the madness?

Here's why I ask. I'm considering buying v9 for the 9.5 update. But what I've read suggests v10 would be due around the end of the year... So I'm wondering if there's a possibility of getting v10 as a free update if I wait a little longer to upgrade. Although 9.5 is a game changer and will be awesome, I'd rather not get stuck on the first version of VST support if it meant I don't get the next version as my free update. I've lived this long without VST support, I can wait longer for an updated version. I'm currently on 8.3.

Thank you,
Propellerhead usually offers "buy version X now, get version Y when it's released for free" a month or so before the release of version Y.

And no, you will most definitely, outside of the example just mentioned, get Version 10 for free when you're on 9.5
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

QVprod

05 May 2017

9.5 is a big deal release. I would,'t expect Reason 10 this year. Perhaps in a bout a year or so if you're willing to wait it out. Free upgrade period is generally the day they announce it for about a month until the release.

Oquasec

05 May 2017

The earliest that should come out, is late 2018. [preferably december]
Who pays for a decimal update? Is that actually a thing for some daws?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

sublunar

05 May 2017

Right on, thanks for the replies. Kinda what I was thinking. I reckon I'll probably dive into 9.5 when it comes out rather than try to wait it out. At this point there's not a lot else feature-wise that would convince me I need v10, but I guess we'll see. Looks like I'll just have to split the funds I was saving for May madness to go towards an upgrade and maybe a handful of choice RE's.. It's a good time to be a Reason user.

Oquasec

05 May 2017

The updates matter alot more if you take rewire out of the equation.
Reason 9 puts it up there with studio one 3's workflow.
Producer/Programmer.

sublunar

05 May 2017

Studio One is one of the only big DAWs I never tried, but the workflow is why I like Reason. I don't see how one could improve upon this. It flows just right.

lowpryo

05 May 2017

if you buy 9 or 9.5 and end up being even 1 or 2 days before the "free upgrade to 10" cut-off, you're out of luck. so it's best to wait for the announcement if that's what your going for. but like everyone else has been saying, with such a huge v9.5, v10 is probably a ways away.

scratchnsnifff

05 May 2017

As someone who was a victim of being too late, I had purchased 8 within 2 weeks to a month of 9 being a freebie, do it asap if it's worth it to you Haha I paid 400$ to then pay 120 i just always want to be up to date though, that's just me :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

theshoemaker

05 May 2017

QVprod wrote:9.5 is a big deal release. I would,'t expect Reason 10 this year. Perhaps in a bout a year or so if you're willing to wait it out. Free upgrade period is generally the day they announce it for about a month until the release.
I expect 10 for Q4 ... would be on schedule like last year with 9
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Oquasec

05 May 2017

Got reason 5 in 2011 [when I started fiddling with it]
Got reason 8 in 2015.
Got Reason 9 last month.

So I expect 10 to be late 2018 at the earliest.
Producer/Programmer.

QVprod

05 May 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
QVprod wrote:9.5 is a big deal release. I would,'t expect Reason 10 this year. Perhaps in a bout a year or so if you're willing to wait it out. Free upgrade period is generally the day they announce it for about a month until the release.
I expect 10 for Q4 ... would be on schedule like last year with 9
Doubtful. While upgrades tend to span a year and a half to 2 years, a major update like 9.5 requires a bit of work as a full upgrade would. As a reference, Reason 6 came out in Sept 2011, 6.5 in April 2012, and 7 a year later in April 2013. The time distance between 8 and 9 was almost 2 years with 8.3 not being as major of an update.

It would also make little sense to have a month long beta for a free release when a paid release is around the corner.

• Information