Reason for Orchestral and heavy midi work

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bielphc

08 May 2017

Hello!, i'm new to reason! I'm planning to buy it. I loved this amazing workflow.

But i have some questions.

1. Does Reason has granular midi editing tools as cubase does?

2. Is it good for film scoring?

3. I want to compose soundtracks and make epic music (orchestral music). Is reason good for that?

Thanks! I already tested the demo but i need to discover more features, so this is the Reason (nice joke) why i want to know your opinion.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 May 2017

Not sure what you mean by "granular midi editing" however with Reason you can get right down into the midi clip and write your whole track just from there if you want (no keyboard needed), so you can add, move, delete, modify, copy and paste all midi data etc ..

This track was done (not by me) using the default soundbank that comes with Reason, well wicked..

Have a look at the Reason Music page on this forum, there are few good Epic (orchestral) tracks there...

of course once you have reason you can check out the RE's for 30 days to see if they work for you.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 May 2017

Like Carly I have no idea what you mean by "granular"

Reason's MIDI features are not as strong as many others however the overall workflow combined with the ability to work in a completely open Linear format makes composing in Reason a breeze.

Most common MIDI request is the ability to see several tracks at once to easier handle harmony and orchestration. Not a killer tho.
Also no per-MIDI Note effects which are cool but again not truly vital.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Gaja

08 May 2017

One major disadvantage of Reason for scoring, is that it doesn't natively support video playback. For that you'll have to either rewire into another daw, use Reasonsync or Resync software, or find a vst that handles videos.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Cheers!
Fredhoven

SoulState

08 May 2017

Gaja wrote:One major disadvantage of Reason for scoring, is that it doesn't natively support video playback. For that you'll have to either rewire into another daw, use Reasonsync or Resync software, or find a vst that handles videos.

...and here's the links:

http://retouchcontrol.com/resync/

http://www.reasonsync.com/ReasonSync.html
:reason:

Oquasec

08 May 2017

You'll need rewire, midi ox or emi for film scoring if you wanna use vst3/aax.
native vst 2 is coming in a few weeks.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

selig
RE Developer

08 May 2017

In addition to what's already been offered, I'd say what makes a DAW good for a job is 1/2 to do with the tools available (for example, no video support for film scoring in Reason), and 1/2 to do with having a workflow that makes sense to you. Just as important IMO is having a good orchestral library (or two) that you're intimately familiar with, and again one that has a workflow that makes sense to you.

For video support, the option I've used in the past is re-wiring Reason to Logic Pro.

One other random note, many folks who do orchestral scoring like to be able to see multiple note tracks either side by side or on top (ghost tracks) of each other - Reason does not support this feature, and it's one of the big negatives for orchestral work IMO. You can still get work done, but it's a little slower for me when working out voicing/harmonies etc.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Mucrafta

08 May 2017

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7499160

IT is possible to make orchestra in reason you i have two examples and with re sync you can handle videos in reason. And There are ood refills and re s for filmscore. And vst support for 9.5 If you like the work Flow you can give a chance.

Oquasec

08 May 2017

There's also a ton of orchestral refills. And for videos, why waste your time on a video vst if it doesn't chop the video up?
Producer/Programmer.

esselfortium

08 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:There's also a ton of orchestral refills.
For doing orchestral work, though, there's no ReFill substitute for the Kontakt libraries available. That's not a slight against ReFill developers -- there are some fantastic ReFill instruments out there, but Kontakt's toolset is just far more powerful, and its userbase far larger, so developers are able to invest far more into creating elaborate instrument libraries and have the capability to script more realistic articulations. Being able to use those in Reason 9.5 is a game-changer.
And for videos, why waste your time on a video vst if it doesn't chop the video up?
If you're a composer writing a soundtrack to go with existing video footage, editing the video is completely irrelevant. You just need to be able to synchronize your music to the video. I don't think there would be much point in including video editing in Reason, when any standalone video editing tool would be far more suited to it.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Oquasec

08 May 2017

esselfortium wrote:
Oquasec wrote:There's also a ton of orchestral refills.
For doing orchestral work, though, there's no ReFill substitute for the Kontakt libraries available. That's not a slight against ReFill developers -- there are some fantastic ReFill instruments out there, but Kontakt's toolset is just far more powerful, and its userbase far larger, so developers are able to invest far more into creating elaborate instrument libraries and have the capability to script more realistic articulations. Being able to use those in Reason 9.5 is a game-changer.
And for videos, why waste your time on a video vst if it doesn't chop the video up?
If you're a composer writing a soundtrack to go with existing video footage, editing the video is completely irrelevant. You just need to be able to synchronize your music to the video. I don't think there would be much point in including video editing in Reason, when any standalone video editing tool would be far more suited to it.
He has a point. NNXT and Direct wave are not the same things as chicken systems, UVI, Kontakt player, garritan or Aria.
Producer/Programmer.

ltbrunt00

09 May 2017

Spitfire Audio and Heavyocity are the way to go....if you have the money.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

kitekrazy

09 May 2017

bielphc wrote:Hello!, i'm new to reason! I'm planning to buy it. I loved this amazing workflow.

But i have some questions.

1. Does Reason has granular midi editing tools as cubase does?

2. Is it good for film scoring?

3. I want to compose soundtracks and make epic music (orchestral music). Is reason good for that?

Thanks! I already tested the demo but i need to discover more features, so this is the Reason (nice joke) why i want to know your opinion.
Reason would be one of the worst choices. Cubase is tops in this and that's what the Hollywood guys use. Cubase also has a staff view which is also one of the best if not the best in DAWs without going to a scoring editor.

It can be done in Reason but not the best choice by far. There are some other features in Cubase like expression mapping that you won't find in other DAWs.

Edouardo

10 May 2017

A couple of years ago, I wanted also to produce orchestral stuff with Reason... I produced a bunch of pieces, some even sold well as Royalty Free, but I was quite unsatisfied with what I could achieve, comapred to what was out there.

So I bought and learned another DAW (I chose one with Video Sync) so I could start using Kontakt libraries. That was a revelation!

So, good move.

However sometimes, once I recorded and edited individual tracks, I exported the tracks as separated audio files and imported them in Reason, where I do feel more comfy! Finally, I became comfy also with the other DAW (except for the crashes that I will never get used too being a Reason user since V5). I do this systematically when composing hybrid, combining orchestral possibilities of the other DAW with the fantastic electro tools in Reason. Rewire would work too, using Reason as a plugin, but I do not like the workflow... and its too unstable and taxing on the cpu.

Soon, end May, with VST support in REason, orchestral film scoring quality sounding tracks will most probably become a reality by using Reason alone with the relevant VSTs.

For now, I would not recommend Reason if Epic Orchestral is your main goal. Digital Performer is more suited for that imho. But I may change this recommendation in a year or so, once VST support on Reason has matured.
Reason Tutorial Producer: https://youtu.be/_oMa1Q44CRA
Music Producer & Composer - http://www.synaptic-machines.com/
Music Catalog: https://soundcloud.com/synaptic-machines

:reason: :PUF_balance: :record: :re: :refill: :D :D :D

darkmode

10 May 2017

I switched to Cubase due to the limitations for orchestral work in Reason compared to what can be done with the various libraries for use in Kontakt. I'm really hoping that I can come back to Reason with 9.5 and VST. I still much prefer the workflow in Reason.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Information