Mystified about 'Bounce in Place'

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heater

13 May 2017

I thought that 'Bounce in Place' would be like track freeze in that it would shut off the original track and just use the DSP to play the bounced audio track but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The only way I can fully free up DSP is to delete the original track so I and left with the bounced audio track.

Is that how it should be?

Wook

13 May 2017

To my understanding, proper freeze does bounce in place and deactivates the source track/instrument with the ability to unfreeze if necessary and do further adjustments. Reason does not do this.

Heater

13 May 2017

Wook wrote:To my understanding, proper freeze does bounce in place and deactivates the source track/instrument with the ability to unfreeze if necessary and do further adjustments. Reason does not do this.
Thanks. I just wanted to check the behaviour.

I will see if I can figure a way around it.

Creativemind

13 May 2017

Does bouncing in place and then muting the original track not free up DSP then?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

13 May 2017

Creativemind wrote:Does bouncing in place and then muting the original track not free up DSP then?
Definitely does not free up any RAM, and as long as the device is in the rack ready to go, then it's still using SOME DSP.

For a device to not use any DSP it needs to be temporarily "forgotten" about, as if it was never loaded in the rack the first place.

Hopefully this is coming in some future update, since even without DSP concerns it's still very handy to be able to totally take things "out of the rack" without totally forgetting about the device and it's settings.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Wickline

14 May 2017

Muting it in the sequencer will lower the dsp usage. Muting on the channel strip doesn't because the device itself is still producing audio and it's being processed by any insert fx.

Edit: the mute check box in the bounce menu will only mute the channel strip. You'll still need to manually mute the sequencer channel.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

buddard
RE Developer

14 May 2017

Wickline wrote:the mute check box in the bounce menu will only mute the channel strip. You'll still need to manually mute the sequencer channel.
"Bounce in place" behaves a little differently in that it bounces a single note clip, and that note clip is muted automatically afterwards. So performing a "bounce in place" should reduce DSP usage provided that the synth doesn't use too much DSP when idle.

Jmax

14 May 2017

Bounce in place no doubt free's up DSP. I used it recently a few times with the new Spire RE. But like Selig mentioned, having the RE still in the Rack even on mute takes up a little still. Props just need to improve on this a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Information