Advice: ReSpire VS Arturia V Collection

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

ReSpire VS Arturia V Collection

ReSpire
36%
Arturia V Collection
64%

Total votes: 28
Galaxy

25 May 2017

I'm torn, I was going to buy ReSpire at the fantastic intro price before the end of the month, but the 50% off deal for NI users for V collection seems like a huge bang for your buck. VSTs had little value to me before the 9.5 announcement, but now this offer seems too good to pass up.

Pros for ReSpire are the modern synth sounds and amazing intro price. Cons might be CPU heavy, buggy, from what I read.

The only con for V collection is it's more expensive as a whole, but it works out to $20/instrument. This offer seems way to good to pass up.

What do you guys think? How many of you have this bundle and recommend picking it up to use with the new 9.5 update that's on its way? How are the synths on the CPU hit?

FlowerSoldier

25 May 2017

It seems like the V collection includes a lot of their Instrument emus. Rhodes, hammond, etc. They also make the V synths that you may be more interested in if your going for synth sounds. I own the Prophet V and the Solina V and can confirm...they sound amazing, but they are not included in the V bundle that is on sale.

ShawnG

25 May 2017

Both the prophet V and the solina V are in the bundle

Galaxy

25 May 2017

Yes I just checked they are!

aeox
Competition Winner

26 May 2017

no question. Arturia V Collection.

Galaxy

26 May 2017

aeox wrote:no question. Arturia V Collection.
Ya, I'm leaning towards the Arturia bundle! Just imagine the modular moog and arp 2600 alone justify the price IMHO, then you get all the other amazing synths, plus pianos, keys, and organs!

To me the synths are the big draw. SEM, Prophet 5, Jupiter, CS-80, Synclavier, Matrix, Moog Modular, Mini Moog, Solina, ARP 2600!

aeox
Competition Winner

26 May 2017

Galaxy wrote:
Ya, I'm leaning towards the Arturia bundle! Just imagine the modular moog and arp 2600 alone justify the price IMHO, then you get all the other amazing synths, plus pianos, keys, and organs!

To me the synths are the big draw. SEM, Prophet 5, Jupiter, CS-80, Synclavier, Matrix, Moog Modular, Mini Moog, Solina, ARP 2600!
indeed. i really love the Modular V!

Galaxy

26 May 2017

aeox wrote:
Galaxy wrote:

Do you have the whole bundle? Can you comment on the CPU hit?

aeox
Competition Winner

26 May 2017

Galaxy wrote:
aeox wrote:
Galaxy wrote:

Do you have the whole bundle? Can you comment on the CPU hit?
yes i do. Modular V is CPU intensive. although, most good synths are!

a basic 16 voice unison saw wave with Modular V and Serum shows that Modular V consumes much more CPU in that particular situation (not sure if it's a great comparison)

tumar

27 May 2017

Arturia of course! I have only two of those 17 plugins: Mini and SEM. Both are superb, especially bass.
Arturia is well established audio company, they make plugins, hardware instruments (!), audio interface, midi controllers, grooveboxes etc.
https://www.arturia.com/products

Karim
Competition Winner

27 May 2017

Galaxy wrote:I'm torn, I was going to buy ReSpire at the fantastic intro price before the end of the month, but the 50% off deal for NI users for V collection seems like a huge bang for your buck. VSTs had little value to me before the 9.5 announcement, but now this offer seems too good to pass up.

Pros for ReSpire are the modern synth sounds and amazing intro price. Cons might be CPU heavy, buggy, from what I read.

The only con for V collection is it's more expensive as a whole, but it works out to $20/instrument. This offer seems way to good to pass up.

What do you guys think? How many of you have this bundle and recommend picking it up to use with the new 9.5 update that's on its way? How are the synths on the CPU hit?
I'm sorry. But it's like doing a poll between New Rob Papen Eq RE and an entire Fabfilter or Waves bundle.
It's not a fair comparison. A little ridiculous IMO.

Among others Respire and the numerous Arturia synths are all great. :roll:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

aeox
Competition Winner

27 May 2017

Karim wrote:
Galaxy wrote:I'm torn, I was going to buy ReSpire at the fantastic intro price before the end of the month, but the 50% off deal for NI users for V collection seems like a huge bang for your buck. VSTs had little value to me before the 9.5 announcement, but now this offer seems too good to pass up.

I'm sorry. But it's like doing a poll between New Rob Papen Eq RE and an entire Fabfilter or Waves bundle.

yea true! i am extremely biased... from the perspective of a sound designer that rarely uses presets, i see a much greater value in the Arturia collection considering almost all of my music is comprised of slight variations of basic saw waves. this bundle really suits me. i find Spire to be a bit "aliasy" or "artifacty" if you will. those aren't words, but i'm going to pretend they are!

Galaxy

27 May 2017

Karim wrote:

Yes I agree it is apples to oranges. I wanted to get opinions from those who own either and some who might be considering either. Help convince me to justify my insticts. The poll isn't necessarily a comparison, its more about a decision. If spire is all it's cracked up to be than it must be a good synth. Arturia on the other hand fills a different category, vintage synth emus/models. Before the 9.5 announcement I wouldn't ever consider this bundle, but now it has a lot of value to me.

Galaxy

27 May 2017

aeox wrote:
Karim wrote:

yea true! i am extremely biased... from the perspective of a sound designer that rarely uses presets, i see a much greater value in the Arturia collection considering almost all of my music is comprised of slight variations of basic saw waves. this bundle really suits me. i find Spire to be a bit "aliasy" or "artifacty" if you will. those aren't words, but i'm going to pretend they are!

This is a valid point as well. I would think the sound design possibilities in spire are also a factor, wouldn't it be? Unless those who use it, use it for mostly presets, which I'm not big on either.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 May 2017

Galaxy wrote:
aeox wrote:
Karim wrote:

This is a valid point as well. I would think the sound design possibilities in spire are also a factor, wouldn't it be? Unless those who use it, use it for mostly presets, which I'm not big on either.
someone touched on this in a different post.
the presets do give the consumer a great idea of what you can make with it. although, those presets aren't very practical because many of them are just huge sounds that take up the entire frequency spectrum.

most people that are going to give an opinion on a synth will be basing that opinion off of what they hear in the presets. also lets face it, most people merely skim through presets and find what they like and move on from there.

so yea, it would be kind of wrong to compare a single synth vs the Arturia collection, but for my personal sonic endeavors, i'd easily take the Modular V (for example) over Spire. But since the Modular V is $149 dollars by itself on the website, I'd just get collection ! 50% off???!?? :D
Last edited by aeox on 28 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

CephaloPod

28 May 2017

At 50% off, the V Collection is the obvious choice.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

QVprod

28 May 2017

If you're considering V Collection, you may also want to look at Syntronik http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=10700

raymondh

28 May 2017

CephaloPod wrote:At 50% off, the V Collection is the obvious choice.
Yes it is a bargain. With V5 they have new UIs too and the instruments are much easier to program patches.

reSpire is great too.

I would say if you want a really wide sound palette, then go Arturia.
If you want fantastic cutting edge sounds - especially for EDM, but with ability to sound warm and vintage then ReSpire.

CephaloPod

28 May 2017

Uh oh. Looks like there's another option now:

http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/ik-m ... ment/62847

Haven't used any of the IK synths though, so can't speak to their quality.

edit: QV beat me to it a few posts up.
Last edited by CephaloPod on 28 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Reason/Logic

fieldframe
RE Developer

28 May 2017

Looks like the big difference between V Collection and Syntronik is that the latter is sample-based (with some clever tricks to make the samples behave more realistically). Arturia is an 8 gig install, while IK will be a 50 gig install.

At least for me, being on an SSD, that rules out Syntronik.

CephaloPod

28 May 2017

fieldframe wrote:Looks like the big difference between V Collection and Syntronik is that the latter is sample-based (with some clever tricks to make the samples behave more realistically). Arturia is an 8 gig install, while IK will be a 50 gig install.

Yeah, I tend to agree. 50 gigs is a lot, and not sure that approach to analogue modeling is the best choice. Haven't head the synths though, so who knows.
Reason/Logic

Mysterygrimms

29 May 2017

Arturia is a no brainer and the obvious choice! The Solina V Synth, makes this bundle worth it alone imo...

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Galaxy

29 May 2017

fieldframe wrote:Looks like the big difference between V Collection and Syntronik is that the latter is sample-based (with some clever tricks to make the samples behave more realistically). Arturia is an 8 gig install, while IK will be a 50 gig install.

Yes, some people see value in "more GB" content. I agree being on an SSD myself that 50GB is a bit of a deal breaker, 8GB is quite small for what you're getting, so there's a lot crammed into the volume of space.

There's also something to be said about the Arturia stuff being visually realistic to the hardware, and the IK stuff being uniform from device to device. So using the IK stuff feels like you're using tools that are influenced by the actual hardware, rather than using the actual hardware "emus".

The IK stuff is also, at the moment, cheaper than the Arturia, but that's only buying into a preorder instead of being able to demo the stuff first.

Anyways, I went for it, I got the Arturia V Collection, it's just too good an offer to pass up. Although watching the comparison between the gforce, uhe, NI, Synapse, and Arturia, in the video in a different thread showed some of the weakness to the Mini V compared to the others. It's too early, so I'll have to have a play myself with the Mini V and my copy of Monark. But the real draw for this bundle was the Arp 2600 and the Modular V, with the Prophet and SEM being the extra cherries on top. I have a feeling I'll find many gems in this bundle. I saw a preview of the Farfisa and I just love that old erie sound.

Galaxy

29 May 2017

CephaloPod wrote:

Yeah, I tend to agree. 50 gigs is a lot, and not sure that approach to analogue modeling is the best choice. Haven't head the synths though, so who knows.
I agree here ;)

Galaxy

29 May 2017

Mysterygrimms wrote:Arturia is a no brainer and the obvious choice! The Solina V Synth, makes this bundle worth it alone imo...

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Really? You find the string machine to be one of the top instruments in this bundle?

• Information