Akai MPK249 - 4 instances show up in Reason Control Surfaces

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Psuper

28 May 2017

And I have a few questions about this:

Most importantly: I'd like to lock the 4 instances of the MPK249 to Patches in Reason (Right click the instrument, and there's an option to "Lock (WhateverControllerReasonSees) to this device".

I currently have Pianoteq in reason (loopmidi) locked to my KX8, and want to use the MPK249 instances to lock to other instruments and quickly swap to them when I need to. I'm assuming this is what the 4 instances are for, however I'm not sure how to "select" the different ones via the MPK249.

Any advice?

Up until recently, I did very limited controller stuff, I'm primarily a player and stuck to the mouse/keyboard side of things. However this MPK249 is incredibly fun to play with on the fly within reason - it maps so many things by default I'm guessing most of this stuff is documented somewhere but damned if I can find it anywhere - coming here to the experts hope you guys can help.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

28 May 2017

Psuper wrote:.....
I don't know the keyboard however 4 instances does not sound right, have a read of this for setting things up however it does not talk about the 4 instances. http://www.akaipro.com/kb/article/1677

Edit: (Just a small note: You should have created this in the Hardware and Other Software section, a mod may move it...)

Psuper

28 May 2017

Heya Carly yes I set it up initially following that guide. I can "uncheck" them of course, however I figured Reason was seeing some setting or channel or something that creates 4 virtual versions selectable via a key-press or channel change.

Editing them, I see each instance the "in" and "out" port is listed as midiin2 / Midiout2 (same with 3 and 4). The main master sequencer "in" and "out" port is MPK249.

Edit: and found a couple references now that I looked a bit closer:
http://community.akaipro.com/akai_profe ... midi-ports
and some links from that as well.

Not sure what it means though I'll have to look deeper.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Mysterygrimms

29 May 2017

I had this same exact issue, at the beginning of this year. I just deleted every instance and just went ahead and set up my Akai MPK249 midi controller in Reason again. That sorted the issue... I honestly don't know, what caused this to happen...

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

artotaku

29 May 2017

To lock a controller to multiple Reason devices you need multiple instances of the control surface. One way is to add a control surface with the same MIDI in/out ports multiple times if the controller has only one MIDI port. It will show up with a warning that the MIDI port is used by multiple instances though.

Note that this applies to all control items that are automapped in the remotemaps. The "Remote Overrides" feature of Reason works a bit different. Typically, if you change a knob on the controller, knobs of all locked devices will change simultaniously if the same knob is mapped on each device.

Now, if the controller shows up with multiple MIDI ports, some of the ports may represent just the physical hardware interface, e. g. if the controller has additional (old) DIN 5 connectors beside the USB port. If this is the case you cannot use them unless you connect these ports to your computer.

However, the additional ports could also be virtual ports (physically it´s just one port e. g. the USB port). Some controllers offer a virtual port for the keyboard and another for the rest of the controls (e. g. Novation Launchkey Series). One advantage using different ports is to use 16 separate MIDI channels per port, they are completely separate.

The question is if multiple ports for MPK249 offer an advantage for your use case beside using one for the keyboard and another one for the other controls.

• Information