What's on your master bus? (esp. now that VSTs are fair game)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
xRwu8

01 Jun 2017

I'm curious to hear what people are putting on their master bus these days, i.e. EQ, multiband compression, saturation, limiting, etc. I’m especially interested to hear about 2-bus chains now that we can use a combination of REs and VSTs.

I’ve long been using the standard chain from the master section of the “Empty+FX” template (MClass Equalizer > Stereo Imager > Compressor > Maximizer), as well as the SSL Master Comp, EVE-MP5, and Ozone Maximizer. (I haven’t yet bought 4Dyne, but when it’s on sale again I plan to buy and fully expect it to become a regular on my 2-bus).

Thanks for any info/suggestions :puf_bigsmile:
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

EdGrip

01 Jun 2017

I had to look up 2 bus. We know not these Gearslutz phrases.

I'm excited to have Barricade to replace the MClass maximiser, and I tried xfer's OTT out last night. That does what it says on the tin.

Oquasec

01 Jun 2017

SplineEq.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

cryonicPAX

01 Jun 2017

It matters whats come trough these busses. On Drums its the Saturator from softube, waves API 2500 and iZotope Alloy 2 (just transientshaper).
Last edited by cryonicPAX on 01 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Drum & Bass-Producer, Mixing-Engineer from Germany. :reason:

AttenuationHz

01 Jun 2017

Ah will delete my thread didn't realise there was one already!

Its an absolute must for me anyway to have in this oder.

Audio out.
K-Meter (freeware) - Monitors oversampling and comes with surround version. http://www.mzuther.de/en/software/kmeter/
Flux :: StereoToolV3 (freeware) - I use that for its Vector scope. But use it on other tracks for correcting pan. Great tool imo.
BlueCats Multi (paid) - best analyser on the market imo.
George Yohng's W1 Limiter (freeware) - Its a very simple limiter set the ceiling to -0.1dB and release to 1ms for no clipping http://www.yohng.com/software/w1limit.html

Master Out

This would be my go to template for any song and if I add other fx or master fx they are placed before all of them. I tried to find similar devices with RE but they didn't do the job as well. Always mastered outside of reason now that VST's are here it's inside of reason I'd say!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

QVprod

01 Jun 2017

I don't usually do full mixes in Reason, but for processing an instrumental

Tape Machine (Free Reaktor Ensemble)
Rob Papen RPEQ
KHz limiter

darkmaer

01 Jun 2017

Slate and more slate.

Vcc, vbc, vtm

And I'll usually have waves manny triple d to help clean up some muffled freq I might have missed overall.

Oquasec

01 Jun 2017

zwam lookin for plugs that work/don't.
found a good bit
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

deepndark

01 Jun 2017

As VST support is true now: I have ReaXcomp multiband compressor in there and rest of them vary in every project.

CephaloPod

01 Jun 2017

Still just use Ozone Maximizer RE. I have some T-Racks stuff, I might try that out on certain songs.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

chimp_spanner

01 Jun 2017

XFER OTT, depth at about 10-20 percent, bit of a bass boost. Brings all my mixes to life!! And it's free.

CephaloPod

01 Jun 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:XFER OTT, depth at about 10-20 percent, bit of a bass boost. Brings all my mixes to life!! And it's free.
I'll have to try that out, thanks.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2017

EQ, Compression, Stereo Imager, Limiter. in that order

xRwu8

01 Jun 2017

Thanks for all the info, this is great. I’ll definitely try out all the freeware Mac compatible ones, especially Xfer OTT which seems very popular here and elsewhere. I have Reaktor 5, so thanks for the Tape Machine ensemble tip, didn't know that existed. Barricade seems like a definite contender for purchasing.

The Slate stuff also looks really cool, but seems mainly to be used for subtle warmth/saturation during the mixing stage? Kind of like Sonimus Satson/Britson. Regardless I’ll eventually buy some or all of those, esp VTM.

Keep the chains coming! :thumbs_up:
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

AttenuationHz

01 Jun 2017

aeox wrote:EQ, Compression, Stereo Imager, Limiter. in that order
No VST's then :roll:
CephaloPod wrote:Still just use Ozone Maximizer RE. I have some T-Racks stuff, I might try that out on certain songs.
The RE version is no where near the same as VST version imo. I'm not too sure what version the RE version is based on but comparing the maximiser from ozone 5 to the RE version there is definite differences in transient recovery that is with transient recovery off on the VST version. When you squash the signal on both you hear more clarity with the VST version.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
aeox wrote:EQ, Compression, Stereo Imager, Limiter. in that order
No VST's then :roll:
CephaloPod wrote:Still just use Ozone Maximizer RE. I have some T-Racks stuff, I might try that out on certain songs.
The RE version is no where near the same as VST version imo. I'm not too sure what version the RE version is based on but comparing the maximiser from ozone 5 to the RE version there is definite differences in transient recovery that is with transient recovery off on the VST version. When you squash the signal on both you hear more clarity with the VST version.

VST limiter ;)

AttenuationHz

01 Jun 2017

aeox wrote:

VST limiter ;)
:lol: Can't be more specific?!

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
aeox wrote:

VST limiter ;)
i can but i figured the original poster was after effect chains, rather than specific plugins. i use Ozone Maximizer :]

AttenuationHz

01 Jun 2017

aeox wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
aeox wrote:

VST limiter ;)
i can but i figured the original poster was after effect chains, rather than specific plugins. i use Ozone Maximizer :]
:thumbs_up:

EnochLight

01 Jun 2017

xRwu8 wrote:I'm curious to hear what people are putting on their master bus these days
Softube TubeTech, Selig Gain, and a maximizer (I bounce between Ozone and Kuassa's Kratos 2). I meter loudness with the awesomely free Youlean Loudness Meter and VPS Scope for stereo phase and overall metering.

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Biolumin3sc3nt

01 Jun 2017

Metering and limiters aside - I love this lil Gem by Brainworx ( Plugin Alliance )

• Information