Frequency analysers and Reason 9.5

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
AttenuationHz

06 Jun 2017

I use Blue Cats freqanalyst multi and I've noticed that Reason is not able to keep updating the curve in time with the music. I don't know if its something that can be fixed my end or if it is Reason or the plug-in. I used to use Synapse GQ-7 for analysing as you can move the frequency of an eq up or down to pin point the exact frequency instead of guessing with the built in analyser. When you had multiple instances of synapse on each channel in the rack things got very laggy for the graphics on the EQ and still do. I thought it was just the RE.

That is what I'm finding with the freqanalyst in reason when its only on one track even. It could be the plug-in could be reason could be both. There is a definite visual delay in what you hear and what you see - what you see is behind what you hear. I've used it in Ableton, ProTools, Reaper as a plug-in on Patchworks in stand alone and have not had it happen with them. Are other analysers doing the same for other people in Reason.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

cryonicPAX

07 Jun 2017

The delay could be coused by the Delay Compensation. Did u try it without the DC?
Drum & Bass-Producer, Mixing-Engineer from Germany. :reason:

AttenuationHz

07 Jun 2017

cryonicPAX wrote:The delay could be coused by the Delay Compensation. Did u try it without the DC?
I did its had no apparent effect.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Hauser+Quaid

08 Jun 2017

I've noticed a few graphic related things seem to be laggy in analysers & in other things (some Reaktor synths for example). I use SPAN as my main analyser and it's fine for me but I also use it in average mode not realtime since for me it helps find the peaks better.

Hopefully graphic lag in general is something that'll improve over time with updates & future versions.

AttenuationHz

08 Jun 2017

Hauser+Quaid wrote:I've noticed a few graphic related things seem to be laggy in analysers & in other things (some Reaktor synths for example). I use SPAN as my main analyser and it's fine for me but I also use it in average mode not realtime since for me it helps find the peaks better.

Hopefully graphic lag in general is something that'll improve over time with updates & future versions.
Hmm here's hoping the GQ-7 graphical latency with heavy sessions is still present. I think it might be down to reason not being capable of displaying it properly. TBH I have Span also and on the 1 setting it has no apparent latency its only when you increase the block size to larger than 8192 that it falls behind.

Question for the floor! Does anybody know what reason uses to display graphics? DirectX OpenGL some other magical mystery? Delay compensation doesn't even count as it is graphical.

lowpryo

08 Jun 2017

I get this same kind of graphical lag with Serum. I reported a bug and they said they've gotten a few similar reports and are looking into it!

AttenuationHz

08 Jun 2017

lowpryo wrote:I get this same kind of graphical lag with Serum. I reported a bug and they said they've gotten a few similar reports and are looking into it!
I will do the same so. A synth fair enough but a frequency analysers job is to represent what's being played visually! I have noticed it in the past too just thought it was the RE's. The G8 gate does it too, I can only describe that as visual phasing if you get me, the meters don't report what is a steady volume instead every 1st 2nd 3rd beat reports at a lower volume on the meter.

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
lowpryo wrote:I get this same kind of graphical lag with Serum. I reported a bug and they said they've gotten a few similar reports and are looking into it!
I will do the same so. A synth fair enough but a frequency analysers job is to represent what's being played visually! I have noticed it in the past too just thought it was the RE's. The G8 gate does it too, I can only describe that as visual phasing if you get me, the meters don't report what is a steady volume instead every 1st 2nd 3rd beat reports at a lower volume on the meter.
I'm going to guess it's to do with the refresh/frame rate - each RE can adjust frame rate to whatever value they choose, typically 10-20 frames per second. When you input a low steady tone (sine wave) you may see some variation depending on the frequency you choose. Higher frame rates affect the CPU hit of the device, thus the reasons some devs may choose a lower frame rate.
Selig Audio, LLC

AttenuationHz

08 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
I'm going to guess it's to do with the refresh/frame rate - each RE can adjust frame rate to whatever value they choose, typically 10-20 frames per second. When you input a low steady tone (sine wave) you may see some variation depending on the frequency you choose. Higher frame rates affect the CPU hit of the device, thus the reasons some devs may choose a lower frame rate.
Could well be. There is no v-sync option though! There is a Hz value in BlueCats multi which I have no clue what it does. The default is 50hz. Setting it to 60 or 59.95hz as per monitor does sweet FA. I've been using it in other DAWs a good few years and have not come across any latency with it. I even tried to force reason to use v-sync in GeForce app settings when i experienced it with GQ-7, with a shaking fist, it did not work as I suspected was worth a try though. Not sure if you can force the settings on a plug-in?!

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
selig wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
Could well be. There is no v-sync option though! There is a Hz value in BlueCats multi which I have no clue what it does. The default is 50hz. Setting it to 60 or 59.95hz as per monitor does sweet FA. I've been using it in other DAWs a good few years and have not come across any latency with it. I even tried to force reason to use v-sync in GeForce app settings when i experienced it with GQ-7, with a shaking fist, it did not work as I suspected was worth a try though.
To be more clear, I was speaking only to what you called "visual phasing", not display "latency" as in the subject of this thread - sorry for not specifying!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Hauser+Quaid

08 Jun 2017

I did too, especially with both wavetables on 3d mode. There were a few presets in my bank that had usage delays because of graphics lag.

AttenuationHz

08 Jun 2017

Hauser+Quaid wrote:
I did too, especially with both wavetables on 3d mode. There were a few presets in my bank that had usage delays because of graphics lag.
If reason took advantage of integrated graphics or GPU I think there would be no problem!

RandomSkratch

08 Jun 2017

I have one plugin that definitely has visual performance issues in Reason that aren't there in Live and has been reported. It's a limiter plugin (Toneboosters Barricade). I've tried SPAN and Vengeance Sound Scope CM (which is the Computer Music version and is pretty awesome) and they both respond with no issues.

• Information