James Bernard - Reason 9.5 With Spectrasonics

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Gulale

07 Jun 2017

What? loading in Reason faster than other DAW? what the hell is wrong with this guy? loading is dependent of the speed of your disk which does't have anything to do with DAW. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with him after all this time? I was so excited to see him once again and he just turned me off immediately with that phrase.
Gulale aka Bereket

tiker01

07 Jun 2017

I think he just wanted to sat something nice about Reason. :D Don`t be so harsh with him. ;)

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Gorgon

07 Jun 2017

Yeah it's a bit silly that he concludes that the sounds are loading fast "because Reason is so CPU efficient" and the DSP meter is low. Duh. The DSP isn't doing anything yet.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

jonheal

07 Jun 2017

Gulale wrote:What? loading in Reason faster than other DAW? what the hell is wrong with this guy? loading is dependent of the speed of your disk which does't have anything to do with DAW. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with him after all this time? I was so excited to see him once again and he just turned me off immediately with that phrase.
Harsh.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

jonheal

07 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:Yeah it's a bit silly that he concludes that the sounds are loading fast "because Reason is so CPU efficient" and the DSP meter is low. Duh. The DSP isn't doing anything yet.
Harsh.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

lowpryo

07 Jun 2017

man, regardless of what he's saying, it's a cool throwback to hear James give a Reason tutorial again. his old videos with PH were basically the foundation of my electronic music journey.

Gorgon

07 Jun 2017

jonheal wrote: Harsh.
Harsh? Oh dear, someone has critique on a youtube video! No, that can't be! We are not supposed to give any critique, on anything! We need to get rid of quality standards and facts, and all dance happily together around a rainbow colored tree, hand in hand.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Dante

07 Jun 2017

Gulale wrote:What? loading in Reason faster than other DAW? what the hell is wrong with this guy? loading is dependent of the speed of your disk which does't have anything to do with DAW. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with him after all this time? I was so excited to see him once again and he just turned me off immediately with that phrase.
Doesn't that also depend on what the 'other' daw is doing when it loads Omnisphere ? It may well be doing other pre-allocation tasks less efficiently than Reason, so therefore the comment may at least be partly justified. The comment may lack detail, but that doesn't mean it's totally invalid.

Gulale

07 Jun 2017

Seriously, You are trying to create a loop hole to justify his conclusion? Man anybody can tell that he is using SSD drive man. It takes the same amount of time for me to load Waves piano HD version as he did it in any DAW out there. Defending him is silly though.
Gulale aka Bereket

ShawnG

07 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:
Harsh? Oh dear, someone has critique on a youtube video! No, that can't be! We are not supposed to give any critique, on anything! We need to get rid of quality standards and facts, and all dance happily together around a rainbow colored tree, hand in hand.

Well, when you make a public qritique you are also susceptible to being critiqued in turn. In his case, he thought that your critique was harsh. I agree with him. Can't take it, don't give it.

Gorgon

07 Jun 2017

ShawnG wrote: Well, when you make a public qritique you are also susceptible to being critiqued in turn. In his case, he thought that your critique was harsh. I agree with him. Can't take it, don't give it.
Well if you think that an accurate factual bit of critique is harsh, I wonder how you deal with life. Must be harsh.

Dante

07 Jun 2017

Gulale wrote:Seriously, You are trying to create a loop hole to justify his conclusion? Man anybody can tell that he is using SSD drive man. It takes the same amount of time for me to load Waves piano HD version as he did it in any DAW out there. Defending him is silly though.
I'm not creating nor justifying anything. Just pointing out that since he doesn't say what DAW its inconclusive, so any opposing view is just as inconclusive.

Jagwah

07 Jun 2017

I sometimes wonder what it was that made him suddenly leave and never come back. It was right before REs were introduced I think, when the 'in the box' dynamic was opened up a little, can't help but think that had something to do with it. Then again, as a Reason user I do tend to speculate.

Raveshaper

07 Jun 2017

I believe it involved a tragedy in his family. That, and Live seems to be what he uses now.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Catblack

07 Jun 2017

Jagwah wrote:I sometimes wonder what it was that made him suddenly leave and never come back. It was right before REs were introduced I think, when the 'in the box' dynamic was opened up a little, can't help but think that had something to do with it. Then again, as a Reason user I do tend to speculate.
http://www.reason101.net/contributions/ ... are-trust/

and I believe the benefit refill is still available at

http://www.3rdfloorsound.com/bernard-ch ... trust.html
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

QVprod

07 Jun 2017

Good to see James Benard do a Reason video! If nothing else, the nostalgia and video flashbacks was worth it.

CephaloPod

08 Jun 2017

I miss that dude!
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

joeyluck

08 Jun 2017

Gulale wrote:Seriously, You are trying to create a loop hole to justify his conclusion?
I'm not sure what people objecting to, but this video is published by Spectrasonics about their product.

deepndark

08 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:
Well you don't have to be harsh and still correct JB.

Audiotic

08 Jun 2017

Dude, you need to chill and recognize that things you might not yet have experienced are not necessarily untrue!

Loading my Cinestrings Core Patches in Reason is done in about half (if not less) the time it takes in Cubase. Same Machine, same File Location.

So for me, instead of dismissing the video as a whole after that phrase, I continued watching after nodding in agreement!

Yes, he is advertising Spectrsonic in this video, so expect bias about the awesomeness of their products, but no use lying about Reason performance when selling VSTs.

joeyluck

08 Jun 2017

Audiotic wrote:
Yes, he is advertising Spectrsonic in this video, so expect bias about the awesomeness of their products, but no use lying about Reason performance when selling VSTs.
Exactly. Same point I made above. This is a video published by Spectrasonics about their product.

miscend

08 Jun 2017

Disk speed is one factor but it doesn't tell the whole story. An inefficient DAW will be not be very responsive and may take a long time to load plugins depending on how it uses resources. There are many factors involved for example if you have a DAW which is prone to memory leaks.

jfrichards

09 Jun 2017

Nice to see you James. Congratulations on working with Spectrasonics, such a great set of synths. I still refer to your 52 weeks series.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 134198A5E9

That is such a good idea, to use Spectrasonics inside Reason. Unfortunately, retirement has limited my music budget.

• Information