Reason 9.5 gets rated 10/10 by MusicTech

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pongasoft
RE Developer

09 Jun 2017

See for yourself :)

Reason 9.5 Review – The Best Kind of Crossover
http://www.musictech.net/2017/06/reason-9-5-review/

Yan

WongoTheSane

09 Jun 2017

The tide is turning... :)

AttenuationHz

09 Jun 2017

Love how it say €139 for the upgrade its €129.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:Love how it say €139 for the upgrade its €129.
Maybe they have the inside scoop :o

AttenuationHz

09 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote:That is such a poorly written article.

And 10/10 would suggest that the author believes that there is nothing to be changed, that 9.5 is absolute perfection. I smell 'cash for comment' journalism here.
If you mean that the rating suggests that there is nothing more that could improve it yes. I would rate 9.5 very low in terms of improvements we have VST's and its amazing but there is much more to do to fully integrate them in reason. They are kind of just put on the table for us to dabble with. I rated 9.5 in the pole thread 5 but my expectations are higher. That 10/10 rating has no bias at all the other stuff that needs to be improved.
Propellerhead listened, it always does, and eventually added the audio that people were screaming for albeit over a couple of separate updates. Then those damn people wanted third party plug-ins so the Props did it in their own Rack Extension way and some great third party add-ons were born. Those people, though, they just don’t shut up…
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2017

And 10/10 would suggest that the author believes that there is nothing to be changed, that 9.5 is absolute perfection. I smell 'cash for comment' journalism here.
MusicTech gave Reason 9 9/10, so it makes sense that it would give a higher score to 9.5.

AttenuationHz

09 Jun 2017

avasopht wrote:

MusicTech gave Reason 9 9/10, so it makes sense that it would give a higher score to 9.5.
They gave 8 a 9/10 review too. Previous versions didn't have review scores.

jonheal

09 Jun 2017

At least they didn't give it an 11. :)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Zac

09 Jun 2017

For some reason I felt the need to make a 'rate reason 9.5' thread when I was feeling enthusiastic. The fact that this threads survey gives it a ten reminds me of how I felt. Since then I've had reason crash with 'unknown exception' twice and a few vst instruments crash many times mainly when patch browsing so my rating would be substantially less now.

VIVIsect

09 Jun 2017

9.5 is getting there, but still far from perfection. Those VSTs that are integrated sooo well don't have drag and drop functionality from Reason's browser, which is a bit ridiculous.

Not to mention some other aspects of Reason that are in desperate need of updating.

AttenuationHz

10 Jun 2017

Zac wrote:For some reason I felt the need to make a 'rate reason 9.5' thread when I was feeling enthusiastic. The fact that this threads survey gives it a ten reminds me of how I felt. Since then I've had reason crash with 'unknown exception' twice and a few vst instruments crash many times mainly when patch browsing so my rating would be substantially less now.
Interesting. On that note I wonder how well it would do and how people would rate it now that the dust has settled.
VIVIsect wrote:9.5 is getting there, but still far from perfection. Those VSTs that are integrated sooo well don't have drag and drop functionality from Reason's browser, which is a bit ridiculous.

Not to mention some other aspects of Reason that are in desperate need of updating.
It is a drag, or not to be more precise( no pun intended). There is so many other features I would have liking to see first before VST we're added. Think the pressure was on from that new investor and majority shareholder they got a few months back. No doubt the next update whenever that will be see more stability maybe even VST3.

Oquasec

10 Jun 2017

Reason 9 is a 9/10 imo. Piano roll features and macros, more themes etc and it's golden [Or platinum whatever]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Gorgon

10 Jun 2017

I'd give Reason 7 an 7, Reason 8 a 6, Reason 9 a 7, and Reason 9.5 an 8. But it's still a long way from a 10.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

deepndark

10 Jun 2017

Reason 9.5 rated as 10/10 makes sense already because it melted us together with all the other VST DAWs. We are not outsiders anymore.

Gorgon

10 Jun 2017

deepndark wrote:Reason 9.5 rated as 10/10 makes sense already because it melted us together with all the other VST DAWs. We are not outsiders anymore.
No, it doesn't make any sense, and it has nothing to do with being an "outsider". A 10/10 means perfect, and Reason is by no means perfect.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

deepndark

10 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:
deepndark wrote:Reason 9.5 rated as 10/10 makes sense already because it melted us together with all the other VST DAWs. We are not outsiders anymore.
No, it doesn't make any sense, and it has nothing to do with being an "outsider". A 10/10 means perfect, and Reason is by no means perfect.
10/10 doesn't mean it has to be perfect already. And please stop thinking your opinion cancels mine.
EDIT: 10 comes from VST support and delay compensation and whatever else was addeed to 9.5.
If 10 can be given only in 2020 - what's the point rating it at all?

esselfortium

10 Jun 2017

"Perfect" software is a fictional concept. In any piece of software, there will always be something more to add and some annoyances to be fixed.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

WillyOD

10 Jun 2017

I give Reason, its developers and users: a hug.

Have a good one, enjoy this amazing software and be patient because it will get "there" eventually. We're well on our way...
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

EnochLight

10 Jun 2017

It's a great review, for sure - and one that I feel earned every star of those 10 stars. That said, even though I've never found MusicTech or Music Radar reviews to be that biased, they often miss the mark. There's absolutely no mention of the DSP/CPU use that many people seem to be suffering from, which I find odd. Makes me wonder if Andy Jones actually a/b'd other DAW's at all. That single thing is far more important than "the graphic representation of the VSTs in the Rack is small". I mean, seriously? Lol

Anyway, I'm glad to see Reason get a 10-star review for the first time. It's been a long journey, and one that I hope won't end anytime soon.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

davidvilla

10 Jun 2017

It's just premature excitement over FINALLY being able to use high quality sound generating devices in the rack. We're in the honeymoon phase. Pretty soon though, Reason is going to start wearing sweatpants, and not putting on makeup, and farting.

poshook

10 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:It's a great review, for sure - and one that I feel earned every star of those 10 stars. That said, even though I've never found MusicTech or Music Radar reviews to be that biased, they often miss the mark. There's absolutely no mention of the DSP/CPU use that many people seem to be suffering from, which I find odd. Makes me wonder if Andy Jones actually a/b'd other DAW's at all. That single thing is far more important than "the graphic representation of the VSTs in the Rack is small". I mean, seriously? Lol

Anyway, I'm glad to see Reason get a 10-star review for the first time. It's been a long journey, and one that I hope won't end anytime soon.
I have the same impression of the review. "the graphic representation of the VSTs in the Rack is small" what a bullshit....
VST performance is really funny in Reason for now but after performance optimisation it will be hard to beat.
However As Logic user I miss some midi editing capabilities in sequencer. So for me 7/10

AttenuationHz

10 Jun 2017

By the same merit other DAWs should be rated 12/10 or 15/10 then! We have VST support but not VST 3 support, when other DAWs support vst3, the 10/10 rating is a little bit premature.

joeyluck

10 Jun 2017

People have some interesting views on how they feel things should be rated. If we're rating things on a scale of 1 to 10 assuming everything will always progress and can and will get better, nothing would ever be a 10 at any point in time.

Reason is Reason. No other DAW is Reason. Reason 9.5 is a free update that builds upon everything that was introduced with Reason 9; such as Players, Pitch Edit, Audio-to-MIDI...and now VST support and PDC. If Reason 9 got a 9/10 and then you add this update for free...you can only go up. http://www.musictech.net/2016/08/propel ... -9-review/

When rating something, you rate it on what it is and how it delivers what it seeks to do. You have to consider the experience and what is added to that experience. You have to consider value; how much did the Reason 9 upgrade cost? Which is lower and more flexible than most DAW upgrades. How much does the 9.5 upgrade cost? It's free. How much does it add over previous versions? How valuable is it to a new customer? All-in-all, plenty of valuable things have been added to a DAW that is unique amongst it's peers.

Plenty of room for improvement. But there's always room for improvement with any piece of software.

Gorgon

10 Jun 2017

deepndark wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
10/10 doesn't mean it has to be perfect already. And please stop thinking your opinion cancels mine.
Lol what? This is called a discussion. I bring arguments. You can respond to those. A 10 out of 10 is the highest possible score meaning a perfect score. Ever been to school? Ever took a test where you didn't make a single mistake? That's a 10. Perfect score. 10 out of 10 is perfect. Reason isn't perfect. Nothing is. Period.

deepndark

10 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
By the same merit other DAWs should be rated 12/10 or 15/10 then! We have VST support but not VST 3 support, when other DAWs support vst3, the 10/10 rating is a little bit premature.
But other DAWs ain't Reason. I have tried out some other DAWs but they wouldn't get 12/10 because they don't feel as good as Reason.

• Information