newb question on the mix

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
demt

09 Aug 2017

OK so youve set up all the options on mastering the mix with all the effects making a perfect 3d sound,when the track suddenly adds a vocalist, changes pitch adds another instrument ,couple of drum roles a solo on keyboards etc etc means youve got to automate the mastering suite you are using,this leads me to believe mastering is not a short process that you do once in the mix but days of hard graft adjusting all the levels as the song interwines with itself the question is how mutch do you automate as listening to the song for the 3 hundreth time just to get the levels right accros the board nails your ear with the sheer amount of repitition let alone your heart with sheer labouriessness
deont know what im trying to prove, just wondering if there are similary mined people and their worth of comment of being in the same boat
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

AttenuationHz

09 Aug 2017

demt wrote:
09 Aug 2017
OK so youve set up all the options on mastering the mix with all the effects making a perfect 3d sound,when the track suddenly adds a vocalist, changes pitch adds another instrument ,couple of drum roles a solo on keyboards etc etc means youve got to automate the mastering suite you are using,this leads me to believe mastering is not a short process that you do once in the mix but days of hard graft adjusting all the levels as the song interwines with itself the question is how mutch do you automate as listening to the song for the 3 hundreth time just to get the levels right accros the board nails your ear with the sheer amount of repitition let alone your heart with sheer labouriessness
deont know what im trying to prove, just wondering if there are similary mined people and their worth of comment of being in the same boat
Sounds like you're not done mixing yet to master!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Loque

09 Aug 2017

I dont care too much on rules and techniques, maybe because actually I am experimenting a lot atm. But i have a big problem after hearing a song pretty often - i loose the interest, things sound boring, i add too much bs... For my final steps i dont do too much, also on loudness, because i dont want to kill the dynamics. If you want to get famous, get a good chord melody, a good vocal, do the typical arrangement, lower the bass and high and concentrate on the mid, crank up the compressor and limiter and you are done. In today's commercial tracks you really can identify a instrument, i hear only muddy stuff with a vocal and melody in front and don't forget the pumping...
Reason12, Win10

sumusik

09 Aug 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Aug 2017
demt wrote:
09 Aug 2017
Sounds like you're not done mixing yet to master!
Exactly what AttenuationHz wrote.

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2017

The track should sound good without anything on the master channel. Most people aim for around -6db before hitting the master channel so they have that headroom to add additional processes if needed.

Sure, you can do some EQ, compression to "glue" the mix, and stereo imaging but it should still sound good and balanced without any of that.

Wickline

09 Aug 2017

I could be wrong but usually you shouldn't need any automation in your master chain. Should be done in the mixing stage. Unless there's some thing specific you're going for i.e. A long fade in/out or something similar. I once did a track that started with a heavy vinyl record effect that faded away as it got into the first verse and back in on the outro. This was still at the front of the chain before any of the standard mastering fx though.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

• Information