Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

23 Sep 2017

Rectro wrote:
23 Sep 2017
For the new buyer Reason 10 offers fantastic value, and maybe thats where their marketing was directed to for Reason 10?
Exactly. For new customers it is a good deal. They get lots of good things to get started. Tbh, that made me hop into Reason years back.

Existing customers already have enough content and instruments, even more since VST support. But well, maybe they get more money, more customers and we get more things done by PH that is already overtime. Guess thats it what we all want.
Reason12, Win10

etyrnal

23 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
Rectro wrote:
23 Sep 2017
For the new buyer Reason 10 offers fantastic value, and maybe thats where their marketing was directed to for Reason 10?
Exactly. For new customers it is a good deal. They get lots of good things to get started. Tbh, that made me hop into Reason years back.

Existing customers already have enough content and instruments, even more since VST support. But well, maybe they get more money, more customers and we get more things done by PH that is already overtime. Guess thats it what we all want.
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me about adding "features" to reason that only attract new buyers, is that if you make reason awesome for existing users, you're making it awesome for any user that comes along. So why only make new buyers happy? If you make existing users very happy, you're basically demonstrating that you're making a reason even more awesome to the people who already know it's awesome and are using it, so new users will see that, know and know that propellerhead will take care of them even after they've become a buyer, not just before.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Loque

23 Sep 2017

etyrnal wrote:
23 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me about adding "features" to reason that only attract new buyers, is that if you make reason awesome for existing users, you're making it awesome for any user that comes along. So why only make new buyers happy? If you make existing users very happy, you're basically demonstrating that you're making a reason even more awesome to the people who already know it's awesome and are using it, so new users will see that, know and know that propellerhead will take care of them even after they've become a buyer, not just before.

I would normally agree, but from marketing and sales perspective it sells better to offer more content. Guess they target new musicians and they don't know about such things. Existing musicians won't switch to Reason.
Reason12, Win10

esselfortium

23 Sep 2017

I've been using Reason as my primary DAW since 2003 (version 2.5!) and to be entirely honest, the 7, 8, and 9 updates all felt seriously underwhelming to me when taken individually. 9.5 and 10 are both easily the most I've cared about Reason updates since probably version 3 or 4, when everything was new and exciting to me. (And I do have a substantial collection of plugins and sounds.)

9.5 was such a quantum leap in terms of capabilities and possibilities that I can understand why some folks aren't so interested in what 10 has to offer, but I think it was crucial for the built-in instruments to be refreshed like this to keep Reason competitive as an attractive option for new users, and I expect a lot of existing users will come to appreciate them eventually, too. And with this now "out of the way," I'd imagine the next big update will focus on workflow and UI revisions.

Personally though, I'm thrilled with what we're getting. I usually hold out for a more enticing mid-update like 8.2 or 9.5 before I seriously consider updating, but I'll definitely be grabbing 10 on day one.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

23 Sep 2017

Rectro wrote:
23 Sep 2017
Propellerhead has created a whip for their own back by releasing VST support too early. If VST support was included as part of R10 then I think the tone would be a bit better, but do they not understand that their users expect a new version to included "a new version of Reason" What Reason 10 looks to be is a expansion pack?

What has surprised me is how I got it within 10 seconds after watching the video. yet they didn't see this? VST support opened the flood gates for its users to buy Instruments and effects. All the sales that went on would have given every opportunity for us to get every single synth we could have ever wanted. Add to that many own Radical Piano, and Syncronouse I do, plus I got some new VST synths and effects, I dont need any more synths or effects, and dont need to buy two racks again that I already own.

Dan
It may be fantastic value, but I kind of agree with some thoughts that perhaps this release is looking rushed—especially so close to 9.5—that perhaps this might have been better kept back until the spring and given some extra iteration.

It's your latter point where I think you're wide of the mark, though: note that the announcement video very, very specifically is not aimed at attacting new users, it's aimed at existing users who always want "more": "It's what we want". It's right there in the video, with its generic EDM soundtrack that could have been made with pretty much any modern synth: it's not been designed to showcase any of the new synths or samplers, suggesting it's been produced with none of them.

For a new user buying Reason for the first time on 25th October (unless they've been following the feature lists for years and biding their time waiting to pounce!) remember it's not more of anything, it's merely the content, neither more or less, other than something or nothing. And something is always more than nothing!

But it's also true that a new synth in the stock package was over-due. of the IDT's, Humana is arguably the most interesting from a general user tonal view as voices are notable from their absence in the FSB; so regardless of it being a quick relicense and ReFill repackaging job, and I'm not immune to this ;) , it does make a lot of sense to get these types of sounds to everyone.

I'm just a little surprised they've gone for two synths though, and ended up with... I don't know. Compared to all the other PH Reason synths, stock or RE, even the original v1 skin for Parsec, the GUI's for both Europa and Grain, are ... I don't know. Something is off about them, they look underdeveloped—as Fieldframe and others have noted—to the extent that the What's New in Reason 10 image is still a version without the device name on it*. :puf_wink:

____
*as of 30 hours after the page was published... no doubt this will be fixed on Monday and anyone reading this post on Tuesday will think I'm talking nonsense, although I'm aware that's usually hard to differentiate from anything else I post ;)
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 23 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

pjeudy

23 Sep 2017

Rectro wrote:
23 Sep 2017
Dan
Maybe you are right!
Also part of it is our fault. we expected for there to be some kind of special, new software breakthrough from the number 10.
There was some kind of expectation in the number 10, hoping that Propellerhead having broken the heavens with VST support would be free to change the world of DAW with some innovative software tech...because...well...it's the number 10.
And they failed to do so in the the software DAW innovation part. what we have is 2 new synth that looks good and 3 IDT devices (sample packs with cool effects process on them) and Radical piano which has been there, so it's simply slick to add the word new to it simply because you wont to pay for it now..(But it ain't no NEW device in the same way as those other 5....gotta love Marketing)

Synth or devices is what Propellerheads are experts at coding! Nothing new here. I expect every single Props devices to look and sound good no one should be shocked.
But in R10 What I wanted to see is not "ooh, look we know how to make synths look good" but I was hoping for Propellerhead to change the game not just in terms of what other DAW can do but also I wanted them to out do themselves in the DAW department, like they are out doing themselves with better and better looking UI's.

Some are happy that these devices are Reason Native only...not me..I left that RE boat long ago. I gravitate more towards being able to use a devices in more then one ENVIRONMENT when ever possible it's simply a smarter move for me, but I understand not for others...and that's why 2 new synth and 3 processed sound pack devices is not enough to attract me to REASON 10 what would do it is Props said Ok let's attack those features from other DAW and even makes some new ones they haven't thought of. That's the kind of mind set that would attract me at this point... not look more synth....Yea..Propellerhead no how much people like sugar and So do I.

And even to those people who say "this is a great update deal you get 5 New devices for $129" everybody else is silly for not agreeing with them....To which I say, there will always be new shiny devices to look at and loose your mind over. As an example you can even say that buying Refx Avenger can probably do in part what all 6 of these devices can do. Maybe not as well as these devices individually focuses on...but it has the "ADVANTAGE" of not working for only one platform or DAW...so that extra $91 can take you much further then the $129 REASON 10 fantastic looking 6 devices can take you. But yea...SURE...people swear by those CV I/O.

Again this is just my opinion I know that other users prefer the REASON Ecosystem.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

AttenuationHz

23 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Sep 2017
etyrnal wrote:
23 Sep 2017

I would normally agree, but from marketing and sales perspective it sells better to offer more content. Guess they target new musicians and they don't know about such things. Existing musicians won't switch to Reason.
That's fine but what happens when those new users realise that what they bought does not have the very basic features that other software has. It will be a trial and pass if they have experience with other software guaranteed!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

moneykube

23 Sep 2017

removed... had a bad day
Last edited by moneykube on 24 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

moneykube

23 Sep 2017

sorry... the stuttering disturbed my work flow... was a bit miffed

moneykube

23 Sep 2017

and removed again... do not want to cause divisuion or arguments in this great community
Last edited by moneykube on 24 Sep 2017, edited 2 times in total.

stevan

23 Sep 2017

after the first "frustration" I was looking the R 10 promo video 3 times and now they got me ...
as always , I'm a helpless fanboy and sure, I'll buy the update ! :) :lol: :lol:

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2017

moneykube wrote:
23 Sep 2017
re's are coded for the prop environment... makes no sense that they have some issues now... I will now have some tea lol... yes I am paranoid
There is nothing Propellerhead can do if a device itself is simply more CPU intensive. Some RE developers may choose methods that simply require more CPU because of the costs and benefits of that approach.

There are a lot of misconceptions flying around about so many things.

About the stuttering, .. start a thread, share your specs, .. maybe someone might volunteer to remote desktop into your machine and make sure you have a healthy configuration.

My antivirus is configured to ignore certain programs and file formats. Without this my machine can get a little sluggish at times.

pjeudy

23 Sep 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
23 Sep 2017
it's not been designed to showcase any of the new synths or samplers, suggesting it's been produced with none of them.
I even went to there web page and even though they have it setup to play example sounds ...but there are no sounds to be heard....the sound they played over the Europa device was generic as hell. Sounds like something you can do in a Rob Papen synth or any other synth for that matter.

In short this is a very good example on how Marketing eye candy to a hungry bunch can make there emotion run so high..... For all we know Europa could just be a one trick pony !?! :D
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

AttenuationHz

23 Sep 2017

pjeudy wrote:
23 Sep 2017
JiggeryPokery wrote:
23 Sep 2017
it's not been designed to showcase any of the new synths or samplers, suggesting it's been produced with none of them.
I even went to there web page and even though they have it setup to play example sounds ...but there are no sounds to be heard....the sound they played over the Europa device was generic as hell. Sounds like something you can do in a Rob Papen synth or any other synth for that matter.

In short this is a very good example on how Marketing eye candy to a hungry bunch can make there emotion run so high..... For all we know Europa could just be a one trick pony !?! :D
Something to do with soundcloud play limit on the sounds. :roll:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Ixus

23 Sep 2017

I've never had performance problems in Reason, only way back when I had an old computer.
My current rig is almost 3 years old but it was very high end when I got it, and I can run Reason just fine. Yesterday I was looking through projects and when I had 3 files open at the same time I started getting a bit of stutter, that is not a problem as far as I am concerned.
I will probably be upgrading again when Black Friday hits so you can knock a few moneys off the components.

I use my computer for gaming too i should mention. A good gaming rig will have no problems with Reason.

remo101

23 Sep 2017

moneykube wrote:
23 Sep 2017
... I will now have some tea lol...
Tea really is a magic-potion, even just the thought of it seems to have made you much more friendly.

PeterP

23 Sep 2017

Now that they've tried a major release with only workflow improvements (version 8) and a major release with only content and seen the backlash for both, they might go back to do balanced releases again :)

Personally I'm both very excited to play around with some fresh new synths and a bit disappointed that there are no mixer or sequencer improvement.

I still think it's enough value to get the upgrade on release day.
Last edited by PeterP on 24 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

spikey

23 Sep 2017

I would normally agree, but from marketing and sales perspective it sells better to offer more content.
OTOH a bigger bucket of crap is just more crap ;)

My opinion is simple, FIX the things that need fixing and it will sell itself.

zumBeispiel

23 Sep 2017

I've already purchased Radical Piano and Synchronous.
May I have Layers instead?
:?:

flexluthor

23 Sep 2017

WHERE ARE MUH NEW INSTRUMENTS AND SAMPLES - Every other release

Props put out Reason 10

WHY ARE U WASTING TIME WITH NEW INSTRUMENTS AND SAMPLES

You guys are a pack of morons. Don't buy it if you dont need it. The upgrade announcement was pretty unexpected anyway. Dont like it, dont buy it. Luckily the upgrade price is the same from any version.

kitekrazy

23 Sep 2017

etyrnal wrote:
23 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:

That's what all developers do. Eventually the experience upgraders say no. 129$ is not an unreasonable upgrade price. I have 2 licenses of Live Suite, I'll probably not upgrade because their suite is way overpriced.
But if you also want upgraders you give them free stuff. Props falls short here. Last year they gave some REs to new licenses in a promo. Props is not the best at loyalty. See Izotope and Cakewalk.

Oquasec

23 Sep 2017

I was probably the only guy who upgraded to 8 and liked it.
But then again I was using 5 till 8 came out. then 9 got vst support.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

sleep1979

23 Sep 2017

What does essentials get new?

Mr. Watts

23 Sep 2017

I'm currently on Reason 8 and had been considering the upgrade to Reason 9.5 mostly for the vst, audio to midi, pitch correction, and different backdrop options. So, when 10 was announced, initially I was excited that I would also get some new devices. But after reading a ton of comments on how Reason is now unstable, I'm more hesitant to upgrade. Currently, Reason 8 works great for me as someone who does a lot of recording on my productions and I would hate to upgrade just to find that the platform is now unstable. Can anyone speak to this regarding audio recording and/or the use of rack extensions? If it's only a vst issue then thats fine but if Reason itself is unstable then thats an issue. Workflow is most important to me and Im not willing to sacrafice that for some shiny new toys, although I would love to have them. Any input regarding this is highly appreciated, thanks!

stratatonic

23 Sep 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I think it's time for a wholesome haiku.

Prop lovers abroad
Making music with delight
They always want more

Sitting on the shelf
Stagnant sales for Synchronous
" Throw it in with '10' ! "

synchronous.jpg
synchronous.jpg (110.02 KiB) Viewed 3032 times

• Information