What would you like to see fixed/implemented regarding Reason midi?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

23 Sep 2017

What would you like to see fixed/implemented regarding Reason midi?

I noticed a few posters in the "Reason 10 announced!" thread mention they would like to see some workflow improvements for Reason.
What would you like to see for midi?

Personally, I would like to see a brush/paint tool similar to Logic:

chimp_spanner

23 Sep 2017

Strictly MIDI? Not too much.

* Legato should extend last note in a part to the edge of the part boundary
* Audio feedback when nudging notes with arrows
* Multi channel support for multitimbral plugins
* MIDI out from VST
* A pre record buffer to catch the first note played

They’re the biggest ones for me with regards to MIDI. Some kind of per track swing & humanisation controls would be nice too (as well as Oct and semi transpose).

Oquasec

24 Sep 2017

Brush tool.
1/128 grid resolution so it matches the modules.
More selectable blocks
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Ad0

24 Sep 2017

Fix the midi clock not to be so insanely jittery on Windows.

stratatonic

25 Sep 2017

I think having Snap To Grid the default action, rather than snapping By said snap amount, would be an improvement.
99% of the time I want to go to the grid, not the relative amount.
Even just a snap to both grid and relative amount would be nice.

jayhosking

25 Sep 2017

Not quite answering the question, but I'd love to be able to trial a midi loop with an existing patch (e.g. drum midi, hearing it when clicking on the browser window). Finding midi drum patterns right now is a major chore. That said, I'd just like to see something like the A-list drummer with an ever-expanding bank of loops. I suppose that's one benefit to VST; maybe one of these days I'll pick up EZ Drummer 2.

EdGrip

25 Sep 2017

stratatonic wrote:
25 Sep 2017
I think having Snap To Grid the default action, rather than snapping By said snap amount, would be an improvement.
99% of the time I want to go to the grid, not the relative amount.
This, lots.

eusti

25 Sep 2017

Ability to see another midi track in the sequencer to be able to write accordingly...

D.

madmacman

26 Sep 2017

1. Having step input in midi clips: adds the notes played on keyboard to the clip at cursor position and advances the cursor by snap value (e.g. 1/8 or 1/4)

2. Ghost clips: midi clips which are related to a „master“ clip. When editing the master clip, the ghosts change accordingly.

pushedbutton

26 Sep 2017

The M-Audio Oxygen61 MkIV doesn't play well with Reason, but I think that's M-Audio's problem.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Vince-Noir-99

26 Sep 2017

Shift+arrow up or down to change octave.

joeyluck

26 Sep 2017

I'd really really like to see Multitimbral/MPE support. I've been opening GarageBand a little more than Reason recently just so I can use my Seaboard Block to it's fullest. It's changed the way I approach writing and making music and it's hard to go without it.

Even when not using the full '5D control' and just for pitch bend is awesome. Most every instrument plugin I own allows me to bend notes independently of one another with just one instance. And I can only do this in GarageBand currently. I've been using Roli's Equator plenty for the fully mapped 5D control, but I've also just been using the pitch bend function with stuff like Synplant and it opens up another world for inspiration and different approach when writing.

Also, an option to tie CC events to MIDI notes so that when moving notes, things like pitch bend will automatically move with it.

The Age Old

26 Sep 2017

My wishlist for sometime now:

-Multiple Block Lane Sequencer: Allows you to arrange blocks on multiple lanes as as if they were midi clips in the regular sequencer

-Accented notes and individual note effects (like slide notes in FL Studios, etc) (Individual note panning, automation, etc in Bitwig)

-An option to make newly drawn midi notes automatically match the length of previously drawn notes (similar to FL and Bitwig)

-Note chopper: chops midi notes into 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, dotted, triplet, and custom patterns etc (similar to FL)

-Piano roll folding like (Ableton)

-Ghost Notes: when drawing notes in a midi clip, notes from other midi clips appear transparent in the background on the grid. (FL, Bitwig)

Come on Propllerhead!!!! Make it happen! I have been with you since Reason 4. You are my Fav and first DAW. I want to stick with you only! Please listen to your fans!

Love,

Bonus: Custom Theme Editing/Coloring. It matters to me dammit!

PeterP

28 Sep 2017

Midi comp feature, just like with audio.

stratatonic

04 Oct 2017

eusti wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Ability to see another midi track in the sequencer to be able to write accordingly..
madmacman wrote:
26 Sep 2017
2. Ghost clips: midi clips which are related to a „master“ clip. When editing the master clip, the ghosts change accordingly.
The Age Old wrote:
26 Sep 2017
-Ghost Notes: when drawing notes in a midi clip, notes from other midi clips appear transparent in the background on the grid. (FL, Bitwig)

Seems to be a popular request...

stratatonic

04 Oct 2017

PeterP wrote:
28 Sep 2017
Midi comp feature, just like with audio.
More of a sequencer request I think, but, hell, yeah.!... :thumbs_up:

I think ljekio wrote a script to do alternate takes with midi. I used it a few times on an older version of Reason on Windows.

Creativemind

04 Oct 2017

I made a thread with 28 midi features on it. That just went up to 32 lol!

If version 10 had a big enhancement of midi editing and inline audio editing I'd definitely not be in 2 minds whether to update.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jlgrimes

07 Oct 2017

Midi improvements I would like(Pardon my Ableton Live references):

1. Make Auto Quantize settings a little easier to get to.
Props implemented this some in the later version of Reason taking it away from the hard to get tool menu, but they could also make it easier to adjust strength and what not.

2. Grid Resolution changes should be Key Bindable.
I like how in Ableton you can press Ctrl+1 to decrease grid resolution, Ctrl+2 to increase grid resolution, Ctrl+3 to get into Triplet resolutions, and Ctrl+4 to turn off grid resolution. This makes drawing complex patterns a bit easier. Also if this was implemented ala Ableton, you could use this to quickly get to really fine resolutions like 1/256 without having to display it on a menu.

3. Paintbrush Tool
For quickly drawing in rapid fire notes. The Ctrl+D command does help greatly however so now this is less of a need especially if Props implement feature #2 on the list.

4. Performance/Automation curves
Even a crude implementation "a la" Ableton Live would be nice.

5. Note Muting
Great way to quickly sketch out clip arrangements for drum tracks

6. Block triggering device
Imagine a Rack device you could play the Reason Blocks with your midi keyboard that snaps to a quantize rate like Dr. OctoRex. This could be automatable in Realtime to create Arrangements.

7. Drum/Machine Step sequencer that's a bit more flexible like Push. I like how in Push you aren't tied to one resolution for a pattern, you can mix&match to your hearts desire without creating a new pattern.

8. Razor Tool also function as note divide tool based off of Grid Resolution.

9. Update Remote templates. I think the protocol itself is great but it seems like the controller support for Reason is a bit old and not up to date for Reason's new devices all of the time.

10. Note Nudge improvements. Should be able to nudge upwards. If this was done in addition to feature request #2, this would be amazing. Also a quick key command to shift all selected notes up and octave.

If Props just implemented half of those features, their midi editing would be a lot more quicker and powerful IMO.

DonnieAlan

07 Oct 2017

I've mentioned this a few times in other threads, but I'd like to see enhanced MIDI routing capability. First, allow MIDI out from any RE or VST that has MIDI out, and allow it to be sent to wherever you wish. Add MIDI cable routing on the back of the rack just like you can do now with audio cables. Imagine having 2 MIDI outs on the back of, say, the Dual Arpeggiator, and being able to route the signal to whatever RE you choose. Add a MIDI splitter, and route to multiple RE's. (or VSTs). Would also like to route MIDI outs to external devices. Same scenario. Use the Dual Arp to play some external device, with the audio output from that routed back to an audio track in Reason. Possibilities with this kind of MIDI routing are endless.

Studio67

07 Oct 2017

More Midi clock out resources... (3 port)
If you want to sync and combine USB and Midi 5-pin hardware devices

stratatonic

08 Oct 2017

The Age Old wrote:
26 Sep 2017
Note chopper: chops midi notes into 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, dotted, triplet, and custom patterns etc (similar to FL)
jlgrimes wrote:
07 Oct 2017

Razor Tool also function as note divide tool based off of Grid Resolution.
Yes, I'd like to see this as well.

aeox
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
04 Oct 2017
eusti wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Ability to see another midi track in the sequencer to be able to write accordingly..
madmacman wrote:
26 Sep 2017
The Age Old wrote:
26 Sep 2017

You shouldn't need to see the other midi notes to be able to write accordingly . That's what ears for are. ;)

Creativemind

08 Oct 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
07 Oct 2017
8. Razor Tool also function as note divide tool based off of Grid Resolution.
This one can be done now since 9. Use the razor to cut by the snap amount think it is.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Dante

08 Oct 2017

Allow for System Exclusive (sysex) - capture, storage and transmission. Including patch data.

madmacman

09 Oct 2017

aeox wrote:
08 Oct 2017
stratatonic wrote:
04 Oct 2017

You shouldn't need to see the other midi notes to be able to write accordingly . That's what ears for are. ;)
My request is somewhat different. Maybe „Ghost Clip“ is not precise enough. The clips I mean are not full copies of an original (as it is now with copy&paste or Ctrl -D) but some kind of soft-copy of an existing original. Use case: if I have a melody line all over the place in the song (eg refrain) and want to alter it, Then I could simply edit the master clip and I‘m done rather than replacing all other clips afterwards. And when I do another edit, the tiresome game starts all over.

• Information