macOS: Fullscreen/Spaces/Dual Screen issue

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pummelfee

02 Oct 2017

Hi,

i am trying to do the following;

On a MacBook Pro with an additional Monitor i want to assign Reason to "Desktop 2". But i want to use Reason in fullscreen mode, with the sequencer/mixer window on my 24" monitor and the rack window on the MacBook Pro monitor, both in fullscreen.
When i try to do this, a very strange thing happens: if i switch the seq/mix window (that is on the 24" screen) to fullscreen, the rack window disappears and goes to the space "Desktop 1" and if i switch the other (rack) window (that is on the MB monitor) to fullscreen, the seq/mix window goes away to the Desktop 1 space.

Does anyone have an idea what i am missing here...?!

normen

02 Oct 2017

The thing is that the desktop "belongs" to one (physical) screen. The fullscreen apps on one screen only know "their" desktop. At least thats what I gather from your info and my idea about how the MacOS desktop works.

bitley

02 Oct 2017

No just drag the window to the screen you want it on. Resize. Save this as your default (t)rack. :-)

Vince-Noir-99

02 Oct 2017

Just to make sure I'll mention all the steps. Here's all working fine, with 2 full screens.
1) System preferences > Displays > Arrangement > make sure Displays are NOT mirrored.
2) Open Reason on the main display.
3) Detatch the window you wish to have on the other display and drag it there.
4) Click the green button to make the windows full screen on each display.
*) No need to create Deskops with Spaces
Does that work?

pummelfee

02 Oct 2017

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:
02 Oct 2017
Just to make sure I'll mention all the steps. Here's all working fine, with 2 full screens.
1) System preferences > Displays > Arrangement > make sure Displays are NOT mirrored.
2) Open Reason on the main display.
3) Detatch the window you wish to have on the other display and drag it there.
4) Click the green button to make the windows full screen on each display.
*) No need to create Deskops with Spaces
Does that work?
THIS does work. But i wanted the benefit of ultra-fast switching to my music making environment with this mission control thing...

bitley

02 Oct 2017

Each reason tracks saves the settings so you can simply have a track called dual monitor.rns and call that up.

BradfordMoeller

28 Oct 2017

bitley™ wrote:
02 Oct 2017
Each reason tracks saves the settings so you can simply have a track called dual monitor.rns and call that up.
There seems to be an across-the-board issue with iMac's which are updated to the latest OS, where dual-screen presets are not remembered by Reason. I've had this issue for months now, with no mentioned solution working for me, where before updating to the latest OS, (Sierra currently) I hadn't had this issue. Feels bad, please help someone.
:reason:)))

wendylou

28 Oct 2017

BradfordMoeller wrote:
28 Oct 2017
bitley™ wrote:
02 Oct 2017
There seems to be an across-the-board issue with iMac's which are updated to the latest OS, where dual-screen presets are not remembered by Reason. I've had this issue for months now, with no mentioned solution working for me, where before updating to the latest OS, (Sierra currently) I hadn't had this issue. Feels bad, please help someone.
Reason used to remember dual screens before Mac OS Sierra and High Sierra, but not any more. It appears to be a Mac OS issue, not any fault of Reason. The only solution I've found since upgrading to Sierra or High Sierra is to use a helper menu bar app like "Stay" https://cordlessdog.com/stay/ and clicking its "Restore Windows" from the menu. The way it works is, load up your Reason song that had panels across both screens when you saved it. When you reopen the song, the panels are now on main screen and on top of each other. So now you click Stay's "Restore Windows" and voila, the Mixer, Rack, and Sequencer all pop back in place across both monitors, exactly positioned like you saved it before. The specific location information is indeed saved in each song – Stay just helps place everything back across both screens.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

• Information