Poll: Since Reason introduced VST support, where did your plugin money go?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What percentage of you plugin money have you spent on Rack Extensions and VSTs?

I use Reason only. Money spent: 100% REs.
31%
I use Reason only. Money spent: 80% REs, 20% VSTs.
22%
I use Reason only. Money spent: 65% REs, 35% VSTs.
2%
I use Reason only. Money spent: 50% REs, 50% VSTs.
7%
I use Reason only. Money spent: 35% REs, 65% VSTs.
7%
I use Reason only. Money spent: 20% REs, 80% VSTs.
7%
I use Reason only. Money spent: 100% VSTs.
2%
I use Reason + other DAW. Money spent: 100% REs.
2%
I use Reason + other DAW. Money spent: 80% REs, 20% VSTs.
No votes
I use Reason + other DAW. Money spent: 65% REs, 35% VSTs.
No votes
I use Reason + other DAW. Money spent: 50% REs, 50% VSTs.
No votes
I use Reason + other DAW. Money spent: 35% REs, 65% VSTs.
4%
I use Reason + other DAW. Money spent: 20% REs, 80% VSTs.
9%
I use Reason + other DAW. Money spent: 100% VSTs.
7%

Total votes: 45
electrochoc (PRX-A)

05 Oct 2017

A little curiosity I have!

Since the release of Reason 9.5, which introduced the possibility to use VSTs into Reason, how would you evaluate the repartition of the money you have spent on plugins between Rack Extensions and VST plugins? The available answers are divided into two sub-categories: I thought it would be interesting to separate users who use Reason alone from those who use Reason and or with at least one other DAW.

It would also be interesting to know, mainly from those who use Reason and other DAW(s), if the introduction of VSTs into Reason changed your habits when purchasing plugins. Has it made you, for example, totally give up on Rack Extensions now that you can focus on plugins that you can use in all your DAWs? Or has it made you use Reason as your primary DAW, making you more confortable with buying Rack Extensions? Or something else? This question is not to be answered through the poll, so feel free to add your comment!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

syncanonymous

05 Oct 2017

Reason + other DAW
At the mo 65% vst/ 35% RE

Going fwd off top of my head
Vst wants:
Fab Filter Pro R and Pro MB
Izotope RX6 Advanced
Omnisphere

REs?
Not clear, probably more sound sets and refills than anything else
There is a lot to choose from
So many interesting synths.

I am probably leaning to go more VST going forward depending upon VST performance enhancement in Reason. I am still on 8, so I have to see how the next few months shake out. I am loathe to do it, but I might have to go Reaper for my film dialogue/ IV work. The trainees can afford it and Reaper has xml reconcile. I really dislike some of the Reaper limitations, though. Automation in SawStudio is so easy, fast and powerful. Envelope Curves?? Groan :-/
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

NekujaK

06 Oct 2017

By the time VST support came to Reason, I pretty much owned all the REs I wanted, so either way, I wasn't going to be spending much on REs.

On the other hand, the last time I touched a VST was about 7 years ago (well, except in my video work) when I ditched my other DAW and started using Reason exclusively, so I had a lot of catching up to do, especially since all my old VSTs were 32-bit. It's been tons of fun getting back into the VST world and I especially enjoy the freedom to once again choose from among the best audio plugins available. Reason's arbitrary limitation of prohibiting VSTs always seemed a bit draconian and punitive to me.

Going forward, I don't see myself spending much money on REs, primarily because of compatibility. If a VST and an RE offer similar functionality and audio fidelity, I'll buy the VST because it's a standard that's compatible with nearly every DAW and video NLE out there, while REs only work in Reason. Who knows, there may be a point in the future when I stop using Reason (like if the Props go to a subscription-only model) so I want my gear investments to be as future-proof as possible.

I've always loved Reason, and I love it even more now that it accepts VSTs, so I hope I never have to walk away from it, but if I do, I want to be able to take my plugins with me.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

lowtom

06 Oct 2017

Only REs recently. Just yesterday I felt in love with The Legend and bought it instantly :D
:reason: :refill: :re:

Oquasec

07 Oct 2017

Been usin reason plugins alot since the inclusion of rack extensions.
Reason has become my go to rack for reaper.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information