Reason 10 !!!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
adamf

25 Oct 2017

Just purchased mine....now I just have to get home to download it👍👍👍🎶🎶🎶🎸🎸🎸🕺🕺🕺🎶🎶🎶

motuscott

25 Oct 2017

It's 6:30 on October 25. Where's the beef? Where's the fireworks? Where's the whining?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Biolumin3sc3nt

25 Oct 2017

I dunno i just totally reformatted my HD for High Sierra, I'll batch about that lol - hours later and too much vodka - On to downloading the official demo

bsp

25 Oct 2017

Reason 10 Release Notes
  • Added Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer
  • Added Grain Sample Manipulator
  • Added Klang Tuned Percussion
  • Added Pangea World Instruments
  • Added Humana Vocal Collection
  • Added Drum Supply and Loop Supply ReFills
  • Synchronous is now an included device
  • Radical Piano is now an included device
  • Added the content manager for optional content, accessible at first launch or by going to Window > Manage Content
  • Updated Reason 10 Sounds and Factory Sound Bank with patches from Europa and Grain
  • Devices can now be added to favorite lists
  • Fixed graphic error in Plugin Management window
  • Fixed a crash when closing Reason after downloading an update
  • Fixed a crash that could happen when taking a screenshot of a VST plugin
  • Various bug fixes and improvements
so..it's true what they said..Reason 10 itself is practically the same as Reason 9, except for the new synths and some samples.

I'm rather disappointed that not at least some of the VST MIDI issues (e.g. the filtered CC and program change messages) have been addressed.

Currently playing with Europa. Sounds good and seems very CPU efficient (current patch with 8 voices and two modulated modifiers and spectral eq (via env 4) = "0" DSP bars).
For certain sounds, the input lag on the waveform modifiers is quite horrible, though.
eXpanse handles this much (!) better. Please add a switch that disables that controller lowpass filter!
Thumbs up for the latched modwheel input ! (not slew-filtered, fortunately)

synaptyx

25 Oct 2017

Kontakt can still be a total dog with large libraries. I want to put Propellerhead and Native Instruments dev teams in a room and not let them out ‘til they get their stuff working with each other’s software.
That said, Kontakt works well in other DAWs. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since Reason 1

Sorped

25 Oct 2017

Reason 10 is everything that comes from today 'till Reason 11 pops up. I really think and hope all of those that have slacked Props off for a version 10 with no content will have to pick up their jaws along the way before we get to Reason 11. Just wanted to preempt all the whining.
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

bsp

25 Oct 2017

Just finished my first patch-making session with Europa (https://allihoopa.com/s/TLbr2dnr .. just played around a little and stopped when I ran out of mod slots. all 3 oscs in use, 3x unison for osc1 + 5 modifiers in total, 8 voices + 4 effects = 1 DSP bar on a 4 year old i7, quite nice!)

It basically feels like a simplified version of eXpanse (w/o sample import, cross-osc modulation, dual filters, ..) but also has its own sound, which I like.

I guess many people will be happy about its low CPU usage (but I already mentioned that).

Some feature requests (which I find rather obvious, don't know about you):
- Osc copy'n'paste
- Ability to shorten an envelope by removing its last control point
- Configurable loop start position for looping envelopes
- Option to turn off the controller filter
- 3 band EQ in the effects section (why only one band ??!)

Thanks to this forum, I knew what I was getting into with this update.

I just hoped that PH would at least tweak some minor things like the VST CC/prgchg event issue (you can even set a VST to receive "breath control" events in a combinator but it simply does not work. other CCs would be very useful for e.g. soft/sostenuto pedals. program changes are a bit more exotic but some synths allow you to do crazy things with them)
or the missing "panic" button (double-click "stop" ?) that immediately cuts off all sounds (e.g. long decaying reverbs and delay) (it is so annoying having to wait for all sounds to fade out before you can hit record!!)
Sorped wrote:
25 Oct 2017
Reason 10 is everything that comes from today 'till Reason 11 pops up.
Indeed.
Hopefully the next point update will finally address these (most likely rather easy to fix/implement) issues (and maybe some of the more difficult ones, like resizable rack graphics..).

Well, on to Grain (the main course?) :-)

scratchnsnifff

25 Oct 2017

If I remember correctly having your own favorites for REs and vsts was a heavily requested workflow feature especially last yearish, because some of us have such a wide collection of REs and now especially with vsts it’s probable that our instrument, utilities, and effects are flooded with units. Being able to make a favorites list instead of browsing by developer is freaking awesome!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

bsp

25 Oct 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
25 Oct 2017
If I remember correctly having your own favorites for REs and vsts was a heavily requested workflow feature
In R9 I used the favourite patches folders for that but yeah, it's a minor improvement.
they've also added some separator lines to some of the instrument menus, if I'm not mistaken :-)

so, Grain..

first of all I compared its "Long grains" mode to Quadelectra's Arkana RE (both use 5 grains, Arkana lets you configure that number), using a (stereo) sample from my P12.
Arkana sounded better, IMHO, because "Grain" always had this "fade in" effect at the start of a note (plus Arkana has a lot more parameters to configure the grain-ulation).
On the other hand, I got some really nice atmospheric sounds out of Grain (with very short grain spacing) that I couldn't match in Arkana. These sounds couldn't be played chromatically anymore but they sure are great sampler-fodder! :)

Next the "grain oscillator" mode.
According to the manual it uses two grains so I configured Arkana accordingly.
"Grain" wins hands down here, IMHO.
You can achieve very similar sounds in Arkana but Grain manages to always keep the sound in tune while in Arkana you need to manually re-pitch it after you changed certain settings.
This mode works great with wavetables and/or slowly evolving monophonic sounds.
I am sure I am going to use this mode a lot!
Both Arkana and Grain support stereo samples, btw, which becomes very apparent when the grain position is modulated (nice!).

I think I have found a bug in Grain, btw: When you move the start position manually (e.g. in oscillator mode), the sound changes as soon as you click (but don't drag) the marker, and after moving it, you need to release and press a note again to hear the position change.
Would be nice if it'd be possible to "sweep" through the waveform, or at least update the position immediately when the marker is released again (or maybe also a few times per second while dragging it?)

But yeah, the grain oscillator mode is really brilliant and super useful (to me). I don't think I have any other synths that can replicate its sound and usability.

CPU usage is very good, too. 12 voices in "oscillator mode" with a 24db ladder filter and a long amp release time = 1 DSP bar (i7 4770).

Some minor feature suggestions (beside the position-marker thing):
- Unipolar position modulation would be useful. Currently the start position can only be modulated +-50% relative to the start marker. Can probably be worked around with some CV routing (and a start marker at 50%) but it would be handy if the synth could do it out of the box.
- Envelope editor and loop mode: same suggestions as for Europa (delete last ctlpoint, configurable loop start)

Last but not least:

I really have to thank PH for adding the latched modulation sources (modwheel, CV1..4). These things are absolutely great and very musical! Europa and Grain are the only synths in Reason (including all REs I've seen) that support this. All synths should!

(in case you don't know what that means: latched modulation allows you to modulate individual notes. the only drawback is that the modulation can only happen at note on, similar to velocity)

Here's a simple grain demo (using Selig Leveler and RPEQ to tame the resonant spikes a little bit).
This is just me noodling around a bit. I mapped an expression pedal to the "formant" and "smp level" parameters via "CV1 Latched" (and a combinator, and an instance of the free Aftermath Audio CV8x4 generator RE).

Very new-agey :roll:

Creativemind

25 Oct 2017

Not long ago been playing with the demo. 2 things that first struck me about Grain - 1) Not playing of grains in Reverse and 2) the Decay amount value on the reverb isn't in seconds/milliseconds.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ahuimanu

25 Oct 2017

download speed is bad for me... oh well.

• Information