Propellerhead Releases Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MirEko

25 Oct 2017

Don't get me wrong guys, I bought R10, I own Ableton, Harrison MixBuss, but Reason is my main program.
Just throwing out why long time users (like me) are getting a bit antsy with the lack of workflow improvements.
I added those release notes for context
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

AttenuationHz

25 Oct 2017

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Creativemind

25 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Oct 2017
stratatonic wrote:
25 Oct 2017
So, in terms of actual workflow enhancements in Reason 10:

- Devices can now be added to favorite lists
Not sure where you've been the past month, but I thought it was common knowledge that 10 is just a content update?
Not entirely no as people (who weren't testing the beta) were anticipating actual program features on the day of release that maybe weren't shown in the advert video for 10 a month ago.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Steedus
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2017

per-anders wrote:
25 Oct 2017
Bear in mind that those huge lists are 99% bugfixes and a few minor updates to existing features.

I'm sure if the props listed every single submit they made the "feature" list would be equally huge for 10.
Yep, I doubt the list is as long as Logic's but I bet there's a fair few tiny things collectively included with this:
  • Various bug fixes and improvements
btw I'm not taking sides .. even as a casual user I'm a little sad to see the lack of workflow or UI improvements. However I'm still interested in the update.

selig
RE Developer

25 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
25 Oct 2017

Not sure where you've been the past month, but I thought it was common knowledge that 10 is just a content update?
Not entirely no as people (who weren't testing the beta) were anticipating actual program features on the day of release that maybe weren't shown in the advert video for 10 a month ago.
Forgive me if my memory is failing me, but the Props don't add major features without promoting them with the main announcement, right? Sometimes there have been some minor features added that weren't mentioned in the initial release, but not major features IIRC. But I AM getting old, so I could be suffering from delusions…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

AttenuationHz

25 Oct 2017

Mix window lag on parameter change was fixed. That makes me happy. Shaves about 20 seconds of my time spent programming each parameter.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

MonsterRadioMan

25 Oct 2017

I don't know what the hell some of you are smoking, these synths are monsters. To suggest that these synths shouldn't be bundled with Reason, and instead should be locked behind a secondary more expensive paywall is just insane. It's an absolutely reasonable criticism to say that there should have been more than just content in this upgrade. I agree. There's a lot of criticism I have towards the Reason app itself in terms of it's sequencing and all around arranging/mixing. Reason's native content however, has been seriously neglected for years. Every new piece of content has been locked behind an extra paywall since Reason released Kong in what, 2010? Are you even aware that multi-seat licenses are not compatible with Rack Extensions (probably due to third party licensing issues)? This means, that for example, where I work, we don't get access to the majority of the good content released since Reason 6. We only get what's bundled in the box. Now we get Europa, Grain, Radical Piano, etc. This will be a huge update for educational institutions! Reason IS the rack. There is no separating it. You take the rack away and it loses it's identity. The instruments in Reason needed an update. Sorry, but that is a fact. The native effects do as well. The NN-XT library is practically the same as it has been for a decade (I realize this the new samples are drum samples). These libraries are so out of date! In my view, the content IS important because to me it's central to it's identity. I agree that it shouldn't have been just content, but it should have been workflow enhancements AND content, and not having all these new synths thrown behind another paywall, particularly when that paywall is inaccessible to academic institutions where it was beginning to lose it's relevance due to an outdated roster of instruments (I love them, but they came out a LONG time ago). I'm sorry, I understand some of the disappointment from a user perspective, but some of the conclusions I'm reading are just ridiculous. This new content is wonderful and long overdue.

Creativemind

25 Oct 2017

Just been playing around with Europa, Grain and Humana and gotta say (apart from a few grumbles with parameter readings (I forgot time is measured in percent lol!)) I have to say, they sound amazing. Humana had some right cool sounds in it.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

QVprod

25 Oct 2017

NekujaK wrote:
25 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
25 Oct 2017
As said before, this update isn't aimed at people who have a ton of VST or have all of the content they need. This update is aimed at people who still stay mostly in Reason and don't have the content, or new users who just bought Reason as their first DAW. It's not like Propellerhead don't do their market research - they clearly have paying customers who want the content.
That may or may not be true, but it doesn't make good business sense to me. 6 months ago, and for many years before that, VST integration in Reason was consistently one of the top feature requests from the Reason user community. When the Props finally gave us VSTs it signalled a desire for Reason to appeal to a wider audience than just diehard Reason users. To pull back now and create an update aimed at Reason users unwilling to try VSTs doesn't make much sense, and as we have seen by all the comments over the last few weeks, it has irritated a lot of Reason users who were hoping for much-needed workflow enhancements. As far as new users are concerned, I seriously doubt a couple of new synths are going to be enough to lure them to Reason. New users aren't afraid of VSTs, so they don't fully understand the whole REs vs VSTs argument. If anything, a streamlined workflow and creative flexibility is Reason's most compelling draw. But I guess that's not as sexy as offering a couple of new synths.

I'm glad there are a lot of people who are satisfied with the new update, and I hope R10 is a huge success for the Props. I'll probably upgrade for the new browser, and will look forward to future workflow enhancements, which I hope are just around the corner.
This is a common thought and I understand the reasoning, but... Studio One has always had VST support and in version 3 they included a massive stock instruments/sounds update including a new synth and a new sample player (rompler) with tons of great quality sampled sounds. Clearly the idea of bundled content being updated isn't so bizarre. Even Logic X came with content upgrades including Alchemy and Retro Synth in one of the point updates despite having quite a few stock synths already.

Resonator

25 Oct 2017

The content update was definitely long overdue and they really did a nice job with it. I agree that there's still a lot of workflow improvements that need to be made. But I'm not here to complain about it. I have a good feeling that Props wanted to get this content added in 10.0 so that they can focus on adding workflow improvements in 10.1 onward. It makes perfect sense to me as they already added VST support in 9.5 in order to focus on the additions that have been coming... and adding new content was definitely part of it. So for everyone that's upset or disappointed in 10.0, all I can say is you gotta wait a bit. Believe me, I've been in your situation before when 8.0 was released. I thought it was the worst release ever and I complained about it here as well. But I also knew when it was time to stop complaining and do something more constructive with my time. So I still had Reason 7, bought some new hardware, iOS apps, and focused on all of that while Propellerhead worked on 8.x and 9. Things were starting to look better by then. While I was tempted to buy 9.2 and 9.5, I never really had the time since I was busy working with hardware and teaching a friend of mine how to use the synths he bought over the summer. Then the announcement for Reason 10 came along, and I knew it was time to consider upgrading from 7.x. Now for $129, I'm gonna get a lot for my money. I may not have got everything I want yet. But 3 versions of updates is definitely something I can't ignore at this point. So for all of you that don't like Reason 10, skip it and come back for it when you feel it's worth it. But please stop derailing all the threads here with all the negativity. It's like going to a party and bumping into Debbie Downer or some ho from the Jerry Springer show.

MirEko

25 Oct 2017

FlowerSoldier wrote:
25 Oct 2017
Equalizer wrote:
25 Oct 2017
I expect a locked thread any minute now....this is getting too anti-Propellerhead and they don't like it when the other half speak their mind.

Oh and if they ban me, I'll be back.
That sounds like someone who enjoys playing the victim. It's very unbecoming. If you find this forum so unpleasant, why do you insist on coming back?
Most Illogical.
Most patronizing...

Reason users come to these forums for many reasons. RE news, update news, R10 news etc..
Even if the forum is a circle jerk for reason fanboys, doesn't mean the information residing here isn't useful to Reason users. This is the main source of information for all Reason users, disgruntled or otherwise.

I bet most users never post
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

QVprod

25 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
25 Oct 2017
I expect a locked thread any minute now....this is getting too anti-Propellerhead and they don't like it when the other half speak their mind.
Actually not really. I've bashed Radical Piano plenty of times here, voiced displeasure about Reason 8.... and ended up being a mod here :puf_wink: .

It's all about the way you do things.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

25 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Oct 2017

Looks like they have:

Does that mean that Rack Extensions and stock devices can be sorted using those lists? Is that possible for example to make a "filter" list and put all filter REs and devices into it? Is it possible to put one device into two or more lists?
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

Resonator

25 Oct 2017

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
25 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
25 Oct 2017

Looks like they have:

Does that mean that Rack Extensions and stock devices can be sorted using those lists? Is that possible for example to make a "filter" list and put all filter REs and devices into it? Is it possible to put one device into two or more lists?
I just messed around with it and you can drag and drop any device from the browser into those lists. You can drag and drop into two or more lists, an even drag and drop from one list to another.

Emian

26 Oct 2017

i can not do the 30day trial... could that be bacause i bèta tested it ?

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Zac

26 Oct 2017

I think this update isn't for us. It's for first time buyers. Fair enough in my opinion. For 349 you get a lot!! of product. I'll pay my 129 when I can. Not as much of a bargain but still pretty good imo.

JerrelTheKing

26 Oct 2017

I had 7 for the longest. I thought 8 was a terrible upgrade on its own but it was a workflow update and added no real musical value to me. Then came convolution reverb in 8.x tempted a little but still not enough. Then came 9 which was another heavy workflow related upgrade but I honestly had no problems with 7 so still didnt upgrade. Finally came 9.5 with VST support. They finally got me. But not just the VST support but the combination of all I passed up on. If you're not happy with this update just wait until enough of what you want is worth your $129. I just paid $129 a few months ago so its not worth it for me right now but hopefully there's a point update feature to make me bite soon.

Bumbum

26 Oct 2017

Resonator wrote:
25 Oct 2017
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
25 Oct 2017

I just messed around with it and you can drag and drop any device from the browser into those lists. You can drag and drop into two or more lists, an even drag and drop from one list to another.
this is really great update!

Reasonable man

26 Oct 2017

Getting it in a few weeks. From the demos the synths sound better than what we have and extremly usefull. But we don's have to use em (if we don't want to) with the VST thing anyway so thats not a major issue anymore. And because there are genius reason fanatics out there like Hydlide for eg it wont be long until we know how to fine tune them combinators with rack effects to get them sounding a bit more like the established or polished hungry cpu hogging VST animals anyway. I feel thats less of an option with the previous synths which ......have their sonic limitations.
Jerrel is right about upgrading only when it suits. Being still stuck on Reason 8 i need to upgrade now or i will get left behind with all the new gismos i dont have!

Ad0

26 Oct 2017

Why are so many people saying that they are waiting for 10.5? Don't 10 users now get 10.5 anyway? What's the point of waiting if you want 10.5 anyway?

Loque

26 Oct 2017

Ad0 wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Why are so many people saying that they are waiting for 10.5? Don't 10 users now get 10.5 anyway? What's the point of waiting if you want 10.5 anyway?
Guess they wait to see, if it is worth THAN to jump on the upgrade.
Reason12, Win10

stephensmattlee

26 Oct 2017

Knowing how the Props have operated on past releases and added a lot more major features in later “point” updates, I’m sure by the time Reason 10.5 comes along it will be well worth the price.

For me personally I’m happy enough with 9.5, that is unless I see the upgrade for £50 again on Amazon like last year :p .. in which case it will be a no brainer

Galaxy

26 Oct 2017

So many of you assume there will be a 10.5 update. Not all versions of Reason got a .5 update. Reason 2.5, 6.5, 9.5, that's it. There could be a 10.5 update, but not guarantied. Just sayin'. There will most likely be some sort of point update, whether it's significant enough is up to Propellerhead and how well we respond to it.

RE: workflow improvements.

Never understood the complaining about a "shitty sequencer". I prefer it to other DAWs. It doesn't go without flaws thought.

The zooming resolution could be increased so we could zoom in tighter and zoom out further.

Quick key commands to change snap to grid values.

Labeling automation lanes so combi/mixerchannel rotaries and buttons could adapt to they labeled names on the device itself.

Reason 10 seems like a great update if you're looking for more sounds and synths. Even if you find Expanse and Proton heavy of the DSP and if their workflows are clunky, Europa and Grain are slick alternatives. I can see patch designing or preset tweaking being a lot more fun on the Propellerhead synths. They look better too. Expanse can import wavetables, and has a dual filter with different algorithms, so there's still merit to owning both. Propellerhead has a major edge on the RE alternatatives stickly based on looks IMHO.

Galaxy

26 Oct 2017

Wow I get a warning for editing my previous post too many times for spelling errors ?!?!?!?!?!?

Atsp

26 Oct 2017

Hi everyone. it may be a stupid question but is reason 10 uprgrade free? thx
:reason: :record: :refill: :rt: :ignition: :refill: :recycle: :rebirth:

• Information