Problems with Balance

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
phoenix690

08 May 2018

After years of using Reason/Balance I upgraded to Windows 8.1 now for some reason I can't get Reason 9.5 to recognize my Propellerhead Balance.
I have an up-to-date driver. I have authorized my computer and the Balance with my license for Reason (I even went back and de- and re-authorized just to make sure.)
The Balance does not power up when I connect it to my computer and is not recognized as a hard drive, in my device manager.
When I start up reason, I go to preferences and audio to change my primary audio driver to the Balance, but it does not appear in the list.
This has never been a problem in the past, I don’t have the desire nor have the resources to purchase and learn a new DAW or interface, not to mention the years of work that I have created with reasons.

Someone/anybody please help!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 May 2018

You tried a different cable from Balance to your PC?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kuhliloach

08 May 2018

USB power problems are common. Are there Windows Updates available that might have chipset drivers, or do you need to install chipset drivers for your motherboard? Also, perhaps try a powered USB hub, or another USB jack.

napynap

12 May 2018

If the driver is up to date, and Windows doesn't show the Balance, then the USB port doesn't see the Balance. Try a different USB port. Also, try disabling onboard sound chip in BiOS.
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

swamptooth

12 May 2018

Unplug the balance, uninstall the driver, shutdown computer, reinstall driver, plug balance back in.

moneykube

12 May 2018

I find with balance... often a cane can help... depending on age of course... pray you don't need a walker... perhaps it is only vertigo... oh wait... have you been drinking?

another smart ass public service announcement... nothing to see here... carry on :puf_wink:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Adabler
Competition Winner

13 May 2018

I don't have any tips for the OP but my Balance is causing a lot of problems and I've decided to replace it. Would Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen2 be a good replacement?
:reason: 12, Win10

jlgrimes

14 May 2018

Adabler wrote:
13 May 2018
I don't have any tips for the OP but my Balance is causing a lot of problems and I've decided to replace it. Would Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen2 be a good replacement?
I have a slightly higher end Scarlett 6i6 gen 2 and it seems pretty good. Haven't tried vocal recording yet though. Or tested the headphones. I'm using it for live keyboards.

It does have decent lowest latency and the drivers seem stable.

Adabler
Competition Winner

14 May 2018

jlgrimes wrote:
14 May 2018
I have a slightly higher end Scarlett 6i6 gen 2 and it seems pretty good. Haven't tried vocal recording yet though. Or tested the headphones. I'm using it for live keyboards.

It does have decent lowest latency and the drivers seem stable.
Ah, thanks! I ended up getting a 2i4 gen 2 which seems to fit my needs well. I will miss the form factor of the Balance and all the inputs, but not the BSODs and other strange behavior.

Also, this has a MIDI interface built in, which is great since I bought a MIDI interface 3 days ago. Awesome timing, Balance!
:reason: 12, Win10

• Information