Reason 10.1 won't allow export of large song files? (+7 hours) [SOLVED]

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

10 May 2018

I have a bit of a conundrum. I have a 7+ hour song file I need to export as a wav, but Reason 10 gives me this when I try to export:

Anyone else ever try to export a large song file? I have 500 GB of room available on this drive and the scratch disc, so an ~8 GB wav file should be fine! :o :shock: :oops: :puf_unhappy: :puf_unhappy: :puf_unhappy:
Last edited by EnochLight on 11 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

sublunar

10 May 2018

Don't create/export a 7 hour song. Problem solved.

Also, I would be curious how large a 7 hour wav file would be and if you even have enough hard drive space. How much storage you working with?

aeox
Competition Winner

10 May 2018

You making some of those 432hz sleep meditation things?

stratatonic

10 May 2018

aeox wrote:
10 May 2018
You making some of those 432hz sleep meditation things?
:puf_bigsmile:

7+ hrs wtf? :puf_bigsmile:
Break it up into a few chunks. stitch it up in another DAW and export there.

normen

10 May 2018

I had this issue but with varying times so I don't think its a file (AIFF/WAV) limit issue (they can really be only 4GB). I think it's down to (scratch?) disk space. For some reason Reason seems to need twice the disk space for the export process - which can be a problem with long recordings. But this is a totally unscientific hunch.

Otherwise yeah, I circumvented the issue with loop markers. The exports are sample accurate so you can basically choose any spot to split the export up, just make sure the in/out markers are at the same spot.

EnochLight

10 May 2018

Scratch disc, temp file, and cache is not the issue. I’ve got over 500 GB free on this SSD I’m working from. A 74 minute CD is only 650-700 MB full of 44.1 KHz 16 bit wav,s so a 7 hour file shouldn’t be an issue.

Just some insight - I used Reason to record a 7+ hour mix of songs for a museum exhibition. I need to export the mixdown as 1 wav to slap on the museum’s old iPod Photo (for you youngsters out there, that would be an “old fashioned” iPod with a click/touch wheel and a hard drive).

I used Reason 10.1 to record the mix because it was convenient. I should have used Audition, but it’s audio loopback is coming out in mono and misbehaving. ARRRGH..

Are Reason audio exports seriously limited to 4 GB file size??!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

10 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
10 May 2018
No, WAV an AIFF files have that limit due to 32bit addressing in the header. Reason's own file format hasn't, neither has CAF or MP3 for that matter.

eusti

10 May 2018

normen wrote:
10 May 2018
EnochLight wrote:
10 May 2018
No, WAV an AIFF files have that limit due to 32bit addressing in the header. Reason's own file format hasn't, neither has CAF or MP3 for that matter.
Not sure I understand. Can we export from Reason into something else than wav or aif?

D.

normen

10 May 2018

eusti wrote:
10 May 2018
Not sure I understand. Can we export from Reason into something else than wav or aif?

D.
Hah, yeah thats true. I guess the usual "whose fault is it?" spirit of the ReasonTalk forum overcame me - I was just thinking about where the actual reason for this issue lies ;) But yeah, unless you consider copy-pasting into another Reason project an "export" theres no other option really I guess.

Edit: I don't know if this is true for Reason but I think the formats have both been "hacked" to support larger files - if the app supports it. So I don't know if we're beating dead horses anyway here. I mean it's a string of assumptions by now as far as I can see? Enoch can't export -> WAV / AIFF have that 4GB limit -> Reason can only export WAV and AIFF -> Reason can only export 4GB files.

eusti

10 May 2018

normen wrote:
10 May 2018
eusti wrote:
10 May 2018

D.
Hah, yeah thats true. I guess the usual "whose fault is it?" spirit of the ReasonTalk forum overcame me - I was just thinking about where the actual reason for this issue lies ;) But yeah, unless you consider copy-pasting into another Reason project an "export" theres no other option really I guess.

Edit: I don't know if this is true for Reason but I think the formats have both been "hacked" to support larger files - if the app supports it. So I don't know if we're beating dead horses anyway here. I mean it's a string of assumptions by now as far as I can see? Enoch can't export -> WAV / AIFF have that 4GB limit -> Reason can only export WAV and AIFF -> Reason can only export 4GB files.
Thanks for explaining, Normen!

D.

EnochLight

11 May 2018

So I ended up recording this mix all over again in Adobe Audition instead. The (almost) 7 hour mix ended up being a 4.1 GB wav file, and Audition stated that it would be the only software that could open it. But - at least I could save it! :puf_bigsmile: :lol:

So I converted it to an MP3 after that, and the now 565 MB file can be played in any software (that plays MP3's). Yay.

It's a shame Reason can't save files this large. It should, IMHO. It should just do it and give the user a warning that it would be the only software that can open it or something. Audition nailed it. *shrugs*

Anyway, thanks guys!

moneykube

11 May 2018

4 gig limit is sad.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Aosta

11 May 2018

moneykube wrote:
11 May 2018
4 gig limit is sad.
It is in this day and age when you can even buy 512GB micro SD cards. Memory is not an issue anymore and as far as I'm aware there is no limit to file sizes in NTFS drives. Maybe it's just a legacy limit thing for users still on FAT32 drives or might be another reason but I've come across this problem before too when I wanted to export a very long wav file.
Tend the flame

Noplan
Competition Winner

11 May 2018

7 hours. Why?

normen

11 May 2018

Lol, guys calm down, it's just 7 hours :lol:

sdst
Competition Winner

11 May 2018

seven hour limit, and cats can't hear parsec

in the list to fix

normen

11 May 2018

Aosta wrote:
11 May 2018
It is in this day and age when you can even buy 512GB micro SD cards. Memory is not an issue anymore and as far as I'm aware there is no limit to file sizes in NTFS drives. Maybe it's just a legacy limit thing for users still on FAT32 drives or might be another reason but I've come across this problem before too when I wanted to export a very long wav file.
As I said it's a file format issue, not a file system issue. Both WAV an AIFF use a 32 bit value in their header to map samples in the file. "Extended" versions of the file format use previously reserved bits in the header to map more samples. So you sometimes get the situation where you have a 10GB AIFF and the app only recognizes the first 4GB of data in it.

chimp_spanner

11 May 2018

Interesting to know there's a limit, but I don't think it's one I (or virtually anyone else) is gonna hit any time soon. Glad you kinda got it sorted anyway!

EnochLight

11 May 2018

Yeah I'm good to go (thanks to Audition 3.0). Admittedly, in the 17-18 years that I've been using Reason, this is the very first time I ever tried something like this.

motuscott

11 May 2018

sdst wrote:
11 May 2018
cats can't hear parsec
My digital talk/listen device is saying bad things about me to my cat at a frequency I can't hear
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

madmacman

11 May 2018

@EnochLight: That would be a proper feature request. In fact there ARE file formats that can handle it. See Wikipedia (section „Limitations“) for more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV?wprov=sfti1

Props would need to implement a dedicated new file format such as W64 or RF64.

EDIT: And while we are at it: I‘d love to see the support of BWF (broadcast WAV) along with RF64. BWF contains lots of metadata for easy audio exchange, most notably timestamps: When importing BWAV, then the clip is immediately placed at the correct position in the timeline.

EnochLight

11 May 2018

madmacman wrote:
11 May 2018
@EnochLight: That would be a proper feature request. In fact there ARE file formats that can handle it. See Wikipedia (section „Limitations“) for more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV?wprov=sfti1

Props would need to implement a dedicated new file format such as W64 or RF64.

EDIT: And while we are at it: I‘d love to see the support of BWF (broadcast WAV) along with RF64. BWF contains lots of metadata for easy audio exchange, most notably timestamps: When importing BWAV, then the clip is immediately placed at the correct position in the timeline.
I hear ya' (and I'm certain Audition uses W64 for larger files). But to be honest, on the scale of "important things that need to happen to Reason fast", at least for me this ranks at the bottom. As I said earlier, this is the first time in 17-18 years I've even tried to do this in Reason. :)

Cheers

madmacman

11 May 2018

EnochLight wrote:
11 May 2018
But to be honest, on the scale of "important things that need to happen to Reason fast", at least for me this ranks at the bottom.
Indeed, it's not my top priority, either. :) I just remember that the underrated "Tracktion" had this nearly from the beginning (ver 1.x) and it came in quite handy.

swamptooth

11 May 2018

if it's an option and you don't have another daw available, you could download cakewalk by bandlab for free, rewire reason into it and record reason onto a new audio track then export as w64. kludgy yes, but you could just let it record while you're asleep. :)

jimmyklane

11 May 2018

normen wrote:
10 May 2018
eusti wrote:
10 May 2018

D.

There is a file format in Nuendo/Cubase called Wave64 that allows terabyte-sizes files.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

• Information