What are Propellerheads baking atm? Guesses?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

03 Jun 2018

I have a feeling that they are working on something related to workflow and all kinds of logic-related overhauls.
I believe they launch a beta in the later summer or early autumn. A question to myself is: will I ever get away from hoping for more, more and more?

RobC

03 Jun 2018

It's the weekend, so probably pizza, and having beer. ...and... dessert! xD

Who knows, they never talk about the future. But maybe the higher definition Rack, zooming?
Hey, we all love Reason, so of course we want to see our baby grow and advance.

normen

03 Jun 2018

The GUI subsystem/library - lots of work with few to show afterwards but it's necessary.

Loque

03 Jun 2018

Atm? I guess pizza too. In future? I give up, just hope for less content and more DAW.
Reason12, Win10

tiker01

03 Jun 2018

Mattias was pretty clearly said they are working on VST and hopefully global performance improvements. I wish they would implement a freeze to audio feature. That is a powerful performance improvement feature.

Moreover, the last blog post by Ernst mentioned free updates for 10 so perhaps another update will come with yet unknown features.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

EdGrip

03 Jun 2018

I just read that as "hopefully these VST optimisations we're working on will be ready before R11 and therefore will be a free R10 update".

chaosroyale

03 Jun 2018

I guess they are working on [some unfounded speculation] along with [features everyone has been requesting for the last 10 years without success] and maybe [some very specific feature only I need], not to mention [obvious improvements that all other DAWS already have].

normen

03 Jun 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
03 Jun 2018
[some unfounded speculation]
...also called a "guess" :puf_bigsmile:

djadalaide

03 Jun 2018

Popcorn.

motuscott

03 Jun 2018

Really really delicious pie
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Ixus

03 Jun 2018

I will repeat updated sequencer and audio editing in the hope that it shall become truth

esselfortium

03 Jun 2018

Probably the things they said they’re working on.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

jimmyklane

03 Jun 2018

I’m still bitter about Europa....so my knee-jerk reaction is to say they’re working on porting Grain out to a VST and completely invalidating every update to Reason 10 by making VSTs out of its unique tools. Previously, if you didn’t have Reason then you were using different tools that lead to a different kind of sound.

On the other hand, what I sincerely hope is that they are working on stuff that’s important to me like polyphonic aftertouch, proper audio editing, mastering tools that aren’t VSTs (MClass is what, 10 years old???), enhancements to the performance of VST effects and instruments, and maybe new instruments.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Exowildebeest

03 Jun 2018

While everyone is distracted by the device/rack side of things, which has gotten so much attention over the past few years, they're quietly working on the sequencer side of things, which will be a major focus of R11.

Also, somewhere in the basement, some poor guy is working on making Reason friendly towards high DPI screens.

BRIGGS

03 Jun 2018

Exowildebeest wrote:
03 Jun 2018
While everyone is distracted by the device/rack side of things, which has gotten so much attention over the past few years, they're quietly working on the sequencer side of things, which will be a major focus of R11.

Also, somewhere in the basement, some poor guy is working on making Reason friendly towards high DPI screens.
One can only hope. I struggle at keeping songs organised. Things get overwhelming very quickly.
r11s

jimmyklane

03 Jun 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Jun 2018

One can only hope. I struggle at keeping songs organised. Things get overwhelming very quickly.
What gets overwhelming? (Not trolling serious question).... I tend to keep all my send effects to the left, devices in the middle, and audio tracks on the right....so three “racks” wide. If you create them this way, the cabling won’t be a mess of spaghetti....My template has the send effects built in, 24 audio tracks pre-made, and a placeholder device in the center rack so that I can use it for devices.

I’ve never gone for a 4K monitor....I run three 1080p monitors, one each for the sequencer, rack, and mixer. Is it really that bad on a 4K? For me the size is perfect at 1080p....

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

BRIGGS

03 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
03 Jun 2018

What gets overwhelming? (Not trolling serious question).... I tend to keep all my send effects to the left, devices in the middle, and audio tracks on the right....so three “racks” wide. If you create them this way, the cabling won’t be a mess of spaghetti....My template has the send effects built in, 24 audio tracks pre-made, and a placeholder device in the center rack so that I can use it for devices.

I’ve never gone for a 4K monitor....I run three 1080p monitors, one each for the sequencer, rack, and mixer. Is it really that bad on a 4K? For me the size is perfect at 1080p....
Mainly the sequencer. I'm ok with the rack, but you have good tips! Thanks!

The sequencer is difficult on one 1600x900 small screen. More than 4 automation lanes won't fold all the way. Screen space management, is always a challenge.
r11s

jimmyklane

03 Jun 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018

The sequencer is difficult on one 1600x900 small screen. More than 4 automation lanes won't fold all the way. Screen space management, is always a challenge.
Ok, yeah I’m with you there. I’ve got a few specific hardware synths (BSII and Moog SlimPhatty) that send out MULTIPLE CC messages for each and every control. If I automate, say, the filter frequency, filter envelope amount, lfo rate, and some program changes, I have something like 10-12 lanes in that single EMI track. Implementing something as simple as “folder” tracks would be huge, as we could fold it all up and nested away until we needed it. The sequencer is (to me) actually the weakest point of reason. It’s great at showing and editing automation (despite the linear-only setting) but it is still a little clunky.

That said, I have no real ideas about improving it. I’ve got features I want, but don’t have a solution for some of the “problems” inherent in the way Reason works right now.

EnochLight

03 Jun 2018

There's absolutely no reason to speculate. Valid, factual information on what they are working on were posted in Ernst's and Mattias' recent blog posts: ;)

https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/euro ... in-is-here

https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/reason-101-is-here
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

BRIGGS

03 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
03 Jun 2018

Ok, yeah I’m with you there. I’ve got a few specific hardware synths (BSII and Moog SlimPhatty) that send out MULTIPLE CC messages for each and every control. If I automate, say, the filter frequency, filter envelope amount, lfo rate, and some program changes, I have something like 10-12 lanes in that single EMI track. Implementing something as simple as “folder” tracks would be huge, as we could fold it all up and nested away until we needed it. The sequencer is (to me) actually the weakest point of reason. It’s great at showing and editing automation (despite the linear-only setting) but it is still a little clunky.

That said, I have no real ideas about improving it. I’ve got features I want, but don’t have a solution for some of the “problems” inherent in the way Reason works right now.
Yes sir!

In my case, I hit record, move 12+ knobs and switches and then end up with one huge mess! Lolz! It would be nice to have a 'back of the sequencer' like the 'back of the rack'.

Effectively, hiding automation like the cables in back.
r11s

jimmyklane

03 Jun 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018

Yes sir!

In my case, I hit record, move 12+ knobs and switches and then end up with one huge mess! Lolz! It would be nice to have a 'back of the sequencer' like the 'back of the rack'.

That’s actually a really good idea! It could be pasted on to the instrument or something. The only problem I foresee with that is it becoming more difficult to mange the RACK. Like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Most other DAWs manage this in one of two ways. 1: automation is hidden when the track is collapsed, or 2: an implementation of “Folder Tracks” that can contain an arbitrary number of audio/instrument tracks and then be collapsed. Nuendo/Cubase has this down really well.

BRIGGS

03 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
03 Jun 2018

Yes sir!

That’s actually a really good idea! It could be pasted on to the instrument or something. The only problem I foresee with that is it becoming more difficult to mange the RACK. Like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Most other DAWs manage this in one of two ways. 1: automation is hidden when the track is collapsed, or 2: an implementation of “Folder Tracks” that can contain an arbitrary number of audio/instrument tracks and then be collapsed. Nuendo/Cubase has this down really well.
I agree, anything to help tidy things up would help.

If I could use 'zip ties', I would! lolz!

Keeping things organized makes things flow better.

I plan to bake everything to audio to fix this.
r11s

selig
RE Developer

03 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018

I’m now feeling that the only way to address the “problems” in Reason’s workflow is a re-design (talking the sequencer/mixer here, with some changes in the Rack). There are simply too many corners that they have painted themselves into that can’t easily be repaired in any logical way IMO.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

BRIGGS

03 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
03 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018

I’m now feeling that the only way to address the “problems” in Reason’s workflow is a re-design (talking the sequencer/mixer here, with some changes in the Rack). There are simply too many corners that they have painted themselves into that can’t easily be repaired in any logical way IMO.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Yes, sometimes you have to do a rewrite, or 'go back to the drawing board'.

That said, I'd be happy to help out with any redesign ideas.
r11s

jimmyklane

03 Jun 2018

No way PH goes back to the drawing board. The only reason we got the SSL and audio tracks was due to the merging of Record into Reason. They created a completely new product in Record....and ported it.

Of course, I could be totally wrong but I don’t see a redesign happening because it could break a lot of things that already exist.

• Information