Recreational Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2018

Ben thinking about it recently and I suddenly noticed that my Reason use is pretty much the same as when I pick up my guitars in passing and play for a bit. What I mean is that I can sit easily for a couple of hours building up a song, creating beats and sounds, doing vocals and then when I get fed up I just switch off and don’t save. I love music and can get a tune out of most instruments. I love using Reason. I’ve done the occasional music for films and radio and played my share of gigs in my time. In any case it was interesting for me to note just how recreational Reason is for me. Hope I’ve not bored anyone. Just thought I’d write it down here :).
Last edited by MrFigg on 06 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

scratchnsnifff

06 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Ben thinking about it recently and I suddenly noticed that my Reason use is pretty much the same as when I pick up my guitars in passing and play for a bit. What I mean is that I can sit easily for a couple of hours building up a song, creating beats and sounds, doing vocals and then when I get fed up I just switch off and don’t save. I love music and can get a tune out of most instruments. I love using Reason. I’ve done the occasional music for films and radio and played my share of gigs in my time. In any case it was interesting for me to note just how recreational Reason is for me. Hope I’ve not bored anyone. Just thought I’d write it down here :).
As long as it’s fun for you, then it’s all good :)

I see it as a beast/challenge that I must tackle

I love learning new concepts, for instance I found out that the keep pitch button in the echo, is for making beat repeating effects. If keep pitch is off and you change the delay time, you’ll get a weird scratching sound (like Vinyl or something)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

selig
RE Developer

06 Sep 2018

I do the same thing, with Reason and with piano, drums, and guitar, sometimes playing for hours getting totally lost in the music. I realized there is great pleasure in the "moment", and I don't need to share it with others for that moment to be valid to my and my personal happiness. I also know I play differently when I know I'm being listened to (as opposed to when I'm totally alone), either by live people or recording devices - sometimes I just need to "vent", musically speaking, and it needs to be just for myself.

I'm sure I've missed out on some amazing stuff, and even more crap, by not recording or saving it. But it made me happy at the time, and I can live with that!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

06 Sep 2018

Good to see i am not the only one ;)
Reason12, Win10

NekujaK

06 Sep 2018

Over time, I seem to have gone the other way. Many years ago, when I was first getting acquainted with the guitar and playing in a band, a guitar was always in my hands whenever I had idle time. I could sit for hours noodling around and experimenting. The same with Reason. At first, it was basically a big fun house of musical exploration, regardless of outcome. But nowadays, I guess the honeymoon phase is over, because I usually approach the guitar or Reason with a specific goal or purpose - either to learn a new technique, write a song, record, or mix. I seldom noodle aimlessly any more... and maybe that's a little bit sad :( but it is what it is.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

EnochLight

06 Sep 2018

NekujaK wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Over time, I seem to have gone the other way. Many years ago, when I was first getting acquainted with the guitar and playing in a band, a guitar was always in my hands whenever I had idle time. I could sit for hours noodling around and experimenting. The same with Reason. At first, it was basically a big fun house of musical exploration, regardless of outcome. But nowadays, I guess the honeymoon phase is over, because I usually approach the guitar or Reason with a specific goal or purpose - either to learn a new technique, write a song, record, or mix. I seldom noodle aimlessly any more... and maybe that's a little bit sad :( but it is what it is.
Same. And I'm really trying to get back into noodling. Lately, it's all about lifestyle, though. I've just got too much stuff going on to sit down and noodle. By the time I sit down at my studio and begin the process, I'm 5 minutes away from falling asleep. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Sorped

06 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
06 Sep 2018
What I mean is that I can sit easily for a couple of hours building up a song, creating beats and sounds, doing vocals and then when I get fed up I just switch off and don’t save. I love music and can get a tune out of most instruments. I love using Reason.
That's pretty much how I use Reason, only difference is I save everything and then go back to it at some point. Some, if not most of it is useless for whatever current mood I'm looking to work in but there's usually something that will strike a chord.

Music is difinitely theraputical and the beauty of it is that there's so much of it, in all different shapes and sizes, so there's something for everyone to enhance or express their feelings. I know I wish Reason would have been available to me when I was a teenager. :)
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

splangie

06 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
06 Sep 2018
I like recording and saving almost everything, especially practice and jam sessions, and just all the Reason stuff unless I am totally frustrated with it.

Resonator

06 Sep 2018

I’m still waiting for Recreational Reason to be legalized in NY so I can hit it anywhere without the po po checking out my warrants. ;)

Mich01

07 Sep 2018

Yep, same here.
I like playing (literally) with Reason just for the fun of playing. :puf_bigsmile:
Sometimes the playing is 'music oriented', somtimes leading to a kind of result, stored in my map 'bits 'n pieces'.
And lot of time I like to 'fiddle around' with the more technical part of the program, like CV and synth-programming. Often inspired by tips from this forum :thumbs_up:

Mich

motuscott

07 Sep 2018

Resonator wrote:
06 Sep 2018
I’m still waiting for Recreational Reason to be legalized in NY so I can hit it anywhere without the po po checking out my warrants. ;)
The post is coming from inside your house, GET OUT NOW!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MoGreazy

10 Sep 2018

I find it makes an excellent replacement for video games. I find it at least as fun, but its also educational. Sometimes... those noodles and experiments are worth saving... but I always get something out of it even if I don't.

I've even started inventing games when using it. Recently I have been playing with making "sound illusions" It feels just like solving a puzzle, but in the process I learn a whole lot of things about stuff works.

Mo

• Information