Listening to drum track while recording guitar

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mab717

24 Dec 2018

I've googled this and Reason helped this a thousand times and I can't seem to find the right answer... So I want to listen to my drum track while I record guitar, but the drum track just gets recorded into the audio/guitar track... How do I only listen to the drums without having them recorded in the audio track?... Thanks:-)

motuscott

25 Dec 2018

You're really going to have to post more info. No one can help you with this sort of open endedness
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

gullum

25 Dec 2018

are you recording using á microphone? if yes then you have to use headphones or Reason will record everything coming out of your speaker

Mr. Watts

25 Dec 2018

1) If your recording a guitar with a microphone you need to wear headphones because microphones pick up other noises present while recording.

2) If you’re recording an electric guitar with passive pickups, the pickups can also pick up audio so wearing headphones is necessary.

3) If you include more details in your posts it will be easier for others on the forum to help you solve problems.

4) Happy Holidays!

mab717

26 Dec 2018

Sorry about the lack of info... Electric guitar through a Line 6 pocket pod going into the audio input on the sound card... The drum track recording is disabled, but still recording into the guitar track... The only thing I can do to keep anything from recording into the guitar track is to mute everything else besides the track I'm recording, in which case I can't hear anything while I'm recording... Hope this makes more sense... Thanks for the replies!

WeLoveYouToo

26 Dec 2018

hard to tell without seeing your settings, but some quick checks would be:
1) maybe you have the drum track record-enabled (the red circle button in the sequencer on the left).
2) maybe you have the drum track routed into the guitar track? check the cables in the rear of the rack (hit tab on the rack screen) or in the mixer
3) you might have the input for the guitar track selected as the drum track... check in the drop down input menu (next to the record enabled button)
4) you might have the input you think is the guitar actually the mic (or built in mic on your computer) and so its recording that because you didn't select your guitar (see #3)

that's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.
best way to troubleshoot is to open a new empty rack, and load your drum track as one channel, then create a 2nd audio track, select the guitar input on your sound card that's receiving your guitar, and record.
then go back to the file you were getting the wrong recording on and compare and contrast settings.

SymphonicDischord

26 Dec 2018

Where is your drum track coming from? Is it already on a separate track in Reason? If it’s coming from an external source as well I would make sure that you are sending that source to a separate Reason track and not to your guitar track.

mab717

26 Dec 2018

So yeah, the drum track is just a plain ol' ReDrum track (groovemasters rock kit or whatever)... And to WeLove, it's definitely not 1,2, or 4... As far as the input dropdown box, it's just mono input and ASIO4ALL input1 that are selected... Is it possible it's the ASIO driver?.... Oh, I also get the same result with multiple guitar tracks with no drums at all.... I record one audio track with guitar, then create a new audio track, click the recording enable button off on the first track, then try to record on the second track, and the first track still records into the second one... Does the same thing with everything, bass, synth, etc... I don't know if any of that helps, but thanks again for your time!

Marco Raaphorst

27 Dec 2018

for monitoring an audio-track the speaker-icon needs to be active
for recording an audio-track the red dot in the lane needs to be active

antic604

27 Dec 2018

It seems like you have some fundamental issues with your setup, basically recording everything that Reason outputs.

I'd encourage you to go through pages 140-155 of Reason's excellent Operational Manual, so that you could understand what you're doing.

• Information