Using a USB input mixer with Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Moomin65

22 Jan 2019

Hi,

I currently use reason in a live environment. I currently have an internal soundcard and take the phono output from the computer to a mixer and from the mixer to the speaker system. This works fine and having the mixer allows me to use live instruments and vocals at the same time as playback from reason. However, I have just moved to a laptop without phono or jack outputs.

I want to carry on doing what Im doing so I think I have 2 options here and wanted to see if you guys had any advice:

Option 1: take USB out from the laptop to an external audio device such as the focusrite scarlett, then output from the audio device to a mixer and from the mixer to the speaker system. (I do really need a mixer for my setup).

Option 2: bypass the need for the external audio device by taking USB output from laptop straight into a USB input on a mixer that has this type of input, then from the mixer to the speaker system.

Option 2 is preferred as I have a mixer in mind and bypasses the need for an external audio device. My question is whether any of you guys use a USB mixer and whether Reason will allow me to output the signal through USB to the mixer?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

selig
RE Developer

22 Jan 2019

You didn't mention which mixer you had in mind, but I can recommend the new Zoom L20 (or L12) mixer for exactly this purpose.

My new live setup I've been building this month is based on the Zoom L20, and the features are pretty sweet. In a small form factor mixer I get 16 mic preamps, two inputs with hi-Z (guiltar/bass) inputs, two stereo line/USB inputs (20 inputs total), two very decent built in FX that include tempo sync delays, 5 separate mix outputs for headphones or in ear/monitors (or as additional FX sends), 9 scenes, bluetooth option for remote iPad control (very handy for live), and full bi-directional USB for all 22 channels (including the mix outs) into Reason, plus four (2 stereo) channels back into the mixer's stereo line inputs.

This means you can record up to 20 individual inputs from the mixer into individual tracks in Reason, 16 of which have mic preamps w/phantom power, making it the most cost effective audio interface I've found for recording.

And finally, for live standalone use you can record to an internal SD card, up to 22 channels (including the main mix).

There are two versions, the L12 and the L20, with the L12 cutting some of the features from the L20 such as one less FX channel, channel solo, variable low cut filter on each channel, polarity flip for each channel, no bluetooth option, and a few other minor simplifications of the monitor section.

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/product ... etrak-l-20
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/product ... etrak-l-12
Selig Audio, LLC

Skimrok

26 Jan 2019

^^^ @ seliq very nice good value just been checking them out on U.K. retailers,I come to the conclusion with most modern pcs the internal soundcard itself is pretty good so the usb function sounds great on that mixer ;) but one little thing which annoys me why don’t they have phono for a record deck? That would be so handy , it saves buying pre amp box for it , or am missing a simple method to do it? I like the idea less in the chain the better.
Example long way for a record deck,

Pc daw, ext audio interface,mixer,phono pre amp,record deck

to a short way would be ace for me

Pc daw,mixer,record deck

I have over 3000 vinyls and sometimes I like to get it in the pc

Sorry about the hijack of thread OP I thought I ask while I was here looking ;)
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Surfeast

26 Jan 2019

Zoom L20 Works well!
Inspired by hearing Kraftwerk in 1976

LarsK

26 Jan 2019

Skimrok wrote:
26 Jan 2019
^^^ @ seliq very nice good value just been checking them out on U.K. retailers,I come to the conclusion with most modern pcs the internal soundcard itself is pretty good so the usb function sounds great on that mixer ;) but one little thing which annoys me why don’t they have phono for a record deck? That would be so handy , it saves buying pre amp box for it , or am missing a simple method to do it? I like the idea less in the chain the better.

Pc daw,mixer,record deck

17/18 + 19/20 have phono right below the 1/4", no?

Skimrok

26 Jan 2019

LarsK wrote:
26 Jan 2019
Skimrok wrote:
26 Jan 2019

Pc daw,mixer,record deck

No because that’s the version for cd / tape / minidisc etc some people do get confused about this especially the younger folks because they look identical , also mostly will have a ground “tab nut”if it was phono
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2019

Skimrok wrote: No because that’s the version for cd / tape / minidisc etc some people do get confused about this especially the younger folks because they look identical , also mostly will have a ground “tab nut”if it was phono
That’s the confusion between “phono jacks” vs “phono preamp” - similar names and totally different functions!

L-20 has phono jacks, but no phono preamp.

But to be sure, many new turntables have built in phono preamps which is a good way to go for live IMO.

Plus, the market for a mixer with phono preamps is probably small, and because of the above is likely shrinking too.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Skimrok

26 Jan 2019

^^ I nearly mentioned the newer turntables but I didn’t want to make it even more complicated ;) you are right since the 00s years a lot of products started to ditch the pre amps phono I remember getting a little micro hi fi system only about 5 years ago and that was a challenge just so I can hook up my old turntable
Attachments
8A02CA05-6BEF-4A7D-9A2B-67DBC201DB1A.jpeg
8A02CA05-6BEF-4A7D-9A2B-67DBC201DB1A.jpeg (41.91 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2019

Skimrok wrote:^^ I nearly mentioned the newer turntables but I didn’t want to make it even more complicated ;) you are right since the 00s years a lot of products started to ditch the pre amps phono I remember getting a little micro hi fi system only about 5 years ago and that was a challenge just so I can hook up my old turntable
Damn dude, that’s the gold standard right there. I bow to your turntable-fu!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Skimrok

26 Jan 2019

More luck at the time,I got it when they first did the run right time right place looking back because I see a article about they was doing them, I walked psss a hifi shop close to me on a total different matter altogether so walked in and they said they had one on order I said I give you a deposit I take it when it comes in,

maybe I be better forgetting the deck at the moment and grab one of these dedicated usb decks they do via other brands and bypass everything , because I really do want to get a lot of my vinyl collection inside a pc and have everything to hand that way for convenience,

Back to the mixer I do like the look of it’s spec looks very future proof at the same time

LarsK

27 Jan 2019

Skimrok wrote:
26 Jan 2019
LarsK wrote:
26 Jan 2019

No because that’s the version for cd / tape / minidisc etc some people do get confused about this especially the younger folks because they look identical , also mostly will have a ground “tab nut”if it was phono
Got it - and thanks for clearing this up :) :thumbs_up:

• Information