New to Reason, need help.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Litfuse

31 Jan 2019

Hello everyone! I am a bass player and looking to do a solo project. The project will include drum tracks through Addictive Drummer 2 and then multiple layers of bass tracks. I currently use Pro Tools 7.4 and the newest version of Reaper. I'm looking at getting Reason 10 or Reason Intro. I plan on using Reason mostly for its synths and racks and not necessarily my main DAW. I will probably use it for percussion sounds as well. I'm fairly knowledgeable about Pro Tools and Reaper, but lack the knowledge about Reason. Trying decide if I should get the full version of Reason 10 or go for Reason Intro? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Loque

01 Feb 2019

Tbh, if you just look for synth sound and don't want to switch, you should buy a few synths or start with a few free VSTs. I guess you do not want to experiment with sounds, CV and audio routings.
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

01 Feb 2019

Download the trial version and take it for a spin. You might decide there isn’t any reason why Reason couldn’t be your main DAW. :)

Loque

01 Feb 2019

Reason12, Win10

Molotovbeatz

01 Feb 2019

And also spend your time doing many research as you can on Youtube in the things that you are looking for. Before purchasing my Reason DAW, I spent almost every day looking at various tutorials on how to achieve various things. This helped me a lot understanding how the DAW works. I suggest you doing the same.

Not long ago I looked on YT how to recreate or make a custom BASS/808 sound from available instruments and utilities in Reason 10 ;)

ejanuska

01 Feb 2019

I think using Reason like that would be interesting, but running Pro Tools and Reason at the same time? Hope you have a high end computer.

Oquasec

01 Feb 2019

Use Reason 5 then upgrade after you done learning Reason 5.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

toddbooster

02 Feb 2019

One thing to consider with your intended use case is that Reason Intro can't be rewired, so full Reason it has to be. I also don't see any reason you couldn't do everything you want right in Reason. I use AD 2 all the time and achieve good performance, as well as Amplitube and Guitar Rig for bass and guitar amps. If you're worried about the VST performance penalty, I only seem to have problems with heavy hitters like iZotope Neutron, or Waves Abbey Road Chambers giving me bad spikes. I also think Reasons shortcomings as a DAW can be overstated at times; it does most things I can think of well enough. Editing is functional, comping is elegant, and the built-in pitch editor is great. I find the rack a bit intimidating, but you don't actually have to look at it much if you don't want, and you don't need to mess with the swingy wires if that's not your bag. It really has a lot going for it beyond the common perception of using it only as an instrument.

Edit to add: In fact, I used Reason for the first 6 months I owned it without even touching a single Reason device!

toddbooster

02 Feb 2019

Now, for full disclosure, things that bug me about recording in Reason: No punch-in, no markers, no track freezing, no ability to hide tracks, no auto save, and for reasons I will never understand, everything related to the project is contained in one giant file.

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2019

ejanuska wrote:
01 Feb 2019
I think using Reason like that would be interesting, but running Pro Tools and Reason at the same time? Hope you have a high end computer.
Oh really? I'm running the latest version of Pro Tools and Reason with tons of AAX Plugins and VSTs on a 2012 Mac mini and a UR22. I have no issues.

To the OP - if you're just looking for extra sounds to compliment your tracks, I don't see why you would want to complicate your flow by using Reason just for that. Having to rewire or import/export all the time really sucks. I say either stick with Pro Tools and upgrade your synths and samples, or switch to Reason and do everything there. I don't know ANYONE EVER who's ever been like "I'm gonna use Reason for its percussion sounds". And you have Addictive Drums 2? What's wrong with the stuff in Pro Tools? I believe XPAND comes with it and it's loaded with perc sounds. And you want to use Reason for its "racks"? What do you even mean? Before you make a $399 mistake, you should figure out why you can't use what you already have or maybe how you can supplement (for WAY less than $399) what you already have.

I need to stop responding to nOObs cuz I'm starting to sound mean. :puf_bigsmile:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

ejanuska

04 Feb 2019

hurricane wrote:
02 Feb 2019

I need to stop responding to nOObs cuz I'm starting to sound mean. :puf_bigsmile:
You don't sound mean.
Just pretentious.

Litfuse

04 Feb 2019

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I’m not a newbie to recording, but definitely to Reason. What I have found is that I like to edit my midi drum tracks in Reaper and then drop them in ProTools. I like the workflow of ProTools compared to Reaper and Reason...so far. But I’m willing to devote time to Reason. I do agree, I hate exporting and importing files. It is a pain!

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2019

ejanuska wrote:
04 Feb 2019
hurricane wrote:
02 Feb 2019

You don't sound mean.
Just pretentious.
Great - that's what I was going for!

And at least I'm truthful and somewhat knowledgeable on this subject. It's not like I'm telling people they must possess a high end computer to run Reason and Pro Tools and that they have to use gobbler to download Softube plugins. ;)
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Oquasec

04 Feb 2019

Sibelius seems perfect. But yeah man just get the Reason operation manual it covers damn near 1000 pages
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information