Praising Reason's portability

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

12 Apr 2019

Much has been said about how convenient Reason's closed RE environment is, but just yesterday I had a chance to witness it first hand because I bought a new laptop and I'm moving my stuff to there from Surface Pro 4.

Obviously installing DAWs & moving projects is similar everywhere, but with Reason I also had all my 3rd party sounds and REs installed with just few clicks of a mouse and it all synced up in the background, while I was watching Netflix' "Afterlife" :puf_bigsmile: Today I'm planning to start moving VSTs (+/-100 plugins) and I'm already scared - there's few dozen sites I need to get installation files & serial numbers from, some install directly, others require some middle-man application (like NI, Arturia, Waves, Plugin Alliance), some let me choose the destination folder(s) others don't, some are on a software iLok so I need to un-register them there first, so that I'm not left hanging... It'll probably take few nights to complete :( :roll:

Reason on the other hand, is like walk in the park :thumbs_up:

The ONLY weird thing with Reason is that - if I don't have the physical dongle - I have to claim I "lost" my old computer to activate new one! Why is that? Can't I simply say "I don't plan on using Reason there anymore". I don't feel comfortable lying to Props that I've "lost my computer", when I know full well it will from now on serve as a toilet web browser ;) :D

flightONE

12 Apr 2019

Yes! portability is awesome in Reason. I regularly go back and forth between PC and Mac without issues, and have had to go through all the activation pain you just described with VSTs . I've also been trying out FL studio for Mac but when I open Mac projects on PC It sometimes can't find the VSTs which sucks. I've never seen such issues with Reason, even with VSTs

i'm pretty sure i've deactivated a physical computer before. I think you need to log from the computer you're about to deactivate and there will be an option somewhere.

ScuzzyEye

12 Apr 2019

flightONE wrote:
12 Apr 2019
i'm pretty sure i've deactivated a physical computer before. I think you need to log from the computer you're about to deactivate and there will be an option somewhere.
Yes, if your computer is still working, you can deactivate it. You should really only use "lost" if it has been lost, or the hard drive failed, and you had to rebuild from scratch. You can only lose your computer twice.

motuscott

12 Apr 2019

Another vote for "That Reason Smell™" :puf_smile: .
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

sycon

12 Apr 2019

flightONE wrote:
12 Apr 2019
My products -> Show details (under "Reason version 10") -> Manage license -> Remove license (under "Computer")

Should do the trick!

• Information