Reason 10.4 Update

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 May 2019

boingy wrote:
24 May 2019
I just think it's an odd business decision. That's exactly the sort of thing they should be looking to make a little money on.
Those two devices is not so much a Reason update, it is a Compact update. Reason just them to be compatible for file transfer, but I'm not complaining. The idea with Compact is to reach new demographics and bring them into Reason and make money. This is good for all of us. More future Reason users, more sequencer updates etc, more RE sales, more new REs to get (if you so desire), and so on. The wheels are spinnin'
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

antic604

24 May 2019

While I'm happy to get free toys (as a desktop Reason user), I really think they ought put more work in designing them :cry:

When working with Monotone most of the knobs are really too small and hard to read what's the knob position. Different sections should've been color coded or at least more distinguished (and what's so special about the LFO and Envelope to put them on a "removable" panel). I don't get why two envelopes we have there are controlled differently (knobs vs. faders), so there's no easy way to compare setting visually. And why isn't "Envelope" called "Filter envelope", since it can't be assigned to anything else?

Otherwise, it's a surprisingly fine sounding and versatile synth!

Rytmik - design wise - is even worse, as it's dark, drab and boring... Why isn't it more lively, colourful like Kong? Or complex and flashy like Umpf? Why are all the controls the same color as the background, so you can barely see them? Why there's no slot for OPEN HIHAT?! The only thing I like are visualisations for Master FX

Gosh, I really would like Props to add an option to hide selected REs and native devices from the Browser, just like we can with VSTs :(

Eprom

24 May 2019

I don't think I will ever use Rytmik, but Monotone is great!
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

EnochLight

24 May 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
23 May 2019
I'm not a compact user, but for the full version why do these devices need to exist? Subtractor with filter overdrive would have been nice. Redrum with HPF/LPF and modern envelopes would be nice.

What about Kong...does anyone remember that Reason had the beginnings of a proper drum designer? It's still stuck in 2010 with none of the envelope/filter/sample edit features that these underpowered toy instruments have gotten lately.

"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing." -Ron Swanson
The whole point of getting Monotone and Rytmik in Reason proper - for free - is to allow 100% compatibility between Reason Compact and Reason proper. The reason they didn’t use Subtractor, Redrum, or Kong is because none of those are Rack Extensions (and RE’s are the only thing they can move between platforms with little effort).

But even if a legacy device like Subtractor were to be ported, it would have no effects - making it sound pretty flat in Compact (note that all devices in Compact each have their own onboard effects “out of the box”). Kong could be the exception, but if Kong could easily be ported to RE right now, I’m sure they would have done it. Perhaps the RE SDK still lacks some features (ironically) to let that happen...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

24 May 2019

Well, the envelope can also control FM between OSC 1 & 2. So that's probably why. Sound wise I really like Monotone. It's compact, tidy, and gets the job done without a bunch of messing about. More devices like this would be great tbh.

Rytmik is an odd one. Some strange design choices for sure. BUT, that said, some of the preset kits are really usable. In fact the sound quality of the samples is generally pretty great. I guess it's just worth considering that these two devices are primarily for compatibility with Compact 2. Umpf has most of what people are saying Rytmik doesn't have. And ReDrum will always be ReDrum, even if it's not looking the best these days ;)

antic604

24 May 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 May 2019
Well, the envelope can also control FM between OSC 1 & 2.
Ah, I missed that! I thought it only directly controls the amount of FM.
chimp_spanner wrote:
24 May 2019
And ReDrum will always be ReDrum, even if it's not looking the best these days ;)
Disagree. ReDrum is still one of the most handsome Reason devices, especially the knobs and light-up buttons :)

dan_g

24 May 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 May 2019
...And ReDrum will always be ReDrum, even if it's not looking the best these days ;)
and thats why its still my drummachine of choice over kong <3

:thumbs_up:
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

dusan.cani

24 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
24 May 2019
While I'm happy to get free toys (as a desktop Reason user), I really think they ought put more work in designing them :cry:

When working with Monotone most of the knobs are really too small and hard to read what's the knob position. Different sections should've been color coded or at least more distinguished (and what's so special about the LFO and Envelope to put them on a "removable" panel). I don't get why two envelopes we have there are controlled differently (knobs vs. faders), so there's no easy way to compare setting visually. And why isn't "Envelope" called "Filter envelope", since it can't be assigned to anything else?

Rytmik - design wise - is even worse, as it's dark, drab and boring... Why isn't it more lively, colourful like Kong? Or complex and flashy like Umpf? Why are all the controls the same color as the background, so you can barely see them? Why there's no slot for OPEN HIHAT?! The only thing I like are visualisations for Master FX

Gosh, I really would like Props to add an option to hide selected REs and native devices from the Browser, just like we can with VSTs :(
I totally agree with you !

Originally I didn't want to complain, but I am glad that there is also someone who feels the update this way.

Exactly as you said, I don't find the UI of Monotone intuitive because of all the things you've mentioned.

Personally, I don't like idea that Reason will now contain a toy devices like Rytmik which si aimed for totally different platform and have totally different purpose. For quick sketchpad ideas we already have the Redrum, but compared to the Rytmik the Redrum can be used also in more detailed way and the Redrum is full featured Reason device which fits into the Reason context.

altron

24 May 2019

This took me by surprise!
Trap is where music goes to die.

dioxide

24 May 2019

The LFO and Envelope are both mod sources.

I really like the look of Monotone. I don't like Rytmik at all though and the flickering between drums displays when you play them is annoying. They should have separate select buttons.

Wobbleburger

24 May 2019

Reason Compact for Android??
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

DJDark2010

24 May 2019

Very low and silent they releas an update :) - How nice is that ... LUL - Didnt have had a hint on that, but thank you Probs for two new devices :) Thank you!!!! :thumbs_up:

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 May 2019

RYTMIK - load the Simmons tom on each channel, pitch and pan them, run them through gated reverb. There's your very quickly made bank of 80s toms. Do the same with the Hybrid (the L10 in particular) and Shield tom samples for a late 80s feel.

If you like finger-drumming like me, you can also trigger multiple samples at the same time for some instant sonic gratification - comes in handy for something like snares:

rytmik layered trigger.png
rytmik layered trigger.png (244.64 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

I am CRAVING simplicity, and these two free instruments do it for me.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

antic604

24 May 2019

dioxide wrote:
24 May 2019
The LFO and Envelope are both mod sources.
Yeah, I get that now because I overlooked the fact that oscillator FM is impacted by the Envelope :)

But still, even though I think the INSTRUMENT itself is great, the design is lazy at best.
Why wouldn't they do it more like Moog's Grandmother (without the keys and patch-points, obviously)?

It makes sense on mobile to stick to a certain scheme / accents for a device (yellow=Monotone, red=Europa, blue=Rytmik), but they could've done so much more with this on desktop! Perhaps I'm alone, but one of the things that sold be on Reason 2 years ago was this picture and how colourful and inviting it was (maybe except for Pangea):

chimp_spanner

24 May 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
24 May 2019
I think Android's poor audio performance is still a barrier to that. Also perhaps a lack of willingness of developers to put that much time and effort into porting their apps to a platform that won't perform as well, and has infinitely more variation/fragmentation in terms of OS and hardware. iOS is a closed system, for the most part. In a lot of ways it's annoying as hell. But I can see why it's an attractive prospect for devs. Audio performance is great. Everything is standardised.

Of course if Android ever sorted itself out in that regard I'd be happy to switch. Only ever had one Android phone and I loved it. It was just too slow, so I went back to my old iPhone 6. Air 2 is still going strong also. Beast for music on the go.

Sargie

24 May 2019

There are a number of reasons why developing for Android is less desirable than iOS.

1. Vast number of different device specifications and multiple stores make support more problematic.

2. Historically Inferior audio libraries.

3. Despite being more numerous, Android users tend to spend less money on software than iOS users.

Social Exodus

24 May 2019

Continued coordinated snub of Android devices IN GENERAL is an issue for me anyway on principal alone, but when I really think about it -- I would likely never use it anyway after the novelty wore out.

Meanwhile, Reason 10.4 on my recording computer is super welcome and much appreciated. Thanks Props ;)
Last edited by Social Exodus on 24 May 2019, edited 3 times in total.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

pushedbutton

24 May 2019

Why won't RYTMIK automap to the drum player?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

fieldframe
RE Developer

24 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
24 May 2019

I think you're right about the knobs, not necessarily that they're too small but the markings on them are too small. If you look at something like Subtractor, all the knobs have thick, contrasting lines that go all the way to the center of the knob. Also agreed that "envelope" should specify "filter" since it's not routable.

I disagree about color, though. There's no "color coding" when sections are just colored differently, unless they're matched to something else. The Moog Grandmother doesn't have color-coded modules, because they use the same colors on the performance control buttons and they don't match the functionality above! There are many ways to create "chunking" as it's called in UX design, and color is only one tool in the toolbox. The way Propellerhead has separated the sections with proximity and contrast works pretty well.

Visually, I'm actually glad to see something with this refined a UI in Reason after the somewhat unrefined Europa and Grain. Monotone doesn't have much in the way of arbitrary fluff, unlike all the different colors, textures, and shapes thrown around in Europa and Grain.

Social Exodus

24 May 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 May 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
24 May 2019
I think Android's poor audio performance is still a barrier to that. Also perhaps a lack of willingness of developers to put that much time and effort into porting their apps to a platform that won't perform as well, and has infinitely more variation/fragmentation in terms of OS and hardware. iOS is a closed system, for the most part. In a lot of ways it's annoying as hell. But I can see why it's an attractive prospect for devs. Audio performance is great. Everything is standardised.

Of course if Android ever sorted itself out in that regard I'd be happy to switch. Only ever had one Android phone and I loved it. It was just too slow, so I went back to my old iPhone 6. Air 2 is still going strong also. Beast for music on the go.
I have a Google Pixel 3 XL and I assure you it is most definitely not slow. At all. Runs circles around my buddy's iPhone X in fact and the camera is top shelf.

But that said, not sure Android is interested in making the audio better for recording, even though I wish they would. I think Android's target audience is more the "get things done in the real world" kind of person, or at least that's why I love it. As much as I might want Reason Compact to be available on Android, I am somewhat glad they don't go that way because if you try to please everyone, you please no one in the end. This is why Apple and Android sort of compliment one another, and users can choose based on their personality types.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

boingy

24 May 2019

Social Exodus wrote:
24 May 2019
chimp_spanner wrote:
24 May 2019

I have a Google Pixel 3 XL and I assure you it is most definitely not slow. At all. Runs circles around my buddy's iPhone X in fact and the camera is top shelf.

But that said, not sure Android is interested in making the audio better for recording, even though I wish they would. I think Android's target audience is more the "get things done in the real world" kind of person, or at least that's why I love it. As much as I might want Reason Compact to be available on Android, I am somewhat glad they don't go that way because if you try to please everyone, you please no one in the end. This is why Apple and Android sort of compliment one another, and users can choose based on their personality types.
Android is making improvements to the audio to reduce the (sometimes unpredictable) latency. However, those improvements will only be in the very latest versions of Android and will initially only run on the high-priced, high-spec tablets and phones. There are still new phones coming out with Android that is several flavours behind the "now", simply because those versions run better on lower spec hardware. So I think it will be a good long while before there is a large enough user base to tempt developers to port stuff to Android. Of course, if the app (or any other app) is good enough you could justify buying an iPad especially for that purpose, just like you buy a hardware synth.

RDS

24 May 2019

Edin_16 wrote:
23 May 2019
New free update devices are awesome, espeacially the bass synth - killa :))) thanks !!
According to the latest crew blog the synth is designed by "Pelle" (that would be no other than Peter Jubel, on of the founders of PH and dsp-guru)

A side note to that is that I the other day started listen to a swedish band called Spacelab in which he was one of two members.

JerrelTheKing

24 May 2019

Just bought The Legend a few days ago and then Reason drops this.. smh

OverneathTheSkyBridg

24 May 2019

As if I didnt already have enough devices! Like antic604 said earlier it would be nice if we had a way to hide REs and stock devices. The endless amount of browser scrolling gets a little much.

reggie1979

24 May 2019

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
24 May 2019
As if I didnt already have enough devices! Like antic604 said earlier it would be nice if we had a way to hide REs and stock devices. The endless amount of browser scrolling gets a little much.
You know what I think just might be better? A favorites so that you can skip that mess (it's really annoying and I don't have as many RE/VST's as most! )

One thing though is you can right click on a track which I find at least a little less cluttered.

• Information