[Poll] is Reason your primary DAW? Are you excited about R11?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

which option most closely applies to you?

I use Reason as my primary/only DAW, and I can’t wait for Reason 11 :D
25%
I use Reason as my primary/only DAW, and I’m not excited for Reason 11 :(
55%
I use another DAW as my primary DAW, and I can’t wait for Reason 11 :D
15%
I use another DAW as my primary DAW, and I’m not excited for Reason 11 :(
5%

Total votes: 161
guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

most people have fairly clear ideas of how they feel about the new version, but I’m curious how those opinions line up based on how you’re currently using Reason with versions 10.4 and earlier.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MannequinRaces

26 Aug 2019

I use Reason as my primary DAW and don’t want to shop for another DAW. The sequencer improvements are nice but not $129 nice. Gonna wait and see what the point updates to 11 bring to the table (if there are point updates, which there usually is) and maybe that will sway me to upgrade.

There’s lots of other nice DAWs out there and even though they have more features I can get the sounds I want out of Reason and am trying really hard to stave off the ‘need’ for better sequencer and audio editing tools... hell even the way Bitwig does modulation has me drooling but I don’t need that stuff to make music.

Now if I was doing music for a career making money I most certainly would be using a more advanced DAW for workflow related stuff and be using Reason for sound design.

That’s my two cents anyway.

I should also add if money were no object I’d own Live, Logic, Bitwig, and maybe more, lol.

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

Well I was the first option, but now my mindset is changed i'm actually quite excited. Soon maybe next week all being well I will demo Studio One. Its available as a rent-to-own and supports VST3. Does anyone know if any other vendor does rent2own?

Zerosity

27 Aug 2019

Another poll I cannot respond to because I'm conflicted on this release. Either way I used Reason as my main DAW and own a license for Abelton Live.

boingy

27 Aug 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
26 Aug 2019

I should also add if money were no object I’d own Live, Logic, Bitwig, and maybe more, lol.
That would make you less productive. Too much choice hehe.

I think we'll see an R11.1 within a few months, bringing the already announced AU support but also throwing a bone to the standalone Reason and (hopefully) making the R11 upgrade more appealing to everyone.

In the meantime I'm stoked by the rack plugin thing!

ShelLuser

27 Aug 2019

I use Live as my main DAW and add onto this using Reason, for me this is the perfect combination also because of the specific workflow within both DAWs. There's stuff I can(not) do in Live but can in Reason and vice versa.

Alas, I cannot wait for Reason 11 but for the simple reason that I upgraded to 10 last weekend and as a pleasant surprise this means I get a free license for 11. Although I am a little disappointed that the Rack plugin won't provide outgoing midi (nor a sequencer) I am excited thinking about the new options I'll have.

For example: it should become a lot easier to control the Reason rack from within Live (and thus also from my APC40 or Push controller) than it is now. For now I build myself a "Max for Live" device which can send specific midi data over the rewire line to adjust the controls on whatever I'm working with. Which is tricky (I need a new set of controls and signals for every kind of device I want to control) and should become much easier with Live's native VST device.
--- :reason:

stevan

27 Aug 2019

I do love all the News in Reason 11, BUT It's simply much to less for 129.- € , from my point of view. Some guys maybe waiting for the Reason Plugin, but if you a standalone Reason user (since V1) like me, there is not so much more in this update. I'm simply not impressed. 2 "new" standard efx, some rebuilt mixer tools and some new seq. edit functions. That's it … for 129.- € !? Other Thing is, that we have to pay extra for new PHS Instruments (Scenic Hybrid Instrument), again …

reggie1979

27 Aug 2019

If the rhetoric and polls are even close to being accurate, people are not terribly excited about this. I'll be on 10.4 for a long time.

dan_g

27 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
If the rhetoric and polls are even close to being accurate, people are not terribly excited about this. I'll be on 10.4 for a long time.
same for me, staying 10.4 . the polls and the anouncment post speak for themselves.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

tiker01

27 Aug 2019

dan_g wrote:
27 Aug 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
same for me, staying 10.4 . the polls and the anouncment post speak for themselves.
82 users have voted so far. I am not sure that is representative.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

tiker01 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
dan_g wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Well give it 18 more users and we have a confidence level of approx. +/- 10%
It's representative (for Reasontalk) but not precise yet.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Karim
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

Poll results speak for themselves. After 19 years of updates I hardly believe that I will need this version
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

loopeydoug

27 Aug 2019

I imagine the user-base of this forum doesn't well-represent those who don't use Reason as their primary. What percentage of Logic(primary) users- that may well be very excited about R11- have an account on Reasontalk?

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

When I look at other DAWs and what they offer, especially the vastness of major cutting-edge improvements and then see the puny, barely keeping up with the times, money hungry desperate upgrades in Propellerhead land I am straight flabbergasted.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Loque

27 Aug 2019

loopeydoug wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I imagine the user-base of this forum doesn't well-represent those who don't use Reason as their primary. What percentage of Logic(primary) users- that may well be very excited about R11- have an account on Reasontalk?
A quick search today about more infos showed, that the Reason Rack VST is widely recognized by non Reason-Main-Users and they seem to be very interested and some are excited.
Reason12, Win10

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

loopeydoug wrote:
27 Aug 2019
At the same time, why would anyone who uses only Reason hang out in a non-Reason community, whom (?) this update is meant for?
So those surveys are very representative regarding the opinion of core users.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

ShelLuser

27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
When I look at other DAWs and what they offer, especially the vastness of major cutting-edge improvements and then see the puny, barely keeping up with the times, money hungry desperate upgrades in Propellerhead land I am straight flabbergasted.
The grass is always green on the other side of the hill, as the saying goes. But honestly, you often hear the same kind of complaints within other DAW communities.

For example my favorite of Live... 9 was pretty ground breaking because they severely changed the UI with adding a bit of a browser, roughly comparable to what Reason has. Of course the real reason they did that was to make Live more accessible to their Push hardware controller.

But if we now look at 10.... We have 1 new synth instrument ('Wavetable') and 4 new effects where some are kind of re-releases of already existing devices. The effects are: Echo (sound delay), Drum bus (percussion compressor), Pedal (a stomp box), Channel EQ and Delay which basically combines 2 existing devices: Simple delay & Ping pong delay.

Next we have several 'Max for Live' tools which are new, sure, and impressive but... Max for Live is a programming environment which I usually use to make my own tools, I seldomly rely on 3rd party stuff.

And then we have "workflow improvements" like editing multiple midi clips at once and grouping group tracks in new groups.

Upgrade price: E 200,-

In comparison... Reason 11 brings you 5 new devices (where some are remakes of existing features) and workflow updates.

Upgrade price E 129,-

I'd say that's pretty evenly matched.

pushedbutton

27 Aug 2019

Kinda feels like my partner has just suggested swinging... yeah it could be exciting in the short term but in the long term this could spell trouble for our relationship.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

jjrh

27 Aug 2019

Karim wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Poll results speak for themselves. After 19 years of updates I hardly believe that I will need this version
I don't quite understand the pricing (is it free if you own 10 already?) but either way i'll upgrade on day 1. It's not everything I wanted (I was really hoping for a new combinator that had more knobs, buttons,CV, programming copy/paste, and more fields to program) but it's decent.

The whole act as a VST plugin in another DAW is actually pretty huge since for someone on another DAW with zero interest in switching, $500 for all of reasons instruments and effects is a pretty damn good deal, for reason users who either flip between DAWs or are interested in switching, bringing all the effects and instruments you know inside out makes that transition much easier (and cheaper - you're not purchasing VST's to replace instruments)

reggie1979

27 Aug 2019

tiker01 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
dan_g wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Maybe not, but the chatter is. A handful of people excited about it and a bunch of people not impressed enough to pay for that update*

*for now, maybe 11.1

WillyOD

27 Aug 2019

Didn't want to create another thread, so I thought this might fit in here.

I've been Reason only, wanting to do everything in Reason, for a long time. Even before we got audio support with Record.

Such a strange thing then that the R11 announcement (only interested in the workflow updates) has me looking at other DAWs. Probably nothing too "serious", I feel like I'm never giving up on Reason, but quite frankly I didn't think *this* would happen: I'm exploring alternatives... I'm not even sure why but I guess for an inspiration, a shake-up, or something...?

My best bet would probably be just updating my Reaper license, but I just downloaded Studio One 4 Prime (free download on their website), and I'm quite surprised how good the software feels. Might give Ableton Live a go next, not really interested in other DAWs beside these ATM.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Data_Shrine

27 Aug 2019

Coz I use Rewire, and they killed it. So R10 is the last version of Reason for me. I have big doubts about the Rack VST and I also won't be able to load my older (even current) projects.

ShelLuser

28 Aug 2019

Data_Shrine wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Coz I use Rewire, and they killed it. So R10 is the last version of Reason for me. I have big doubts about the Rack VST and I also won't be able to load my older (even current) projects.
At the risk of stating the obvious (sorry if you already knew this) but you can use Reason 11 next to your current version (at least that's what I read), meaning that you could simply use your current version for ReWire and then 11 for the rack plugin. It could provide the best of both worlds, maybe even giving you solid options to enhance on your existing setups.

But being a ReWire user myself I definitely agree; this development has me a little bit worried too.

reddust

28 Aug 2019

I'm personally not excited either as this update seems to be more dedicated to people using other DAWs (combined or not with Reason until now) and for only Reason users there is very little to justify the price or even calling this Reason 11 and not 10.5... I'll stay with 10.4 for now

musicman691

28 Aug 2019

I use Pro Tools as my primary daw with Digital Performer as a secondary. I've never used Reason as a daw - way too limited. I was initially excited to see R11 and that Rewire is going the way of the dodo. That is until I saw you STILL can't host vst's inside it when it's running as a plugin (same as when running current Reason rewired to your regular daw). I HATE Rewire particularly the way Reason implemented it - the MIDI routing from daw to Reason is a pain in the arse and it's one way only.

Another reason I'm now less than thrilled and am not a 'can't wait to buy it' person is no aax support and given the developer's lack of speed in doing things I'm not holding out hope that it will ever happen.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

• Information