VST Rack crashing in offline mode

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
AHmedia

25 Sep 2019

Just wanting to find out if anyone can confirm this.

The VST Rack crashes in Offline mode only with an assertion error. I can't try my other computers, because the licensing Server is down at the moment.
Some notes: I did a clean Reason 11 install this morning after downloading the new installers. My offline PC has a clean Windows install on it and the initial install/online authorization/RE Sync went fine. Reason 11 also runs fine in standalone mode when the PC is offline. However, trying to load the VST Rack, results in an assertion error, crashing the host if continued.
As soon as I put the PC online, the VST Rack loads fine without any problems. Since this is a clean install, I also installed the latest Codemeter software and rebooted the PC afterward. Codemeter was not showing any issues. Again, Reason 11 runs fine in offline authorized standalone mode.

MannequinRaces

25 Sep 2019

What DAW are you opening the VST Rack in?

AHmedia

25 Sep 2019

Studio One 4 with latest update

exxx

25 Sep 2019

Wouldn't it be possible if Studio One was blocked from online?

You can also check if Studio One's online connection is open.

If that's the case, this should be fixed in Reason Studio.

It's not a real offline use

AHmedia

25 Sep 2019

Gonna wait until the authorization server is back up and try authorizing one of my other computers for offline. Thankfully I managed to deauthorize the other PC before I couldn't connect to the server anymore.
I have another PC (this one) and a MacBook Pro that has the same Software configuration, except running macOS of course. Be interesting to see if the Rack crashes there too when it's offline.
I don't wanna jump the gun here, but isn't this kinda stuff supposed to be tested in beta?

AHmedia

25 Sep 2019

Well, looks like the license server is running again. Just authorized this PC for offline and tried loading the VST Rack. Same error and crash. Again, only in offline mode.
Reason error.jpg
Reason error.jpg (105.46 KiB) Viewed 3944 times

Loque

25 Sep 2019

AHmedia wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Well, looks like the license server is running again. Just authorized this PC for offline and tried loading the VST Rack. Same error and crash. Again, only in offline mode.
Reason error.jpg
This makes it pretty easy to identify the code for license checks 😏

And looks like a programming error. Wondering that such simple things were not detected in test and beta phase...
Reason12, Win10

boingy

26 Sep 2019

AHmedia wrote:
25 Sep 2019
I don't wanna jump the gun here, but isn't this kinda stuff supposed to be tested in beta?
We couldn't test that kinda stuff in Beta because the Beta was online auth only. Mind you, much of the stuff I did report in Beta was not fixed but that's perhaps a different thread.

itmuckel

26 Sep 2019

I've got the same error. Reason 11 is authorized and it shows up online/offline, doesn't matter. Any ideas how to fix it?

EDIT:
Haha, when I deauthorize my computer and login with my account when reason 11 starts up, it says that I'm not authorized to use reason 11.

Popey
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2019

I fully intended to buy 11 yesterday for use in studio one but got held up at work. Looking at the issues above I may have avoided a bullet. Hope they get this fixed soon

itmuckel

26 Sep 2019

I wanted to wait too, but I saw a video on youtube where one guy used Reason 11 in Studio One 4.5, so I concluded it was safe to buy. Well... :lol:

itmuckel

26 Sep 2019

Same thing in REAPER, so it doesn't seem to be Studio One related.

AHmedia

26 Sep 2019

This is kind of a big deal really and needs to be fixed. I honestly can't believe how something like this would slip by and into release. I mean, lol ....it's kinda the "thing" they're trying to sell at the moment and it's not just bugged, but completely broken lol

...talk about a "game changer"

/rant off

The_G

26 Sep 2019

This is a dealbreaker for me - I work offline about 20% of the time, so online only plugins are a no go. Won't upgrade until it's fixed.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

future-bit

26 Sep 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 2 times in total.

itmuckel

26 Sep 2019

Still doesn't work for me. I cannot even contact support. What a shame. I only bought it for the VST rack.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

26 Sep 2019

Thanks for the report! We're looking into this right now. If it's serious and widespread I'd wager we'll release a quick fix patch.

future-bit

26 Sep 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

itmuckel

26 Sep 2019

I had the same thought and even installed the latest redistributable for x64. I don't want to install all Visual C++ versions out there (I already have a lot of them^^). I'll just wait for the props to help me. :)
Attachments
redist.jpg
redist.jpg (299.54 KiB) Viewed 3548 times

AHmedia

26 Sep 2019

I just received an email from Reason Studios Product Support

The fix is actually quite simple: hit the "Remove stored Password" Button in the plugin settings before going offline.

In other words, authorize the PC for offline use, stay connected to the internet for the first launch, then Remove the stored Password in the Plugin settings. After that, the computer can go offline and stay offline. Seems to work fine for me.

It's just not at all intuitive, but hey.
Reason Settings.jpg
Reason Settings.jpg (393.85 KiB) Viewed 3511 times

itmuckel

26 Sep 2019

Great it worked for you! I still have to wait for a solution. :)

VIVIsect

26 Sep 2019

I'm getting the same error in Ableton Live 10. I'm gonna guess that it is a pretty widespread problem.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (65.02 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

VIVIsect

26 Sep 2019

AHmedia wrote:
26 Sep 2019
I just received an email from Reason Studios Product Support

The fix is actually quite simple: hit the "Remove stored Password" Button in the plugin settings before going offline.

In other words, authorize the PC for offline use, stay connected to the internet for the first launch, then Remove the stored Password in the Plugin settings. After that, the computer can go offline and stay offline. Seems to work fine for me.
Ah, just tried this and it worked for me as well. So weird. Logged into my RS account and removed authorization from my computer. Launched the rack in Live with online authorization, and I didn't receive the error. Clicked "Remove stored Password," logged back into my RS account and reauthorized my computer. All seems to be working fine now.

crgperry

27 Sep 2019

I was having same crash issue Ableton 10.11 on Mac OSX 10.13.6. "Remove stored password" as described by AH media sorted it for me.

itmuckel

28 Sep 2019

Still no message from support, but I finally solved my issue! I'm not sure which step solved it, but for anyone who also gets the message that you're not authorized to use Reason 11, when using your credentials, do this:

Uninstall Reason, Codemeter and Authorizer.
Delete the "C:\Programs\Propellerhead" folder.
In "C:\Users\<you>\AppData\" (hidden folder) delete ".\Local\Propellerhead Software\" and ".\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\". <-- I assume this is important. This will remove the downloaded Rack Extensions.

I also removed all keys stored under "{HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER}\Software\Propellerhead Software" from the Registry, but I don't think that this is necessary.

Then just install Reason 11 and everything will work fine. You still have to remove the stored password in the rack VST for offline use, I think to avoid the error above.

Have fun! :-)

• Information