How do you sample streaming audio? Ex. Netflix

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KickbackCouture

25 Nov 2019

Hey everyone, I have a method that uses Loopback in order to sample streaming audio into Reason. Does anyone know another way that’s more cost effective? Does Soundflower still work for the new Mac OS?

diminished
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2019

I plug one of my hardware audio outputs into back into my inputs, with a cable.. :) Involves another DA/AD conversion but it works just fine.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

joeyluck

25 Nov 2019

KickbackCouture wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Hey everyone, I have a method that uses Loopback in order to sample streaming audio into Reason. Does anyone know another way that’s more cost effective? Does Soundflower still work for the new Mac OS?
Soundflower still works for me.

Another option called Blackhole was released recently.

Exowildebeest

25 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
25 Nov 2019
I plug one of my hardware audio outputs into back into my inputs, with a cable.. :) Involves another DA/AD conversion but it works just fine.
Yep, this is a reliable method for realtime sampling that doesn't involve fucking around with software loopbacks, and it magically ignores any DRM nonsense there might be.

I use the optical in and out on my interface, bought the shortest cable I could find and always have it plugged in.

Oquasec

25 Nov 2019

This is a good idea for reason users before 9 for vsts.
If it like routes minihost modular audio to the sampling input of reason 8 and below that's gonna be helping a lot of people
Windows [Voicemeter]
Mac [Soundflower]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Proboscis

25 Nov 2019

So mods are allowing this to be posted, despite the copyright infringement nature of the topic ? Even the video title itself is intended to give advice on how to STEAL audio.

joeyluck

25 Nov 2019

Proboscis wrote:
25 Nov 2019
So mods are allowing this to be posted, despite the copyright infringement nature of the topic ? Even the video title itself is intended to give advice on how to STEAL audio.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. I haven't watched the video, but was only responding in terms of Soundflower and similar options for internal audio routing.

Sampling has always been a thing. From radio and records to now online media. It really comes down to the sharing and distribution of derived works after the fact. Rather harmless if you want to just have fun remixing songs and chopping things up for your own enjoyment. But sharing a derived work without permission, that's when it is really a problem.

That said, if the video itself above shows capture of a song in which the content creator doesn't have permission to use, then that certainly could be a problem. And yes, the clickbait word "steal" in the video title isn't helpful. "Record" or "sample" would've been better...

Proboscis

25 Nov 2019

joeyluck wrote:
25 Nov 2019
I guess it depends on how you look at it.
From the word 'steal' appearing in in the thumbnail, and again in the title ? Or that it's about sampling streams, and the thumbnail shows Hulu & Netflix ?
joeyluck wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Sampling has always been a thing. From radio and records to now online media. It really comes down to the sharing and distribution of derived works after the fact.
Sure, and my comment is not some anti-piracy crusade. I sometimes chop samples from other works to include in my own music. But 'always a thing' does not give precedent that it isn't copyright infringement.

Radio stations in many countries are entering into royalty agreements with Musician Copyright Associations. They are not simply lifting material from 'wherever' and broadcasting it.

Everything on Netflix is the work of others. And I dare say every last minute of streamed content is the property of Netflix, who have paid for the rights to stream via their portal (the very portal that this video promotes for a method of stealing that content)
joeyluck wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Rather harmless if you want to just have fun remixing songs and chopping things up for your own enjoyment.
Can the same be applied for cracked VST then ? Does the size of the business we might steal from, dictate how we interpret copyright infringement or EULA's ? Or the nature of the property ?

selig
RE Developer

25 Nov 2019

I've found that with my Focusrite interface, the computer audio (whatever is playing) comes into Reason inputs 5/6 automatically, which makes stuff like this (or just looking at the spectrum of another mix, etc) super easy. Should be possible with other interfaces as well, worth checking.

With this setup the only warning is not to create a feedback loop, so I usually pull down the master fader to be absolutely sure I don't accidentally blast myself with feedback (actually did it on purpose once, sampled it to create an awesome effect!).
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

25 Nov 2019

Audio loopback (it's baked in to my RME Babyface Pro, thankfully). Sample away - it's the whole point of samplers - movies, TV shows, other people's music - shit you find in the backyard - sample it all. Don't listen to anyone telling you it's "pirating". ** Art demands no boundaries. Don't limit yourself.

** Unless you plan to sell it... :D :lol: Then you should contact the copyright holder and license it, unless you're willing to risk a massive lawsuit.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pongasoft
RE Developer

26 Nov 2019

I have used Audio Hijack which is quite nice and powerful... https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/ It is not free (there is a free demo though) but for the price it is well worth it...

Here is an example setup:

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 05.36.50.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 05.36.50.png (46.96 KiB) Viewed 2430 times

Will record everything coming from Google Chrome into a wav file and also output it on the sound card...

Yan

EnochLight

26 Nov 2019

pongasoft wrote:
26 Nov 2019
I have used Audio Hijack which is quite nice and powerful... https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/ It is not free (there is a free demo though) but for the price it is well worth it...

Here is an example setup:

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 05.36.50.png

Will record everything coming from Google Chrome into a wav file and also output it on the sound card...

Yan
I love the simplicity and visual routing of Audio Hijack, but alas - it does not work on Windows. It's MacOS only, which is a travesty. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Skimrok

26 Nov 2019

is this the young lady on some Reason youtube tutorials? I just want to say thanks for your videos because some have helped me :thumbs_up: :reason:

if not i get my coat :lol:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

• Information