FL STUDIO stock sounds vs Reason Stock Sounds

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

02 May 2020

I need an answer from experience ppl here in both FL studio and Reason

i like a lot the FL studio stock sounds......are those existings in Reason as well?

they sound very clean...hard hitting....regarding drums, synths and effects etc

also regarding effects

is it as easy to find a good sweep sound in Reason as it is in FL studio?

Oquasec

04 May 2020

I don't really compare em much cuz they aren't comparable. It depends on the user.
The plugins are also laid out differently, & do not share the same controls unless they are in the same category such as FM/wavetable/subtractive etc :]
---
You will get the result you want from either.
(In my situation, I am missing a lot of built in FL plugs in sig & do not use most of them in any songs as a result)
This might be different for you however, since if FL is your main you have access to all the stock plugs then!
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

simonphinix1986

04 May 2020

After 5 years using FL Studio I am switching now over to Reason again. I started making music with Propellerhead Reason 7 back in 2013. 2015 I switched over to FL Studio because it was so famous and almost every tutorial on Youtube was with FL Studio. Now I am switching to Reason Studios 11. The Sounds in Reason are more organic and my results are better. But in Reason 11 (Intro, Lite and Full Version) you have the possibility to use reason as a VST in FL Studio. Maybe that helps.

Ulpu

04 May 2020

I think when comparing factory presets without any effects + tweaking = FL takes win here. Well Europa in Reason is very amazing even without extra effects.

BUT! If you tweak Subtractor, Malström, Thor + add some effects = very very nice sounds!
And naturally you can combine them into combinator.

What I love in Reason, is the undo function. FL has some parts you just can't undo.

aeox
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

samsome wrote:
02 May 2020
I need an answer from experience ppl here in both FL studio and Reason

i like a lot the FL studio stock sounds......are those existings in Reason as well?

they sound very clean...hard hitting....regarding drums, synths and effects etc

also regarding effects

is it as easy to find a good sweep sound in Reason as it is in FL studio?

I moved from FL studio to Reason in 2017. The transition was a reality check for me since there was no VST back then. Also no more super loud fl studio stock samples or Maximus on the master by default making everything LOUD.

I had to start learning how to sound design and mix to get the sounds I was looking for. Looking back, the switch to reason was the best thing i've done so far in my music endeavors.

These clean, hard hitting drums and synths you speak of are very achievable with stock devices, with a little effort of course! :thumbs_up: It's just that their stock sounds aren't really geared towards super loud edm productions IMO.

I'm putting together a collection of synth kick and snare combinators and going to see if I can get them in the stock library for Reason because I agree, it needs better stuff for people who can't be bothered with sound design etc.

Oquasec

05 May 2020

Why not use both?
You can use reason anywhere as a plugin.
Producer/Programmer.

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

Oquasec wrote:
05 May 2020
Why not use both?
You can also use FL as a plugin ...

Oquasec

05 May 2020

avasopht wrote:
05 May 2020
Oquasec wrote:
05 May 2020
Why not use both?
You can also use FL as a plugin ...
Sure, if you are only planning to learn one daw.
Producer/Programmer.

DaveyG

05 May 2020

The weird thing about FL Studio as a plugin is that it is the whole DAW, sequencer and everything inside a plugin inside a DAW!
RS took the view that the Reason Plugin just needs to be the rack rather than the sequencer and mixer too, which makes sense but means that you can't open existing Reason songs with the plugin (or load any VSTs into it). Not sure which approach is best, probably Reasons, except for excluding VSTs.

kitekrazy

05 May 2020

Isn't this an apples vs oranges since there is more than one version of FL? Image Line spends more time improving their DAW than working on creating plugins. The Producer Edition is $299 and then everything is $899. What a large gap.
Reason's bundled sounds have always been to superior to any DAW because it was a proprietary work environment.

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

kitekrazy wrote:
05 May 2020
Reason's bundled sounds have always been to superior to any DAW because it was a proprietary work environment.
Well, there was lots of commissioned / curated sounds from eLabs, plus the more recent commissioned / curated drum and loop sounds ...

Plus it helps that it's got a bunch of built in synths like Maelstrom to layer and add texture and body to a sound. Plus the routing options and effects.

kitekrazy

06 May 2020

avasopht wrote:
05 May 2020
kitekrazy wrote:
05 May 2020
Well, there was lots of commissioned / curated sounds from eLabs, plus the more recent commissioned / curated drum and loop sounds ...

Plus it helps that it's got a bunch of built in synths like Maelstrom to layer and add texture and body to a sound. Plus the routing options and effects.
I was referring to the built in instruments. I think Reason Intro is a killer for $99. It's almost like having Reason 4.

Oquasec

06 May 2020

Protools and reason are proprietary tools that use their own format.
If you need vst3 tho just get FLS
Producer/Programmer.

kuhliloach

06 May 2020

If we're talking about quality sounds the answer to this question is obviously GarageBand. But, you say, GarageBand isn't Reason or FL Studio?! I know. Some thoughts.. It doesn't matter how great sounds are if, after ten minutes, you close the software because you couldn't find what you were looking for. And regarding loud wet sounds versus dryer softer tones, you can always enhance a signal but not always remove from a signal what you don't want. Reason's sound bank is traditionally very dry so producers and sound designers can use them as a base point. Many modern producers are looking for wetter louder stock sounds and spend time shopping for "sample packs".

Oquasec

06 May 2020

If talking about strictly trying to achieve a "Polished" whatever in the field then you would just select the daws that work how you like and throw away the daws that don't do what you currently need to use for serious work.
Producer/Programmer.

Creativemind

08 May 2020

I've noticed the drums (or should I say, the kick drums) are very good in FL Studio straight out the box but I subsequently found out that there's a Resampling setting on by default in the Channel Settings that (in 1 particular kicks case) dramatically improved it. The same kick in Reason and Reaper had a glitchy hissy bit at the end of it.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information