Propellerhead balance

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Robinmon

04 May 2020

Hey not sure if I'm putting this in the right place but if I'm not u can move the post. :)

I just got myself a propellerhead balance for cheap and from what I've read online, it should work fine even doe its old. The issue I have is that it doesn't seem to have a gain knob which leads to my microphone barely being able to pick up any sound.
I would really appriciate a fix

I use the Blue bird mic.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 May 2020

Robinmon wrote:
04 May 2020
Hey not sure if I'm putting this in the right place but if I'm not u can move the post. :)

I just got myself a propellerhead balance for cheap and from what I've read online, it should work fine even doe its old. The issue I have is that it doesn't seem to have a gain knob which leads to my microphone barely being able to pick up any sound.

I use the Blue bird mic.

Does your mic have phantom power? There’s a button on the back side of Balance. +48v. Push that to on.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WarStar

04 May 2020

Yeah most likely phantom.. does the Balance work otherwise?

Robinmon

05 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
04 May 2020
Robinmon wrote:
04 May 2020

I use the Blue bird mic.

Does your mic have phantom power? There’s a button on the back side of Balance. +48v. Push that to on.
Its an older Bluebird it isnt the SL so it doesn't have any button on it.

What does the phantom power on the balance do? In new to this :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

Robinmon wrote:
05 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
04 May 2020

As far as i know the Bluebird mics need Phantom Power. There isn’t a button in the mic. Connect to mic to the mic input in Balance and press the +48v button which is beside the input. That powers your mic.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Robinmon

05 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2020
Robinmon wrote:
05 May 2020

As far as i know the Bluebird mics need Phantom Power. There isn’t a button in the mic. Connect to mic to the mic input in Balance and press the +48v button which is beside the input. That powers your mic.
aii thank you, do i need some kind of pre amp cuz the gain is really low?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

Robinmon wrote:
05 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2020

No. Press the mic button on Balance then turn up the input volume on Balance. Make sure Balance is selected as input device in Reason and that the Balance driver is selected.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

eusti

05 May 2020

Just in case:
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
er_photo_163828.jpg
er_photo_163828.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

eusti wrote:
05 May 2020
Just in case:
Thanks Eusti. I was out on a marsh in the middle of the forest when I was writing my previous replies and was trying to visualize balance in my head :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

eusti

05 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2020
eusti wrote:
05 May 2020
Just in case:
Thanks Eusti. I was out on a marsh in the middle of the forest when I was writing my previous replies and was trying to visualize balance in my head :).
You did a great job! Just wanted to add images for better understanding!

D.

Robinmon

05 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2020
Robinmon wrote:
05 May 2020

No. Press the mic button on Balance then turn up the input volume on Balance. Make sure Balance is selected as input device in Reason and that the Balance driver is selected.
Couldn't seem to find a balance driver for windows 10 so that could be an issue. Do I have to use reason because I really prefer using FL studio and logic pro. Thanks for all the help btw

eusti

05 May 2020

These seem to be the latest and last available drivers as Balance is officially no longer supported:

Windows 7 and 8 and older ones for XP and Vista.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -Downloads

D.

eusti

05 May 2020

Robinmon wrote:
05 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2020

Couldn't seem to find a balance driver for windows 10 so that could be an issue. Do I have to use reason because I really prefer using FL studio and logic pro. Thanks for all the help btw
No, you don't have to use Reason. I guess that was just assumed as this forum deals mainly with Reason users. There are no Windows 10 drivers. Balance is no longer supported by Propellerheads or Reason Studios.

D.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

The latest driver at the link Eusti posted works for me with no problems in Windows 10. Just download it and install it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Robinmon

05 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2020
The latest driver at the link Eusti posted works for me with no problems in Windows 10. Just download it and install it.
aight thanks, gain works no prob now.

Update the picth of my mic in audio software's (fl, logic, discord) is really low. Like the getting pitches down in windows or something, could it be the balance?

boggg1

05 May 2020

Some experts don't seem to like this button in their workflow but if you have everything else turned up externally and it is still too quiet then turn up the gain at the top of the channel strip (blue button as shown below). If your setup does not have enough gain , you need more gain !

There are also lots of REs which can increase gain, some free...
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /khs-gain/

Get the gain nearly right using one of the methods above then use the mixer slider to tweak it during mixing.
Attachments
Gain button.png
Gain button.png (5.05 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

Robinmon

05 May 2020

boggg1 wrote:
05 May 2020
Some experts don't seem to like this button in their workflow but if you have everything else turned up externally and it is still too quiet then turn up the gain at the top of the channel strip (blue button as shown below). If your setup does not have enough gain , you need more gain !

There are also lots of REs which can increase gain, some free...
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /khs-gain/

Get the gain nearly right using one of the methods above then use the mixer slider to tweak it during mixing.
Thanks, but gain isn't my problem anymore, for some reason either the Balance or windows pitches down my voice alot, it sounds like im using a voice changer. I don't use reason :)

• Information