Blue screen ugh

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
grueser3

09 Aug 2020

I’m hoping I can get some advice. I’m running reason 10 on a pc with I9 chip 32 gb ram etc with tons of power. But every so often it crashes, and been trying to narrow it down. Today I was transferring song to audio when half way through it crashed, did it once more same result. The song had 5 tracks and each track was an Arcade VST, Only 2 tracks though had anything in the sequencer so I deleted the empty 3 tracks and it transferred fine to audio. Not sure if it matters but I was rewriting over the last version of the song when creating the audio file. Any ideas??
Thanks in advance

pushedbutton

09 Aug 2020

It might be some dodgy RAM.
try it with 16Gb installed, if that works, or not, try the other 16Gb.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

grueser3

09 Aug 2020

Ok, worth a try, thanks pushedbutton!

Retake

10 Aug 2020

If you're comfortable with the BIOS and know how to select an alternate boot device, I recommend memtest86. You can put it onto a bootable USB thumb drive, or burn it to a CD. It runs standalone (does not require a hard drive), and it's something I run when I build a new PC before installing the OS.

Keep in mind, it's a slow test and could take a couple of hours. It will run it multiple times (configurable), so you can stop the test once it's done if you don't want to wait.
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Another possibility is a bad power supply, or not all the power connectors attached to the motherboard.

adfielding

10 Aug 2020

Mind if I ask what audio interface you're using? Outside of hardware issues, dodgy audio drivers have been the only other culprit for blue screens for me for the past decade or so.

Unfortunately blue screens tend to point to hardware issues - next time you get one it's definitely worth taking a picture of the screen with all of the blue screen text on it, as that can really help to identify what the root cause is. As Retake suggested, memtest86 is a good idea generally and will be able to identify if you're having RAM issues - though, as was the case for me many years ago, sometimes motherboard issues can manifest as memory issues. If it's not your RAM, then it could point to either your CPU or motherboard, both of which aren't exactly ideal scenarios.

Here's hoping it's just a driver issue!

grueser3

02 Sep 2020

Hi Adam and thanks, sorry it took so long to respond, I did do the memtest and it passed ok. After that I contacted the builder who has been very accommodating, he brought it down to 4.5 instead of over clocking at 5. And am testing it now, so far no issues but I don’t use it everyday so it could be awhile.
I’m using an Audient ID 14 interface which he recommended and I know I took some screen shots in the past when I got the blue screen some of them were :

System thread exception not handled

System service exception

Kmode exception not handled

Attempted to write to read only memory
What failed: CI.DII

Any other insight?
Thanks
Mark

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2020

This wouldn’t cause a blue screen but what file type where you exporting to? Because on Mac I notice reason throws an error when trying to export an mp3 with the same file name as an existing file.

grueser3

02 Sep 2020

Hi Steedus If I try to export to a file with the same name it just asks if I want to replace the old file.

EnochLight

02 Sep 2020

grueser3 wrote:
02 Sep 2020
I contacted the builder who has been very accommodating, he brought it down to 4.5 instead of over clocking at 5. And am testing it now, so far no issues
Ah, so user error? Yes, overclocking your computer will often cause issues. Glad to see you got things sorted.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

EnochLight wrote:
02 Sep 2020
grueser3 wrote:
02 Sep 2020
I contacted the builder who has been very accommodating, he brought it down to 4.5 instead of over clocking at 5. And am testing it now, so far no issues
Ah, so user error? Yes, overclocking your computer will often cause issues. Glad to see you got things sorted.
Not necessarily user error - you can buy computers overclocked (as you know) and if you are contacting the builder to dial it down it is probably the builder who set it that high.

I'm just bitter and twisted as my pc is back at the suppliers as it suddenly wouldn't work at all after just seven months - not impressed 😒.

Grum.

grueser3

03 Sep 2020

Grumbleweed wrote:
03 Sep 2020
EnochLight wrote:
02 Sep 2020

Not necessarily user error - you can buy computers overclocked (as you know) and if you are contacting the builder to dial it down it is probably the builder who set it that high.

I'm just bitter and twisted as my pc is back at the suppliers as it suddenly wouldn't work at all after just seven months - not impressed 😒.

Grum.
Hi Grum,
Yeah mine was set up that way when I got it, anyways we’ll see if that solves the issue

EnochLight

03 Sep 2020

grueser3 wrote:
03 Sep 2020
Yeah mine was set up that way when I got it, anyways we’ll see if that solves the issue
Oh, I thought you said it did solve your issue? My bad! :o Hopefully it does solve it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

grueser3

05 Sep 2020

EnochLight wrote:
03 Sep 2020
grueser3 wrote:
03 Sep 2020
Oh, I thought you said it did solve your issue? My bad! :o Hopefully it does solve it.
No problem, I do too👍

• Information