Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
esselfortium

27 Jan 2021

helmutson wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Another very bitter pill : All A-List Players are gone ... I spend so much money for them and now they are gone... vaporized . I use them alot. Whats happen when I wanna migrate to a new computer ? Can't install them again, right ? Same sh.. as with the Line6 RE's back in the days ... really guys, what are you doin' here ? This is unbelievable ...
You can install them again. It's the same as with the Cakewalk RE-2A and any other REs that have stopped being sold. (The RE-2A followed me to my current computer, and is still my most-used compressor!)
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

miscend

27 Jan 2021

anDre wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I really don't get the point with the new users. If Reason is not attracting enough new users, how should a subscription model change that? It's not that killer feature everyone has been waiting for to jump on the Reason train.

If a software doesn't attract new users, then it neither will just because it now has a subscription model.

Btw no Redrum bugfix in 11.3.8 and so far not even an answer to the bug report.
Man, they have completely lost their focus.
In the same way other subscription services attract new users. People subscribe to Tidal, Apple Music, Spotify, Adobe and Netflix because they are super cheap entry costs. But it's actually cheaper in the long term to buy dvd boxsets or CDs rather than to keep on subscribing for years on these services and not own anything at the end of it.

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Sounds like they've spent the last year / year and a half convincing them selves that subscription service is the way forward to get new money only in the real world we've all spent the last year getting locked down and less money.

The user base might increase to some extent but I'm guessing the stream will not be as consistent when the novelty of packs wears off and missing features start being talked about by new users especially when they are just going to click cancel and wait till it happens.

I'm very disappointed with this update, I do think the companion add on could be a good thing but there are better ways of doing it.

Setting up a rent to own system for the daw would be handy, especially if you can pause payments like splice but still own it outright once completed.

And a content companion that has various subscription levels would definitely be nice.

But handing over £20 a month and owning nothing at the end is just wrong.
Agreed. I can get hot-headed easily about why this makes me unhappy from a trust standpoint but I think subscribing and not owning is definitely the thing that cheeses people the most.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

obscured08 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on this yet on the FAQ...

I am a current Reason 11 license owner. If I subscribe to Reason+ and receive a version update, say the Reason 12 update, but have to cancel my subscription at a later date, will my investment dollars into Reason+ allow me to continue using Reason 12, or do I revert to my last purchased Reason 11 perpetual licenses? Thanks!
Once your subscription is cancelled you can only use the version 11 you own, and the dollars will be wasted.

helmutson

27 Jan 2021

esselfortium wrote:
27 Jan 2021
helmutson wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Another very bitter pill : All A-List Players are gone ... I spend so much money for them and now they are gone... vaporized . I use them alot. Whats happen when I wanna migrate to a new computer ? Can't install them again, right ? Same sh.. as with the Line6 RE's back in the days ... really guys, what are you doin' here ? This is unbelievable ...
You can install them again. It's the same as with the Cakewalk RE-2A and any other REs that have stopped being sold. (The RE-2A followed me to my current computer, and is still my most-used compressor!)
I hope you're right . The Line6 devices are gone forever ... that's all very frustrating

aftrshok99

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
But handing over £20 a month and owning nothing at the end is just wrong.
Ignoring the fact that current Reason owners get it for 50% off (£10 a month) for the first year, even at the regular price that's $240 USD / £240 a year for Reason. This is like buying a $129 "upgrade" and one or two new RE's (or plugins) each year.

Assuming a subscription model increases the frequency that we get new features added (and R+ will get them first), actually the economics work out better. You could sub for 1 year, or even 2 - and then cancel if you're not making music or life takes you elsewhere. A few years down the line you decide to start making music again, and you subscribe - and instantly get access to everything (including all updates since the last time you subscribed, as well as all new RE's that RS released since then).

I guess if you're the sort of user that never buys plugins, never buys sound pack content, and rarely upgrades to the new version of Reason, then I can certainly see that it likely will hold little value to you. But if you are the sort of user that does even one of those things regularly, then the subscription being offered may actually save you money.

#not_a_corporate_apologist_but_just_thinking_things_through
^^^^This is how I look at it but clearly most people on this site don't.
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

honeyBadger

27 Jan 2021

graeme75 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Algoritm - has everyone noticed this
Probably the new FM synth? carriers,modulators,algorithms

moneykube

27 Jan 2021

once again... since ignition key is no longer supported I ask these questions.. I have reason 11 suite authorized on my main computer... and reason 10 authorized with ignition key on my portable computer... does this mean my second authorized computer with literally most of the racks you have sold will no longer function with ignition key?
I sincerely hope this is not the case!
I paid for the use on two computers !
I own a separate reason 9 licence as well !
invested heavily on countless racks for both computers
Last edited by moneykube on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

tt_lab

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021

The user base might increase to some extent but I'm guessing the stream will not be as consistent when the novelty of packs wears off and missing features start being talked about by new users especially when they are just going to click cancel and wait till it happens.
I guess not if their new users are RRP users and don't mind about Reason as a daw but more as a plugin with new sounds and toys every now and then. Then subscription might appeal them. I'm not operations expert but I think this has been in the board before RRP and that the latter was the first move in this direction.

PhillipOrdonez

27 Jan 2021

I can't possibly read the entire thread. But FFS that is a huge amount of energy spent on a feature that isn't for most of us.

It is for newbies. It is for hobbyists and for new users only.

It isn't for long time Reason users or for professionals. We like not having to pay forever to be able to use our tools, that's too expensive especially if they don't do cash backs to at least own something after thousands upon thousands (lol 😂 imagine a professional spending many times over the price of a tool 😂 that's not business friendly or smart at all 😂)

People jumping ship or threatening to do so: good riddance, I guess? You're drama queens though 😂

Looking forward to the next Reason upgrade at 129 USD. In the mean time, wishing good luck to Reason Studios with their new + thingy.

Subscriptions are dumb.

🕺

cymek74

27 Jan 2021

Apologies if this has been covered already, I can't be arsed to read the full 32 pages. I swear I wouldn't give a damn about this subscription malarky as long as I can keep my license intact and have the opportunity to upgrade it to 12 or whatever when it comes along if I think it warrants the upgrade price, BUT............. what I am pissed at is the fact that VST3, VST MIDI IN/OUT, Trackfolders and sequencer improvements haven't been addressed first! I think a lot of the negativity wouldn't exist, but these pretty standard things are still to be implemented, while there has been a wealth of change in areas that nobody asked for or seemed to show any interest in, granted I do really like RRP.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

esselfortium

27 Jan 2021

helmutson wrote:
27 Jan 2021
esselfortium wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I hope you're right . The Line6 devices are gone forever ... that's all very frustrating
The Line6 devices weren't REs. There has never been a case of an RE disappearing from users who already bought it.

In another thread you also mentioned Synchronous leaving the shop, but Synchronous has been a built-in device for several years now.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

stp2015

27 Jan 2021

Good thing about a subscription model is that it gets incentives right. People will just unsubscribe if they get disappointed, so Props will have some extra motivation to keep them addicted.

The price seems hight to me, though. I will probably buy the high-res upgrade coming later this year (which we now know will not be a free point upgrade), and then focus more on Ableton with RRP. Will still buy great Rack Extensions when they come out.

aftrshok99

27 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Good thing about a subscription model is that it gets incentives right. People will just unsubscribe if they get disappointed, so Props will have some extra motivation to keep them addicted.

The price seems hight to me, though. I will probably buy the high-res upgrade coming later this year (which we now know will not be a free point upgrade), and then focus more on Ableton with RRP. Will still buy great Rack Extensions when they come out.
$14.99 feels like it would be a better price...LOL
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Indeed! Good thing the paid upgrade isn't going away. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pushedbutton

27 Jan 2021

Well it's certainly got us talking. I've never seen the concurrent users list so full! :)
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

helmutson wrote:
27 Jan 2021

PS : PM7, Syncronous and more are gone too
Please do not double post or ask the same questions. I asked you here, what do you mean?
viewtopic.php?p=537527#p537527
Reason12, Win10

exxx

27 Jan 2021

Everyone says it's good, so the company doesn't feel the need for an update

Because people in the company care about this.

daw update slows down...

ShelLuser

27 Jan 2021

helmutson wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Another very bitter pill : All A-List Players are gone ... I spend so much money for them and now they are gone... vaporized . I use them alot. Whats happen when I wanna migrate to a new computer ?
What do you mean 'gone'? Gone from the store or from your computer? It's true that they were discontinued but they weren't "just" removed from users RE collections (I just checked mine to be sure). Also... they're not really 'gone' either, the original developer (UJAM) took control over them and they've been "replaced" by their originals (virtual drummer, virtual bassist, etc.), see this link:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... pment+GmbH
helmutson wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Can't install them again, right ? Same sh.. as with the Line6 RE's back in the days ... really guys, what are you doin' here ? This is unbelievable ...
As far as I know you will be able to install any RE you bought on a new computer. Being discontinued doesn't imply that they've also become unavailable.
helmutson wrote:
27 Jan 2021
PS : PM7, Syncronous and more are gone too
If you're referring to your own RE collection then I think you should contact RS support over this, because these RE's still exist.

I won't go into too much detail here because it's kinda offtopic (I also won't be commenting on it here anymore, but if you're having issues you may want to consider a post in Reason General) but... Apart from contacting support you could try to go to your products list (link) and then click "Sync all". This should synchronise your purchased rack extensions as they are known by RS with the situation on your PC.

There you can also see that my earlier assumption was correct: although the A-List series was discontinued they're still available for download in your products list. It's no longer an assumption but a fact, because that's what I'm looking at right now ;)

Hope this can still help you out a bit. Those RE's shouldn't be gone, if they are: contact support, it's not a normal situation.

(edit)
moneykube wrote:
27 Jan 2021
once again... since ignition key is no longer supported I ask these questions..
The ignition key is still being supported, nothing really changed there. I know because I have one and the website still recognized it and its licences.
moneykube wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I have reason 11 suite authorized on my main computer... and reason 10 authorized with ignition key on my portable computer... does this mean my second authorized computer with literally most of the racks you have sold will no longer function with ignition key?
Their licensing scheme never changed, so things will continue working as they always did. What basically happened is that they added a subscription model next to their existing perpetual licenses.
Last edited by ShelLuser on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
--- :reason:

moneykube

27 Jan 2021

for the 3rd time I ask... since ignition key is no longer supported I ask these questions.. I have reason 11 suite authorized on my main computer... and reason 9 and 10 authorized with ignition key on my portable computer... does this mean my second authorized computer with literally most of the racks you have sold will no longer function with ignition key?
I own a separate reason 9 licence as well !... beyond owning a separate 10/11 licence.
I invested heavily on countless racks for both computers ... will my portable studio still function... yes or no?
Last edited by moneykube on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

tt_lab

27 Jan 2021

moneykube wrote:
27 Jan 2021
for the 3rd time I ask... since ignition key is no longer supported I ask these questions.. I have reason 11 suite authorized on my main computer... and reason 10 authorized with ignition key on my portable computer... does this mean my second authorized computer with literally most of the racks you have sold will no longer function with ignition key?
I own a separate reason 9 licence as well !... beyond owning a separate 10/11 licence.
I invested heavily on countless racks for both computers ... will my portable studio still function... yes or no?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7521493#top
I think this is what you are asking about...or maybe not

exxx

27 Jan 2021

Abandoning loyal customers
throw away the balance
throw away the suite

Would it be updated if I did the subscription model?

It will only take time, adding useless sound packs.

Deep Schulzz

27 Jan 2021

moneykube wrote:
27 Jan 2021
for the 3rd time I ask... since ignition key is no longer supported I ask these questions.. I have reason 11 suite authorized on my main computer... and reason 9 and 10 authorized with ignition key on my portable computer... does this mean my second authorized computer with literally most of the racks you have sold will no longer function with ignition key?
The ignition key is still working.

hfw

27 Jan 2021

You guys are talking about easy to get started, hassle free always up to date, like we are morons looking for quick fixes. It’s a race to the bottom. It really represents everything wrong with the audio tech scene. Your turning it into an entertainment service just like Netflix etc. Why would I want new instruments etc all the time? You are pushing a horrible model that most regular users are against.

No ones mentioned the fact that you literally built a marketing charade into your update too. You knew it would stir commotion, then the live webcast “oh you guys found us out, we better do a live stream!”, like the head guys didn’t have to block out that time in there Callander. Just shit patter in general.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
27 Jan 2021
moneykube wrote:
27 Jan 2021
The ignition key is still working.
Mac big sur is the only os that they have removed support from. For now ;)

• Information