Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
Ermitage

27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I mean, the pitchforks and overreactions are (of course) ridiculous, but the flip side is that their last couple of announcements/rollouts have been terrible, and frankly, it’s on RS for how confused and concerned people are.
Not when it comes to the Suite "issue", though. I still cannot see what made people assume that it was anything other than a bundle-deal.

stp2015

27 Jan 2021

rcbuse wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Things did not go over as planned...

ReasonPlusFine.jpg
LOLOL

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
27 Jan 2021
earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021

IMO This is the price companies have to pay when they want to do live streams. Either start listening to the unrest or it will just get worst. Heck look at me, I never comment on here because of all the Reason protectionism that goes on here. But I feel the same concern as others because it shows the long term path goes against the ethos of the brand (at least how some of us interpret it).

I noticed that most people seem to like free speech as long as they can dictate what we say. We wouldn't be complaining if we were happy. at least I would think! haah
I love free speech! I just hate noise and shouting and like 60 consecutive posts of thumbs down or copy pasting the SAME comment like an entitled baby screaming for direct acknowledgment in the video, all of which just makes the conversation toxic and sour and unproductive. RS absolutely need to hear what people want. Kinda hard to see what that is when a small handful of users are literally just spamming the chat with nonsense.
I'll second that thought BUT, that's how civil disobedience worked when it came to other forms of more dire protesting in this world. So I still stand by my comment that this is a necessary evil. I know it is rather in bad taste to compare but I think the metaphor makes sense. The louder and more annoying unhappy customers are, the more likely they listen. LOL

Heck I'd say VST introduction came from us always whining. hehehe

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I mean, the pitchforks and overreactions are (of course) ridiculous, but the flip side is that their last couple of announcements/rollouts have been terrible, and frankly, it’s on RS for how confused and concerned people are.
Exactly this too. It's a marketing blunder and tone deaf. Which is weird.... for musicians!!! hahah

They are also now trying to reassure, so the complaints go a long way.

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Why are you still arguing against a point I never made? Easy to win an argument if you decide what your opponent's position is! hahahah
Your "point" that set this all off was you claiming Mattias "hinted" there would no longer be paid upgrades. That turned out to be false.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

27 Jan 2021

earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
chimp_spanner wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I love free speech! I just hate noise and shouting and like 60 consecutive posts of thumbs down or copy pasting the SAME comment like an entitled baby screaming for direct acknowledgment in the video, all of which just makes the conversation toxic and sour and unproductive. RS absolutely need to hear what people want. Kinda hard to see what that is when a small handful of users are literally just spamming the chat with nonsense.
I'll second that thought BUT, that's how civil disobedience worked when it came to other forms of more dire protesting in this world. So I still stand by my comment that this is a necessary evil. I know it is rather in bad taste to compare but I think the metaphor makes sense. The louder and more annoying unhappy customers are, the more likely they listen. LOL

I think that’s a really astute comparison...the electronic equivalent of a protest. I was of the same mind as Chimp Spanner, but I think you’ve changed my perspective. 👍🏼
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

plaamook

27 Jan 2021

Philup wrote:
27 Jan 2021
It would seem that I get automatically rolled back to V11 and locked out of everything I created until I re-sub or pay for the upgrade.

In this case, I would frame the Reason+ offering more like an extend paid demo for those who use Reason as their primary DAW.
They've always offered upgrade from any version. It's only a problem if they change that.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

MaMue

27 Jan 2021

WE DONT NEED MORE SOUNDS, DEVICES AND SAMPLES - WE NEED BETTER DAW FUNCTIONALITY!!!!
WE DONT NEED MORE SOUNDS, DEVICES AND SAMPLES - WE NEED BETTER DAW FUNCTIONALITY!!!!

ShelLuser

27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
3. The cancel anytime refers to that you can cancel your subscription anytime, once you go beyond the trial!
Wait a second.... You can cancel anytime once you go beyond the trial? So not before?

You make it sound as if people can't cancel their subscription during the trial period, only after that. But doesn't that imply that you also have to do a monthly payment? Because that's what happens after your trial period, right? Then your real subscription period starts.

So people who try Reason get billed after 1 month, but can then use the product for another month?

I really hope this is a major typo and/or misunderstanding going on here, because otherwise I really don't see your userbase going up at all anymore. People would feel seriously ripped off if you charge them for trialing Reason.
--- :reason:

stp2015

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
stp2015 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Why are you still arguing against a point I never made? Easy to win an argument if you decide what your opponent's position is! hahahah
Your "point" that set this all off was you claiming Mattias "hinted" there would no longer be paid upgrades. That turned out to be false.
My point was that he hinted that he cannot rule it out. I never claimed it is what was GOING to happen.

A different question: Can I mute a user? Ideally also a specific mod?

chimp_spanner

27 Jan 2021

earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
chimp_spanner wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Hey now if we're talking social issues...FETCH ME MY MOLOTOV! :lol:

plaamook

27 Jan 2021

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Jan 2021
jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
3. The cancel anytime refers to that you can cancel your subscription anytime, once you go beyond the trial!
Wait a second.... You can cancel anytime once you go beyond the trial? So not before?

You make it sound as if people can't cancel their subscription during the trial period, only after that. But doesn't that imply that you also have to do a monthly payment? Because that's what happens after your trial period, right? Then your real subscription period starts.

So people who try Reason get billed after 1 month, but can then use the product for another month?

I really hope this is a major typo and/or misunderstanding going on here, because otherwise I really don't see your userbase going up at all anymore. People would feel seriously ripped off if you charge them for trialing Reason.
Prob it's that if you cancel a day into your trial the trial license still runs down, so technically it'll cancel itself after the trial. Lots of trials are like that, that I've seen.

Or here.

Magnus101

27 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
bangaio wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I just checked their site too. All I can say is despite getting back on reason after a break as a user since v1 I am out. I love the software but not £20 a month for some sounds. It’s safe to say the company and product I knew is finally gone. Even with 50% in the first year it’s just too much and something I don’t want to pay. I see they are still selling reason standard at £309 though which is tricky to find from their home page which is interesting. I also see rent to own stil exists too.
Sorry if it's unclear from the site, but it's definitely not $20 for some sounds. It's $20 for an always up to date Reason, all Reason Studios devices we've released and will release, and several sound packs per week. Now of course if you already own Reason 11 and a bunch of REs, this is less interesting but I just want to avoid confusion on what's in Reason+ :)

Here's a blog post with some details: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/intr ... eason-plus
And one I wrote with some more Reason focus: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/what ... for-reason

Hopefully that answers any questions! But for the avoidance of doubt, you can still buy a "traditional" Reason license and we're working on an upgrade that you'll also be able to upgrade to. That'll all be included in Reason+ too, of course, so it's totally up to you.
This is still confusing.
The "Reason+ subscribers gain immediate access upon release." that is said in the blog post.
Does this mean that we full paying owners of a Reason license will get updates later than the cheap subscription users?
I mean that is more or less you setting up an artificial delay for people who don't subscribe.
If so, I think that is extremely pathetic.
I get it that you will have a subscription model for what was Reason suite with new RE and soundpacks.
But why punishing us full paying users with having a delay on the updates?

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
27 Jan 2021
selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021

It's basically the same 3-4 folks copy/paste posting "dislike dislike dislike" over and over again…
If you look at the dislike button on the Reason+ video the dislikes are ahead by a ratio of almost 5:1 and the live stream video had much more dislikes over likes too, so it's not just a few people to my eyes.
The first guys were egging on the others - "everyone dislike", creating mob mentality with others piling on assuming there was a real reason to do so. The idea that there is now a subscription option in addition to the perpetual license and that is a BAD thing is just crazy talk IMO.
Like others have said, if they ditch the perpetual license option I'll be marching in the streets right along with everyone else. But that's not at all what is actually happening…
Selig Audio, LLC

Mistro17

27 Jan 2021

As long as I can still pay for upgrades as usual I'm good. This looks like one of those thing I can either ignore and continue doing what I'm doing with Reason or have the option to give it a try if I ever get curious (unlikely because I don't like subscriptions). It's like that extra sauce on the side you can try or not but it does not change the meal I enjoy. Good to know an update is coming soon. I understand some concerns but the level of outrage seems a bit extra from some users. If you enjoy Reason as is now, Nothing is being taken away from you.

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
27 Jan 2021
earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Hahah as long as we use words, anything goes. That's my opinion. They deserve the angst right now. This live stream is for children.

plaamook

27 Jan 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
27 Jan 2021

What, you keep em primed and ready in the cupboard?

Or here.

shropshirelad

27 Jan 2021

I don't mind the idea of a subscription model, but £240 a year... not a chance!

tanni

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
moneykube wrote:
27 Jan 2021

the new computer I bought this year has them ... so... that is untrue
Just because you bought one with a Type-A slot doesn't mean they all come with one. Additionally, as said before - Ignition Key hasn't shipped with Reason for years, and is no longer (officially) supported. ..so...
So, sorry, but I think you are wrong here EnochLight. MOSTLY PCs have USB today and will have because its upwards compatible from new USB versions. Thats simple a fact.
I have Reason for a long time and Im on Reason 11.2. So, for me its a problem not to have an ignition key in future, because my studio PC have no internet connection.
And the fact, that ignition key hasnt shipped last years when you are a new buyer, is not an excuse to cut off the old users who have bought it and use it in past and will use it in future. Thats a NO-GO in my eyes.

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021
MarkTarlton wrote:
27 Jan 2021

If you look at the dislike button on the Reason+ video the dislikes are ahead by a ratio of almost 5:1 and the live stream video had much more dislikes over likes too, so it's not just a few people to my eyes.
The first guys were egging on the others - "everyone dislike", creating mob mentality with others piling on assuming there was a real reason to do so. The idea that there is now a subscription option in addition to the perpetual license and that is a BAD thing is just crazy talk IMO.
Like others have said, if they ditch the perpetual license option I'll be marching in the streets right along with everyone else. But that's not at all what is actually happening…
Hearing you say that you would walk out if they go sub only, is reassurance enough tbh. :)

That said, we should not accept mandatory subs. Only reason they won't impose is because we are VERY vocal about potential backlash. Yes the chat flooders are annoying. But like I have replied to others, this is what you get when you don't listen to your fanbase. If people were happy, this wouldn't be an issue. They are showcasing samples on a live feedback. No one caress about that.

ShelLuser

27 Jan 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Man I really hope they have that WHOLE-ASS chat hidden. It's totally valid that people have concerns, and need reassurance that their perpetual licenses still mean something, etc. But that said...it's way outta hand in there. People are just jumping straight in and attacking what *they* think is happening. Rather than what's actually happening.
True, it's also why I quit watching. But... in all fairness it would have helped if the guys doing the live stream would have directly addressed some of the concerns instead of making it sound as if they're simply performing a one-way commercial. Because that's the impression I got: the downvotes pour in, the complaints poured in and the guys just kept talking about how awesome Reason+ is going to be and what a major impact it has on everyones lives.

Each to their own but they could have addressed the community a whole lot more, taking away concerns by directly addressing them instead of trying to make it look as if the whole thing is one big promotional video.

In all fairness though: I only watched a few minutes, didn't like what I saw and moved on. So I suppose it is possible that they actually did this after I already ran off. But even so... it doesn't change my impression of the whole thing.

ShelLuser

27 Jan 2021

plaamook wrote:
27 Jan 2021
ShelLuser wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Prob it's that if you cancel a day into your trial the trial license still runs down, so technically it'll cancel itself after the trial. Lots of trials are like that, that I've seen.
That's the source of my confusion: doesn't "going beyond the trial" imply the period after the trial? Beyond as in: "After the trial is over"?

Because otherwise I'd have expected them to say: "you can cancel as soon as your trial starts (or started)", not something about beyond the trial (period?).

DaveyG

27 Jan 2021

Is anyone trying it?
What are the sound packs like?

plaamook

27 Jan 2021

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Jan 2021
plaamook wrote:
27 Jan 2021

That's the source of my confusion: doesn't "going beyond the trial" imply the period after the trial? Beyond as in: "After the trial is over"?

Because otherwise I'd have expected them to say: "you can cancel as soon as your trial starts (or started)", not something about beyond the trial (period?).
Prob semantics. Otherwise it's like charging 20 units for a trial. You demo the thing then when it runs down you have to select whether you want a month, year, or a new DAW, right?

Or here.

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I think that’s a really astute comparison...the electronic equivalent of a protest. I was of the same mind as Chimp Spanner, but I think you’ve changed my perspective. 👍🏼
Whoa, that has never happened to me. Convincing someone on the internet is harder than making the right choices for Reason! Thank you for saying that. :)

• Information