Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
Aosta

30 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jan 2021
Our poll says that 15% will subscribe or will consider subscribing. 25% will at least give Reason+ a try. IMO that actually doesn't seem so bad when polling users who are primarily perpetual license owners.

That is an optimistic way of looking at it Joey.
What I'm getting from the poll results is that 7% will subscribe, trying for free does not equate to having the subscription but figures can be interpreted however people want to see them.

Users are fearful that this is the slide towards an exclusively subscription future for the software and business 101 would dictate that that is the most profitable for the investors.

They see users (not all) spending 129 monetary units on an upgrade every 18 months or so, some purchases of the latest and greatest RE when it is released and some more income when sales go on 2 or 3 times a year.
A subscription would mean ALL users would be spending 300 monetary units over 18 months which is over double the cost of an upgrade and every Reason user would be paying it so BIG cash boost + a constant stream.

They will no longer have to rely on new RE income as they would be free to subscribers but that also means they can slow down development of new devices because they know users are locked into the subscription model and will lose access to everything they have created. Yes users will complain like they do now about upgrades but that wont bother the investors and shareholders one bit.

Like I said this is business 101 and this is where we are heading without a doubt in my mind at least.
Tend the flame

Melody303

30 Jan 2021

Aosta wrote:
30 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
30 Jan 2021
Our poll says that 15% will subscribe or will consider subscribing. 25% will at least give Reason+ a try. IMO that actually doesn't seem so bad when polling users who are primarily perpetual license owners.

That is an optimistic way of looking at it Joey.
What I'm getting from the poll results is that 7% will subscribe, trying for free does not equate to having the subscription but figures can be interpreted however people want to see them.

Users are fearful that this is the slide towards an exclusively subscription future for the software and business 101 would dictate that that is the most profitable for the investors.

They see users (not all) spending 129 monetary units on an upgrade every 18 months or so, some purchases of the latest and greatest RE when it is released and some more income when sales go on 2 or 3 times a year.
A subscription would mean ALL users would be spending 300 monetary units over 18 months which is over double the cost of an upgrade and every Reason user would be paying it so BIG cash boost + a constant stream.

They will no longer have to rely on new RE income as they would be free to subscribers but that also means they can slow down development of new devices because they know users are locked into the subscription model and will lose access to everything they have created. Yes users will complain like they do now about upgrades but that wont bother the investors and shareholders one bit.

Like I said this is business 101 and this is where we are heading without a doubt in my mind at least.
That would suck tremendously, but is exactly the way I see it going too.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

EsotericSound

30 Jan 2021

Melody303 wrote:
30 Jan 2021

Unsubscribing from an artist's patreon doesn't mean you can't go back to the stuff you've gained while you were subscribed. Unsubscribing from R+ does (especially if you don't have a Reason license).
We make stuff with the software, and we lose access to that stuff if we stop paying this subscription. Whereas we only consume media.
That's a fair point. I think I just took that as a given as I've been thinking about it all. But yea, you are correct.

Gothi

30 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
30 Jan 2021
But we do know with certainty is that the vast majority of those voices are very likely current Reason owners. And as we all know, that's not the target market.
Yes. That one seems certain. They are not the targets anyway, so in principle, they shouldn't matter. The only thing for RS to be worried about are those who misunderstood and denounced Reason before they came to realize it was an option, not a paradigm shift. If you check the YT chat, there are more than a few goodbye-forever-Reason among them. Thus my conclusion that this could have been communicated and prepared better for the usual suspects, including me, who went to the moon and back again before I got it. We shall see how it plays out. Fortunately, nothing hinders RS to change strategy if it fails. I see four main routes:

1. Owners will be happy, subscribers will be happy, thus it was all but a storm in a Tea Cup.

2. RS will not get a significant amount of subscribers to get the cash flowing and have to roll back the strategy.

3. A significant amount of owners will abandon the ship out of fear for the future, and RS will be forced to bet on the subscription model rather than payed upgrades and REs. Thus it will end in a self fulfilling prophecy.

4. Depending on offers, RS will get a significant amount of subscribers, and the amount of owners will decrease gradually due to tempting benefits of subscription.

I see no Reason why RS would not keep their minds open to all options right now. I bet they are just as uncertain about which way it will go as we are for the moment.

PhillipOrdonez

30 Jan 2021

If they did as Aosta says, then the company would cease to exist due to nobody subscribing and everyone jumping ship.

If I was one of those poor suckers, I would export audio stems and midi for each project and then: goodbye evil motherfuckers.

No, I don't think RS will do that. That's not smart at all in the long term. Subscribers would only continue paying if there's continual development and improvement in both devices and the daw, no matter how you think they will be locked in, they won't be. There's ways out to keep your projects alive.

cursors

30 Jan 2021

Got to say, until this week I never heard the term 'perpetual licence' in my life. I find it quite amusing. :puf_bigsmile:

Koshdukai

30 Jan 2021

Threpus wrote:
29 Jan 2021
After checking out the service, I have no strong feelings about it- except that it isn't meant for license holders, but we all knew that from the beginning. I think the sound packs are cool, essentially being presets that you can use as starting points, but nowhere near $20/month good. Interestingly, there are a number of Christmas-themed sound packs on Reason+. I wonder what the original launch date was- and if the delay (assuming there is one) has created a shift in their timeline regarding the release of Reason 12.
Probably R+ has been in development for a while together with those packs which aren't done in a week as you may know.
So, many might've been done a few months back, including xmas time and some of the sound designers couldn't help but feel inspired by that, at the time :)

sprinkles__

30 Jan 2021

Ad0 wrote:
30 Jan 2021
Disclaimer, I don't think a sub is the end of the world since you can still buy a full license, but I just couldn't resist :D

greatreset.jpg
lol

WOO

30 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
your marketing since leaving the Propellerhead name behind has been abysmal. I don't say that with anger or because I enjoy being critical, but because I'm genuinely proud of the product you've created, and want to see it succeed.

the gist is that you've been far too narrowly focused on your target audiences in your marketing materials and website, and you don't give any thought to how those things will be perceived by the larger user community. some (none who work at RS, thankfully) have suggested that it's a matter of people here getting bent out of shape unnecessarily, or misunderstanding your intent, but those things only happen under the right conditions--completely avoidable conditions caused by poor marketing decisions.

I think that the whole idea behind reason+ is to create short term value in the company so that verdane can then shop it around. Which could be a good thing for us going forward if purchased by the right company. Bean counters make terrible ceo's anyway imho. As to the marketing message being all wrong. Why do those guys in charge of that still have jobs? I refer back to my first point for the answer.

Arjanders

30 Jan 2021

cursors wrote:
30 Jan 2021
Got to say, until this week I never heard the term 'perpetual licence' in my life. I find it quite amusing. :puf_bigsmile:
Haha same here

MuttReason

30 Jan 2021

WOO wrote:
30 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
your marketing since leaving the Propellerhead name behind has been abysmal. I don't say that with anger or because I enjoy being critical, but because I'm genuinely proud of the product you've created, and want to see it succeed.

the gist is that you've been far too narrowly focused on your target audiences in your marketing materials and website, and you don't give any thought to how those things will be perceived by the larger user community. some (none who work at RS, thankfully) have suggested that it's a matter of people here getting bent out of shape unnecessarily, or misunderstanding your intent, but those things only happen under the right conditions--completely avoidable conditions caused by poor marketing decisions.

I think that the whole idea behind reason+ is to create short term value in the company so that verdane can then shop it around. Which could be a good thing for us going forward if purchased by the right company. Bean counters make terrible ceo's anyway imho. As to the marketing message being all wrong. Why do those guys in charge of that still have jobs? I refer back to my first point for the answer.
I agree that this is about creating sustainable revenue for RS which means the private equity owners can look at flipping the company on to another owner in future and cash out at a profit. The problem is, PE firms are often pretty brutal and short-term in their outlook. By the time they flip, the company they're selling doesn't bear much resemblance to the one they bought. A lot of good companies die on the vine when PE firms take charge and decide what gets marketed, how and to whom. This is a risky period for RS. Problem also is that PE owners get to decide who manages the company. They tend to fly in some super aggressive cost-cutter or marketing spin doctor to make the big decisions. The people with the passion and vision that built the company in the first place find themselves pushed to the sidelines. So many examples of this over the years.

MaMue

30 Jan 2021

Why the heck you could not listen more to your customers 5 years ago? So all this trouble maybe never had happened and now the marketing would not look totally artifically generated. Maybe reason would becomeTHE DAW instead ... more from a musicans heart .... like ableton or whatever.

What just happened to reason?!

Anyway, thanks for reason.

Faastwalker

30 Jan 2021

I suppose the important question we should all be asking, in the light of the ongoing Gamestop situation, is do Reason Studios have stock and how much is it currently worth? :puf_bigsmile:

Kuranes2021

30 Jan 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
30 Jan 2021
I suppose the important question we should all be asking, in the light of the ongoing Gamestop situation, is do Reason Studios have stock and how much is it currently worth? :puf_bigsmile:
Lol, I was thinking the same, when I heard about that insanely cool move by that Reddit group! :lol:

fieldframe
RE Developer

30 Jan 2021

Arjanders wrote:
30 Jan 2021
cursors wrote:
30 Jan 2021
Haha same here
A as best I can tell, this term was originally popularized by Adobe to describe old versions of Creative Suite from before they went to the dark side.

certifiedbeatz

30 Jan 2021

Do reason studios post there quarter profit ?

If so I would love to see each quarter profits.. as a company why would u want this.. I will say this will crash and burn.

moneykube

31 Jan 2021

cursors wrote:
30 Jan 2021
indeed... I found it amusing as well ( but liked it the name a lot)... I think it showed up in the thread link below.
Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.21.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.21.59 PM.png (617.19 KiB) Viewed 8253 times
I am the naked old dude in the wheelchair, hidden behind the sexy leotard power users, plucking the wheel spokes for primary percussion, while playing more cowbell and kazoo than is actually needed. This helps to compensate for wind chill, chapped lips, and the severe disappointment that is evident by my facial expression. I asked to be upfront, but that request was denied, since no one really wants to see an ancient depressed long time user that helped support a cold soulless corporate machine. It's all for appearances sake. To attract the young, and those who like that shiny new car smell>> that eventually fades when the wheels fall off, and they realize the motor is missing more than a few spark plugs. Hey.... why aren't all pistons firing?... I thought it was advertised as an 8 cylinder .
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=7521573
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Aosta

31 Jan 2021

Adobe Suite
Adobe Perpetual License

Reason Suite
Reason Perpetual License

Doesn't bode well.
Tend the flame

tobypearce

31 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jan 2021
One question I'd like to raise is how many brand new users that we will see this year and in the future, are members here or tuned into the live stream? I'd say very little, almost none, and the overwhelming majority are existing users.

That said, until a few days ago, how many of the already existing users here and across the Internet were perpetual license users already? 100%

This is an excellent question. To help find the answer I've set up a new thread asking new Reason+ subscribers to make their voices known. It will be interesting to see how many people respond.

Like many others I'm disappointed by the recent developments but that said, we'd all love to see Reason grow, I suppose, and that involves new users. I'm sure we will continue to share thoughts and have a moan on this thread, but hopefully on the new thread we can also show new users that we're nice people really, and that we're here to help :-)
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

exxx

31 Jan 2021

The future of reason to be predicted by watching Reason+

Don't expect daw's future. I don't think it's difficult to go against the flow of reasonstudio asking you to use it as an instrument.

I don't think the reason's daw function will evolve. The reason is that

1. Lack of manpower
I think there is a shortage of technology development personnel.

If you look at the sound source level in the market, the sample pack in the reason+ market cannot be followed.

Manage and make sample packs knowing that the quality is insufficient? = It causes shortage of manpower

2. Profit first attention

Seeing the reason piano, bass, or refill coming out of the rack, watching the recent players, adding interesting elements little by little, I think the company has caught a big trend of making a tool business. The daw update doesn't make money.

3. User base

The reason users are not a power group in the field, so I don't think they're going to ask for stronger skills than they are now. The company started working on Reason+ under that analysis.

Among the existing users, go out and the new ones come and pay.

The daw function will not be updated. Because it's hard for newcomers to notice what's lacking in the daw.

Anyway, the appearance of Reason+ is personally a preparation process for the sale of a company.

Maybe reason+ and maybe reason 12 big update. I would like to raise short-term sales and pursue the maximum profit by carrying out M&A.

The studio has already failed several businesses to make a profit. They would have run out of money and manpower to update.

All that remains is betrayal and escape since they have used up the'customer trust' given to them over the years.

Hey look at the Netflix price.

arnigretar

31 Jan 2021

cursors wrote:
30 Jan 2021
I had to ask google what "perpetual" meant. I don't remember hearing that word in my life before! Reason is always teaching me something
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

jlgrimes

31 Jan 2021

exxx wrote:
31 Jan 2021
The daw update doesn't make money.

I think this is short term thinking.

Not updating your DAW is a sure way to lose money in the long run.

Satisfying older users keeps them updating. It also makes them likely to recommend DAW to other users.

New users generally end up finding what they like anyways. If a new DAW suits their needs, they generally stay there. If they feel something is missing, it makes them more curious to look elsewhere.

sprinkles__

31 Jan 2021

From what i've seen in threads on other forums, the response to this 'release' is pretty much the same as the one here. Most are saying they aren't interested, with a few saying they could see value in signing up. So it's not just the loyalists who are pissed off and having a go. Lots of people are dumping on the company for their poor PR move.

EnochLight

31 Jan 2021

Indeed. As I already said, this shouldn't be surprising. People who are dissatisfied are always the loudest voices.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
31 Jan 2021
Indeed. As I already said, this shouldn't be surprising. People who are dissatisfied are always the loudest voices.
Which can be a good thing. If people don’t voice their dissatisfaction then nothing will ever be changed.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information