Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
moneykube

06 Feb 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
05 Feb 2021
So having a week or thereabouts to think about this, the only thing I would gain by Reason+ over what I already own is literally Friktion and sounds packs. That costs $99 and will be in sale again one day for $69 and I will own it in perpetuity. I can't see why anyone in even a similar position would ever get on the subscription prin model.
missing pattern mutator... I hear ya
:thumbs_up:
I have got sounds and patches to last a 1000 years... "if man will still be alive" :thumbup:
woohoo.. passed 2600 lol
Now I am complete :lol:
wonder what it comes to with former prop head forum !!!
A voice in the wilderness never heard... was that a tree that fell?
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 1.51.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 1.51.17 AM.png (525.69 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Jagwah

06 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
05 Feb 2021
Just because we may come off as overly enthusiastic or supportive does NOT mean we don't have issues with things.
joeyluck wrote:
05 Feb 2021
We are a group of people enthusiastic about Reason and we all have our personal criticisms about it as well.
Sorry for seeming so critical of you guys, tempers always flair and issues are always magnified when Props do their Propping.

I didn't know you guys couldn't enter comps, and I kind of always separated you guys from the rest of us when in all fairness - you are passionate about the product just like we are, and just as entitled to your opinions as we are - and you just took an extra step to help keep these forums alive and operating well. I think I needed reminding of that. I'll be sure to lighten up in that regard, cheers :thumbup:

moneykube

06 Feb 2021

Billy+

06 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Feb 2021
Maybe you should force a few of us to do community service when we step over the line :o
EnochLight wrote:
06 Feb 2021
That’s adorable.
moneykube wrote:
06 Feb 2021
:exclamation: understand completely lol
I don't what am I missing

jamespember
Reason Studios

06 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Feb 2021
honeyBadger wrote:
05 Feb 2021
will recycle and reason compact be included with reason+?
That's definitely a question for James.

What would you want recycle for?

You can make Rex files in Reason without the need for recycle.
So, great questions. I don't have an answer at this point. We have discussed it, but never really ended up making a clear decision either way.

So, regarding Compact, do you mean that the in-app purchases for sounds inside Compact should be included in R+? That does kind of make sense, as we could try weave them into the Companion packs somehow? Having Compact-compatible packs inside Companion could actually be pretty cool?

Re: Recycle, adding access to it in Reason+ could be a good and logical idea as R+ is meant to be "get everything we make". Will take this idea back to the team.

Arjanders

06 Feb 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
04 Feb 2021
Arjanders wrote:
04 Feb 2021
I guess this is the therapeutic threat so.. :oops:

I don't understand how to maintain the hope that reason as a daw gets updated to be on same-ish level as for example Ableton.

Looking back there are improvements done, but in slow pace and with the latest events with reason rack plugin and reason+ for me its very clear that the route they are taken is to be an instrument and sound provider.

I don't think reason daw will be discontinued, but the updates will be mostly some devices (already made for reason +) and maybe some little things in the daw (apart from hi-res, but the hi-res its main goal is to update the reason rack plug-in).

The more I progress personally in music making, the more I encounter workflow breaking events. And if I look at the requests made for the daw over the years a lot of those requests would help me a lot for working fast, keep the flow.

The plan for this year is to get to know Ableton and maybe Bitwig. And now and then I'll check the status on Reason daw to see what they have to offer for an upgrade. We'll see what it will be.

Tbh, I'm not looking forward to learn another daw, but for me the main part of making electronic music is getting in a trance/flow state and to be able to capture ideas fast. And after that to be able to play with those ideas, keeping the flow. And reason for me in this current state has too much speedbumps and detours.

thanks for this session
If you can afford at least one other DAW there's nothing wrong with working in more than one! So long as the process of learning doesn't bog you down and prevent you from making music. They all have things they're good at, and things they're not so good at. Like I'm really looking forward to Live 11. But it kinda blows my mind it doesn't have anything like Reason's pitch editor for audio, and it's only JUST getting comping. Kinda strange to me.

Course on the flipside, 11 is adding a bunch of cool things like group editing, scale display/folding in the note editor, probability, and judging by the beta notes I've seen, a lot of other stuff. Plus it has things I've been waiting for for a long time like folders, punch in/out, etc. As I get to know Live more though I do see a lot of similarities/parallels with Reason. They're actually not worlds apart. IMO Reason wins on flexibility, while Live wins on quality-of-life and workflow. Just a shame it looks kinda like a spreadsheet lol

It's also really good to get a feel for what other DAW users think about their software. I guarantee you things are no rosier on the Ableton forums. Or Steinberg. Or NI. "Why haven't they done X, Y or Z yet. This company is a joke, they just wanna screw us, etc. etc."

FL users seem pretty happy I guess, but it's one of the few DAWs I cannot gel with. Feels like using about 4 different programs depending on what you're doing.
Thanks, appreciate it.

honeyBadger

06 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
06 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
05 Feb 2021

That's definitely a question for James.

What would you want recycle for?

You can make Rex files in Reason without the need for recycle.
So, great questions. I don't have an answer at this point. We have discussed it, but never really ended up making a clear decision either way.

So, regarding Compact, do you mean that the in-app purchases for sounds inside Compact should be included in R+? That does kind of make sense, as we could try weave them into the Companion packs somehow? Having Compact-compatible packs inside Companion could actually be pretty cool?

Re: Recycle, adding access to it in Reason+ could be a good and logical idea as R+ is meant to be "get everything we make". Will take this idea back to the team.
Thanks for the reply, as far as reason compact I was thinking unlocking the whole thing, including the instruments, though I could see how that could be difficult to manage (locking access after the subscription ends) but the sound packs would be a good comprise and value add and I would hope encourage more use and development of the app.

jamespember
Reason Studios

06 Feb 2021

honeyBadger wrote:
06 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
06 Feb 2021

Thanks for the reply, as far as reason compact I was thinking unlocking the whole thing, including the instruments, though I could see how that could be difficult to manage (locking access after the subscription ends) but the sound packs would be a good comprise and value add and I would hope encourage more use and development of the app.
Cool thx for the feedback!

plaamook

07 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
06 Feb 2021
We've been banging on about this since slice edit was introduced and it's as tiring for us as it is for you I'm sure, but really...it's just time to add Recycle's remaining parameters to Reason's s;lice edit and be done with it rathe than allowing access to Recycle stand alone.
If there's any point to including Recycle access in R+ then that to me is just admission that slice edit just isn't slicing it.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

deeplink
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2021

plaamook wrote:
07 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
06 Feb 2021
We've been banging on about this since slice edit was introduced and it's as tiring for us as it is for you I'm sure, but really...it's just time to add Recycle's remaining parameters to Reason's s;lice edit and be done with it rathe than allowing access to Recycle stand alone.
If there's any point to including Recycle access in R+ then that to me is just admission that slice edit just isn't slicing it.
What would Recycle's remaining parameters entail?
I think the obvious one would be a threshold control.
Another workflow improvement would be 'Bounce to New Dr Rex' - instead exporting the rex and then having to find it and drag it back in.
Or perhaps an improved wave editor/smapler similar to what Cubase has just introduced?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

plaamook

07 Feb 2021

deeplink wrote:
07 Feb 2021

Transients and stretch basically. Only those two, but they're crucial!
Slice edit was one of the biggest disappointments for me. Instead of actually integrating Recycle they baked the same old work around into their own product.
:clap:

Or here.

Yonatan

07 Feb 2021

plaamook wrote:
07 Feb 2021
deeplink wrote:
07 Feb 2021

Slice edit was one of the biggest disappointments for me. Instead of actually integrating Recycle they baked the same old work around into their own product.
Very stubborn to not bring those to Reason. They have the code but seems to refuse to implement it. Should be a priority in R12. Audio editing needs a refreshment in Reason.

bangaio

08 Feb 2021

Apologies for making this as a new thread. It’s just some marketing help for props (first of all change your name back! :thumbup: imagine any of the other main companies changing their name? No me neither.)

One of the reasons I’m so baffled by reason plus is twofold. Despite being the same tool they’re not there is reason “classic” and reason+. No company has ever handled this particular well. Then they have “hidden” the shop so for new buyers unless they know it’s there it is hard to find. This is at best disingenuous and at worst deliberately misleading people to the subscription.

Some of the best marketing is when a company is honest so why not change tac and market this as “now you have two ways to create with reason”

Put their cards on the table and be up front. You will win back a tonne of credit for the honesty.

Then fix the two different ways to access and authorise reason and rack extensions. Releasing a half baked process where from what I have heard it is tricky to authorise rack extensions.

Just my 2c and fee free!

If this is deemed best in the main topic please accept my apologies.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2021

Yonatan wrote:
07 Feb 2021
plaamook wrote:
07 Feb 2021

Very stubborn to not bring those to Reason. They have the code but seems to refuse to implement it. Should be a priority in R12. Audio editing needs a refreshment in Reason.
RS giveth. RS taketh away :p

tt_lab

08 Feb 2021

Yonatan wrote:
07 Feb 2021
plaamook wrote:
07 Feb 2021

Totally agree, Reason sample editing features are way behind any other software out there. It is doable but not very intuitive, and that, at least for me personally, can be a party stopper.

plaamook

08 Feb 2021

bangaio wrote:
08 Feb 2021
first of all change your name back!
There's no such thing as Reason Studios as far as I'm concerned.
I don't even use that term when I email em.
There's just Propellerhead.

Kinda like Brexit. I'm still European. Just waiting for everyone else to sort their end out.

Or here.

Billy+

08 Feb 2021

plaamook wrote:
08 Feb 2021
Kinda like Brexit. I'm still European. Just waiting for everyone else to sort their end out.
That's so funny, I've always been English.

But what does any of that have to do with the current discussion?

plaamook

08 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Feb 2021
plaamook wrote:
08 Feb 2021
That's so funny, I've always been English.

But what does any of that have to do with the current discussion?
I was just making a joke about propellerhead v reason studios.

Or here.

Billy+

08 Feb 2021

Well it made me laugh

stratatonic

08 Feb 2021

Thanks to Reason+ and this thread, I learned a new word
MuttReason wrote:
05 Feb 2021
omnishambles
I am forever grateful to MuttReason for this.

Faastwalker

08 Feb 2021

bangaio wrote:
08 Feb 2021
Put their cards on the table and be up front. You will win back a tone of credit for the honesty.
It's a bit late for that! :? The RS marketing team (if there is such an entity) have seriously dropped the ball on this one.

Faastwalker

08 Feb 2021

plaamook wrote:
08 Feb 2021
bangaio wrote:
08 Feb 2021
first of all change your name back!
There's no such thing as Reason Studios as far as I'm concerned.
I don't even use that term when I email em.
There's just Propellerhead.
When I bought the new DRUMSYN RE last week I noticed that the PayPal transaction page still shows 'Propellerhead'.

Made me all nostalgic for the good old days :cry:

MuttReason

08 Feb 2021

stratatonic wrote:
08 Feb 2021
Thanks to Reason+ and this thread, I learned a new word
MuttReason wrote:
05 Feb 2021
omnishambles
I am forever grateful to MuttReason for this.
Not my invention TBF. Comes from a v funny TV comedy series in the UK called The Thick Of It. Clip from YouTube (very NSFW...)

EdwardKiy

09 Feb 2021

plaamook wrote:
07 Feb 2021
I'd like to take a moment to appreciate the beauty and depth of reverb from this slap. It was so detailed and nuanced that I could visualize the face. But this is just one of the sequencer features we asked for. Get in line.

moneykube

09 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
06 Feb 2021
Cool thx for the feedback!
here is some crucial feed back that affects reason 11 users including reason + users ( since that seems the new target audience... you might want to look into this first !) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7521770
I sent you a pm about this. Never mind MattiasHG says a fix is being tested. :!: :clap: :thumbs_up:
Last edited by moneykube on 09 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

• Information