Ignition Key bites the dust on Mac - with no plans to fix

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tobypearce

27 Jan 2021

On Big Sur, Ignition Key is no longer recognised and I have to log on using the internet every time I use reason.
I have two computers, so only one can be authorised via software. On the other one, I'm stuck with online authorisation.

I contacted Reason Studios for support and they told me that they had no plans to fix this, so the ignition key, at the moment, is dead on new Mac OS.

I'm so disappointed by this, and by the response that I got from support. It's a clear step backwards.

The only reason I'm posting this here is in the hope that someone else from Reason will see this, see reason, and get this issue resolved.

P.S. The makers of the codemeter software, WIBU, have already released their own fix for this type of issue so that ignition keys continue to work, but RS use an adapted version of this code so it won't work. The fact that a solution seems very possible, and that RS aren't interested in fixing it? Like I said, I'm disappointed.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

That's because it's been replaced by companion app.

Part of the + package, does it feel like a plus!

tobypearce

27 Jan 2021

I can quite believe that they haven't had time to even consider this fully because they've been busy with the companion.

You may mean that the only way I can avoid having to log into Reason every time I open it is to subscribe to Reason +. Great.

As a consequence, whilst they may feel they have exciting news to share, this is the first time I have ever felt not cared for as a user.

In answer to your question: no, it feels quite a bit like a minus.

DaveyG

27 Jan 2021

tobypearce wrote:
27 Jan 2021

You may mean that the only way I can avoid having to log into Reason every time I open it is to subscribe to Reason +.
Before you go ahead and do something rash, be aware that a Reason+ subscription requires an internet connection to start Reason every time. Apparently there is no such thing as offline authorisation with the subscription. They really should have made it something like a once a month connection thing to top up the licence. If your internet is down or you are somewhere remote, there will be no playing with Reason...

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

27 Jan 2021

tobypearce wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I can quite believe that they haven't had time to even consider this fully because they've been busy with the companion.

You may mean that the only way I can avoid having to log into Reason every time I open it is to subscribe to Reason +. Great.
This has nothing to do with Reason+.

You can still authorize your Reason license on one computer (being a single user license) for offline use even under new Macs. What's not supported is specifically the USB Ignition Key. The hardware key is discontinued and we haven't shipped that with Reason in years. Many new computers don't even have traditional USB ports, so it was high time to move to a purely digital solution that also saves on the environment.

Sorry if this isn't solving your specific problem (moving between two computers you own, but not using internet verification) but I wanted to at least give you the background.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
tobypearce wrote:
27 Jan 2021

This has nothing to do with Reason+.

You can still authorize your Reason license on one computer (being a single user license) for offline use even under new Macs. What's not supported is specifically the USB Ignition Key. The hardware key is discontinued and we haven't shipped that with Reason in years. Many new computers don't even have traditional USB ports, so it was high time to move to a purely digital solution that also saves on the environment.

Sorry if this isn't solving your specific problem (moving between two computers you own, but not using internet verification) but I wanted to at least give you the background.
Mine still works, shall I tell you what I did, I clicked not now.

tobypearce

27 Jan 2021

Mattias,

I am so disappointed by this response. Since my second computer is for on the road - where internet is not always available - this means that I need authorise that computer, not my main one. As a consequence, every time I open Reason on my main studio computer, I need to authorise.

I do hope you understand, as a company, that this a clear reduction in making music fast - which is what Reason has always stood for; and that it will be disappointing every time I see that log on screen; which is every single day.

I have been with Reason since version 3 and this is the first time that I've ever felt like I'm not being cared for as a user.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

I'm maybe 3 or 4 updates behind, I haven't turned on my machine today as I just can't face seeing the update banner, are you fully upgraded to the latest Reason+ install or does this affect all ignition keys regardless of the actual status of Reason?

Mataya

27 Jan 2021

No comment.
Last edited by Mataya on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

27 Jan 2021

tobypearce wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Mattias,

I am so disappointed by this response. Since my second computer is for on the road - where internet is not always available - this means that I need authorise that computer, not my main one. As a consequence, every time I open Reason on my main studio computer, I need to authorise.

I do hope you understand, as a company, that this a clear reduction in making music fast - which is what Reason has always stood for; and that it will be disappointing every time I see that log on screen; which is every single day.

I have been with Reason since version 3 and this is the first time that I've ever felt like I'm not being cared for as a user.
Sorry to hear that Toby. I do appreciate your feedback on this. Would a "silent login" like in Reason Rack Plugin (i.e. auto log-in with no log-in window popping up if you saved your password) be helpful? We've talked about doing that for standalone too and I agree that it'd be nice to not have the login prompt every time.

Supporting hardware Ignition Keys eats into development time and authorizing a computer is the same in most scenarios, so when the new macOS proved incompatible with how Ignition Keys are handled we made this call.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
...Would a "silent login" like in Reason Rack Plugin (i.e. auto log-in with no log-in window popping up if you saved your password) be helpful? We've talked about doing that for standalone too and I agree that it'd be nice to not have the login prompt every time.
:clap: :thumbup:

And please, update the licenses if needed...Since VSTs it can take a bit of time, so i click on "Reason", getting a beer or coffee, coming back and i have the Login screen or Update License window :?
Reason12, Win10

DaveyG

27 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
. Would a "silent login" like in Reason Rack Plugin (i.e. auto log-in with no log-in window popping up if you saved your password) be helpful?
Mattias, I think everyone would welcome a silent login but you could go further and allow each user to authorise two computers for offline use rather than one. Lots of us have a main PC and a laptop for portable use and many other companies allow more than one installation. The most generous I know of is Presonus who allow no less than 5 installations! But you don't have to go that far. Two would cover the needs of almost everyone. :thumbup:

dioxide

27 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
What's not supported is specifically the USB Ignition Key. The hardware key is discontinued and we haven't shipped that with Reason in years. Many new computers don't even have traditional USB ports, so it was high time to move to a purely digital solution that also saves on the environment.
Arghh. This is bad news as it screws me for doing live sets. I currently use two laptops running a copy of Reason each and synced using Ableton Link. One laptop is verified on the computer and the second uses the Ignition Key. As you can imagine it's better not to rely on Wifi / Internet in a live club situation.

I realise I'm possibly breaking some terms of use by using one verified and the IK at the same time, but even if I were to buy a second licence for Reason, I would also have to buy second copies of all of my REs, which obviously won't happen.

So I'd like to ask that you consider some licensing option that allows for use of more than one version of Reason at a time. The hardware verification plus IK has worked well up til now, and I'm not sure I trust internet login if I'm also playing live. Losing the server mid-set would be disastrous.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

dioxide wrote:
27 Jan 2021
...but even if I were to buy a second licence for Reason, I would also have to buy second copies of all of my REs, which obviously won't happen....
Personally i do not (yet) need a 2nd running computer, but this was something i always thought of for ppl who really need a 2nd running system. They pay for Reason and all RE twice? Probably yes, since a lot of software do not allow multiple installation, but on the other hand some companies know the "sharing" with family, like Netflix does. I think it would be better to go the "expended licenses" way, which allows 2, 5, 10 or n installations for a few bucks more. Or multiple installation for 1, 2, 5 or 10 persons. Or usages at the same time...

Licensing models can get very complicated :lol: And damn, i am just a little user that wants to use my payed stuff! I cross fingers for future to be easier, flexible and legal for the user in any way.
Reason12, Win10

dioxide

27 Jan 2021

Adobe Cloud allows two activations. Given it's more expensive than Reason, but I think this sounds fair. Usually it might be used for desktop and a laptop.

chaosroyale

27 Jan 2021

I'm a little behind the curve here - I'm on PC, my main PC is authorized to the hardware already. I understand that will not change.

Am I correct that the new version of Reason will no longer use Ignition key for "mobile" authorizing - and that's true for PC and Mac?

So, if I need to authorize a mobile PC while traveling, I can still do that by logging in - is that correct?

...So anyway, I should throw away the ignition key now? Am I right about that?
Last edited by chaosroyale on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

tobypearce

27 Jan 2021

Mattias,

Yes: silent log-in would go some way to addressing the issue.

Allowing two software authorisations would be the better solution, both because it would help Dioxide's use case, and because it would merely restore the situation to the status that it was when you designed the authorisation system in the first place - i.e. offline authorisation of two computers. I understand that you don't want to divert development time to extending the life of Ignition Key.

You mention above that you have taken the decision to move to entirely digital authorisation. In my view, to really make that decision you have to bite the bullet and allow two authorisations; otherwise you're simply removing something rather than fully embracing it.

Thanks for being here for this discussion - I do at least appreciate that Mattias.

tanni

27 Jan 2021

dioxide wrote:
27 Jan 2021
MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
What's not supported is specifically the USB Ignition Key. The hardware key is discontinued and we haven't shipped that with Reason in years. Many new computers don't even have traditional USB ports, so it was high time to move to a purely digital solution that also saves on the environment.
Arghh. This is bad news as it screws me for doing live sets. I currently use two laptops running a copy of Reason each and synced using Ableton Link. One laptop is verified on the computer and the second uses the Ignition Key. As you can imagine it's better not to rely on Wifi / Internet in a live club situation.

I realise I'm possibly breaking some terms of use by using one verified and the IK at the same time, but even if I were to buy a second licence for Reason, I would also have to buy second copies of all of my REs, which obviously won't happen.

So I'd like to ask that you consider some licensing option that allows for use of more than one version of Reason at a time. The hardware verification plus IK has worked well up til now, and I'm not sure I trust internet login if I'm also playing live. Losing the server mid-set would be disastrous.
Thats a desaster for me ! My studio is in the cellar of the house were is no internetconnection, nor handy connection. Its cement walls and an optimized room for musicproduction. So I have a lot of hardware there and on software side only software with simple serial-copyright installations, like all the U-he plugins and so on. Reason is on the main PC as my DAW with the ignition key. Every Reason and RE update I made, goes first on my laptop and then I tranfer it to my studio PC, were we are working on our projects. Its an highEnd PC in a bigtower. What kind of solution you have for me now, if the ignition key doesnt work in future ?? Please dont say me, I have to put the tower up in the house to my internetconnection every time I want to install an update :o

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

DaveyG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
. Would a "silent login" like in Reason Rack Plugin (i.e. auto log-in with no log-in window popping up if you saved your password) be helpful?
Mattias, I think everyone would welcome a silent login but you could go further and allow each user to authorise two computers for offline use rather than one. Lots of us have a main PC and a laptop for portable use and many other companies allow more than one installation. The most generous I know of is Presonus who allow no less than 5 installations! But you don't have to go that far. Two would cover the needs of almost everyone. :thumbup:
Like for real. It's standard. Reason Studios should definitely make good on this.

motuscott

27 Jan 2021

This screws me too. I was using the ignition key in my basement practice studio w/ no internet. Two authorizations would fix this, but then there's prolly them what need three authorizations...
Still this fuques w/ my workflow.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

fullforce

27 Jan 2021

tobypearce wrote:
27 Jan 2021
and that it will be disappointing every time I see that log on screen; which is every single day.
Horrible. Absolutely horrible. In the middle of a society changing pandemic and you have to click "login" once a day.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

tanni wrote:
27 Jan 2021
What kind of solution you have for me now, if the ignition key doesnt work in future ?? Please dont say me, I have to put the tower up in the house to my internetconnection every time I want to install an update :o
How do you currently install updates or new products?
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

I think 2 licenses is a great way forward to address these concerns. Even if money wasn't an issue the idea of keeping two accounts in sync seems like an unnecessary option. I would instantly have a use for a second license…
Selig Audio, LLC

tanni

27 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021
tanni wrote:
27 Jan 2021
What kind of solution you have for me now, if the ignition key doesnt work in future ?? Please dont say me, I have to put the tower up in the house to my internetconnection every time I want to install an update :o
How do you currently install updates or new products?
I copy the RackExtensions and the downloaded update files from the Reason site with an USB stick onto the studio PC (RackExtensions from my Laptop first). Its easy and very practicable and works for the last years.
Other software products I use are only plugins which has a simple keyfile or serial, like all U-he plugins for example. Thats the best way in my opinion for customers. So I dont need an internet connection in the studio. With my Laptop I go frequent to the internet, but thats an dual-core and not the music-machine in my studio. I like the ignition key, because I can easy stick it to my laptop, make the Rackextension updates and than back to the studio PC after copying the files. So I dont go live, produce music only in my studio, sometimes with friends.

DecafDreams

27 Jan 2021

Please tell me there aren't plans to discontinue the support for Computer authorisation too? I don't want my computer to be on the internet all the time! The internet is just depressing these days...

• Information