Looking for an Audio To Midi tool

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pushedbutton

08 Feb 2021

Pretty sure I found something on here about a company selling a program that can analyse an audio file and output a multitrack midi.
Can't find it now.
Anyone know what I'm talking about.
(I know you can do a monophonic track in reason, I wanna be able to process comercial tracks.)
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Billy+

08 Feb 2021

Something like this maybe?

https://products.zplane.de/decoda

pushedbutton

08 Feb 2021

No that wasn't it, it literally make a midi file out of every drum and instrument in an mp3.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Billy+

08 Feb 2021

pushedbutton wrote:
08 Feb 2021
No that wasn't it, it literally make a midi file out of every drum and instrument in an mp3.
If you find it make sure to post the details as I've never found anything that truly works.

OldGoat

08 Feb 2021

Wrong forum?
But a good idea, just "duckduckgoed" a little and found Intelliscore...will test, if this can handle a Morbid Angel song...

"Ensemble Edition: WAVE to MIDI converter incorporating Innovative Music Systems' breakthrough multiple-instrument conversion technology. IntelliScore Ensemble is the only product in the world that can listen to a musical audio file comprised of several different instruments including drums and convert it to a file containing the notes and drums played, broken down by instrument. It can also convert a percussion recording comprised of several different drums to a multi-drum MIDI file, not merely find the beats and trigger a single drum as other products do."

http://www.intelliscore.net/demo.html

EDIT:
Did it, the result is as funny as it sucks...I know that it is a hard test...
The first 30 seconds of this love song:

This is what the "tool" created:

Rename it to Altars.mid:
Altars.mid.txt
(5.57 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Billy+

12 Feb 2021

pushedbutton wrote:
08 Feb 2021
Pretty sure I found something on here about a company selling a program that can analyse an audio file and output a multitrack midi.
Can't find it now.
Anyone know what I'm talking about.
(I know you can do a monophonic track in reason, I wanna be able to process comercial tracks.)
Maybe this one?

https://hitnmix.com

OldGoat

13 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Feb 2021
Maybe this one?

https://hitnmix.com
Looks promising, but it is very expensive.
Oops I did it again, the result is also funny as it sucks...I know that it is a hard test...
I've done the following: Imported the wav file, exported it to midi.

The first 45 seconds of this love song:

This is what the "tool" created:

Rename it to ".mid":
Altars_new.mid.txt
(80.17 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Billy+

13 Feb 2021

OldGoat wrote:
13 Feb 2021
It's good to see you tried the software but I guessing that the results aren't going to be the best given the audio you're using. Not to upset you but have you tried it on something a bit more mainstream?

OldGoat

13 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Feb 2021
OldGoat wrote:
13 Feb 2021
It's good to see you tried the software but I guessing that the results aren't going to be the best given the audio you're using. Not to upset you but have you tried it on something a bit more mainstream?
No worries, the trial is valid for 30 days, so if you suggest something (in the best case with a link to the audio), I can process it and upload the midi here.
The software is quite resource demanding, and the trial only allows to process 45 seconds, so it would be great, if you also provide which 45 seconds I should take.
But please be patient, it could be that it takes one or two days until I upload the result, because I'm not often here...

I used Morbid Angel, because searching for tabs leads to 1024 very different tabs for the same song, and I wanted to check, if there is a tool that could ease the pain of finding out what the hell the guys are doing...it's also hard for me to play such style by ear, especially since I want to know, what the bass is playing.

jam-s

14 Feb 2021

you could try to split the track into stems first using something like spleeter or any of its implementations (*cough* like tonal balance control *cough*) and then feeding the resulting less complex material to your audio to midi guesser software.

OldGoat

14 Feb 2021

jam-s wrote:
14 Feb 2021
you could try to split the track into stems first using something like spleeter or any of its implementations (*cough* like tonal balance control *cough*) and then feeding the resulting less complex material to your audio to midi guesser software.
Alter, das ist ja voll die Nerd-Scheiße (nicht böse gemeint)...
I like the python language, because you can read it almost like natural language, but I hate the version hell, it reminds me of the DLL hell, even under Linux it is sometimes a pain in the ass, although having "virtual environments" can ease the pain.

However, I use Windows on my DAW machine, I followed the instructions for installing the stuff with conda, and guess what happened?
fuckingVersionHell.PNG
fuckingVersionHell.PNG (35.09 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
Since I'm not at work here, I will give up on this now...

gullum

14 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Feb 2021
OldGoat wrote:
13 Feb 2021

what? that's offenting :D Morbid Angel is as mainstream as it gets Blessed are the sic was a regular in all nightclubs some years ago :D

OldGoat

14 Feb 2021

gullum wrote:
14 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
13 Feb 2021

what? that's offenting :D Morbid Angel is as mainstream as it gets Blessed are the sic was a regular in all nightclubs some years ago :D
They were the first Death Metal band signed to a major label, so this kind of true, this "sell-out" was one of the drivers of the second wave of Black Metal.
And do not forget this:

Creativemind

14 Feb 2021

Have a look at Scaler 2.

I found this amazing the other week for analysing a song (from You Tube) and telling me the chords. It will then allow you to drag the chords into your daw track. I wasn't doing what you were specifically wanting but might be worth taking a look. It can analyse audio and tell you the chords.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

OldGoat

14 Feb 2021

Creativemind wrote:
14 Feb 2021
Have a look at Scaler 2.

I found this amazing the other week for analysing a song (from You Tube) and telling me the chords. It will then allow you to drag the chords into your daw track. I wasn't doing what you were specifically wanting but might be worth taking a look. It can analyse audio and tell you the chords.
Thanks, but I think the problem here are not the chords, this song is written in E minor (and yes, some chromatic extensions are being used), the riffs are my problem here and that the bass is often not hearable).

jam-s

14 Feb 2021

OldGoat wrote:
14 Feb 2021
jam-s wrote:
14 Feb 2021
I like the python language, because you can read it almost like natural language, but I hate the version hell, it reminds me of the DLL hell, even under Linux it is sometimes a pain in the ass, although having "virtual environments" can ease the pain.
https://github.com/boy1dr/SpleeterGui (download: https://makenweb.com/SpleeterGUI)

Makes this a lot more enjoyable ;)

Billy+

14 Feb 2021

Sorry I wasn't saying anything detrimental about the artist / genre other than it might be a bit to complex for conversion to midi, I personally love a bit of Slayer when I'm in the mood.

As for stemming a track into less complex segments that's exactly what took me to decoda as you can filter large portions of a track out and concentrate on individual frequency ranges, couple that with a piano roll and more of the midi / note data becomes available.

Now I've not used any of the tools as they all seem to offer audio to midi but I'm sceptical that anything truly achieves this without actually requiring more work than I can be bothered to put in.

But if you find a good working solution please report back as I would be very interested.

Enjoy

OldGoat

14 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2021
Sorry I wasn't saying anything detrimental about the artist / genre other than it might be a bit to complex for conversion to midi, I personally love a bit of Slayer when I'm in the mood.
"There's no need to say I'm sorry" (one day I have to write this ballad in a f@ckin' Michael Bolton style and get rich), at least I did not read it that way.
SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYER...

Trying to get back to the topic:

One additional thought I had was: "If the tool can handle this, it can handle anything".
They are both quite expensive, and although I would not consider myself a good musician, I'm at least able to find out may stuff by ear.

So the song for testing such software should be not too easy, that is also a reason, why I'm open to suggestions.

One alternative might be Ableton, I found one post from the mighty Raaphorst in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7508682&hilit=ableton+can
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
30 Jan 2019
Ableton Live can do it. Not always perfect on busy and complex harmonies. It's a great feature though, you can create midi out of audio. Also for rhythm it works nicely. Real acoustic grooves > midi parts.

Billy+

14 Feb 2021

Totally agree, "if it's to simply then it's not a good test"

But I still think that either way none of the current tools available are going to produce a good result without the track being broken down into reasonable frequency ranges.

OldGoat

14 Feb 2021

jam-s wrote:
14 Feb 2021
OldGoat wrote:
14 Feb 2021

https://github.com/boy1dr/SpleeterGui (download: https://makenweb.com/SpleeterGUI)

Makes this a lot more enjoyable ;)
Thank you so much! THIS is a game changer, the quality of the bass stem is amazing!
I will need to upload the results somewhere, might take some time!
Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2021
Totally agree, "if it's to simply then it's not a good test"

But I still think that either way none of the current tools available are going to produce a good result without the track being broken down into reasonable frequency ranges.
1. Used SpleeterGUI for separation of the first 45 seconds wav into 4 stems: Bass; Drums, Guitar and Vocals (which is empty, ...it is really that good)
2. Imported the bass.wav into "Hit'n'MixInfinity" (€339), I did not tweak anything, just did a midi export afterwards: In lack of better words:
:shock:
bassHitnMixInfinity.mid.txt
(32.46 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
(rename to mid)

Billy+

14 Feb 2021

Should I assume you was impressed with the exported midi? I don't have to to try the file.

Billy+

14 Feb 2021

OldGoat any chance you can pull the motif out of this ? Starts 14 second in. So you probably just dump from the start as the track is not that complex.

With vocal and beat seperation on this

OldGoat

14 Feb 2021

Great suggestion, back in the days I also used to here them in a row...
Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2021
OldGoat any chance you can pull the motif out of this ? Starts 14 second in. So you probably just dump from the start as the track is not that complex.

A multitrack midi: https://anonymousfiles.io/f/Prodigy_short.mid
Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2021

With vocal and beat seperation on this

Re-animated my neglected soundcloud page:

Separated bass (Hit'n'MixInfinity):
bass_short.mid.txt
(20.79 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
[EDIT: Removed garbage links]
Attachments
Prodigy_short.mid.txt
(62.77 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Last edited by OldGoat on 15 Feb 2021, edited 3 times in total.

Billy+

14 Feb 2021

Both links go to a php file fac.php

And I was after the actual vocal from the second one not the midi ;)

Starts at 20 seconds in 45 seconds should cover it

Stick the motif midi & vocal in a zip and PM them!

OldGoat

14 Feb 2021

Mods, can you of you please remove this?
Not related to the topic, thanks!
Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2021
Both links go to a php file fac.php
OMS, I apologize, first time using this!

A right click the button and "save links as" worked...removed them anyway, because they obviously suck. Replaced them with two midi files, the vocals will follow...
Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2021

Stick the motif midi & vocal in a zip and PM them!
issue.PNG
issue.PNG (127.13 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by OldGoat on 15 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

• Information