Some things have changed with Reason+. A handy reference.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stp2015

08 Feb 2021

For those evaluating the recent changes, here are a few of the things that are now different.
  • Many retailers still have some Reason Suite 11 licenses available, but Reason Studios consider it discontinued. Once Suite is no longer available at retailers either, this option to get most RS rack extensions for a reasonable purchase price will be gone. Existing users will retain their licenses, but new users will only have the Reason+ or Reason Standard options.
  • Many retailers still have some Reason Intro licenses left, but Reason Studios appear to consider it discontinued. Using Reason without a large upfront investment will become difficult unless one is willing to subscribe. After 5 months subscribers will have spend approximately 100 USD (what used to be the price of Intro) for package that is much more comprehensive than Intro, but they will own nothing. Existing Intro users keep their Intro licenses, but new users will not have that option.
  • Many third party Rack Extensions compete with RS Rack Extensions. A good example is Sequences by Robotic Bean. It is different from Poly Step Sequencer, but at least some of the Reason+ users that now automatically have Poly Step will not buy Robotic Bean sequences even if they otherwise would have preferred it. This may make developing Rack extensions less attractive for third parties. For users this might mean fewer nice third party extensions in the future.
This list may not be complete, please feel free to add. I think it may be helpful for some users in evaluating to what extent they want to keep investing in RS products, and maybe which option they should chose.

Billy+

08 Feb 2021

Your first point is unsubstantiated as until Reason Studios officially offers a perpetual license for the next major upgrade we won't actually know. They have said that they will offer them but we will have to wait until release to see what that will entail.

I really don't think you're second point is even valid as I'm fairly certain that intro won't be updated nor supported

As for the third point you have not taken into consideration that someone willing to pay for subscription might be quite happy to increase their overall cost by adding a bundle from the current device subscription service that has been available since 2017 and includes 3rd party rack extension which if I'm correct in my understanding any developer can opt into.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... s-it-work-

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/subscription/browse/

Given the direction over the last few years I would assume that developers are going to accept its benefits over the alternative and we will start seeing more 3rd party devices in that list, and as long as I can purchase them and own the devices I see very little issue with that as an option.

My problem with it all is that I've spent 20 years investing in Reason as a product and could never adopt it as a service. Software as a service just doesn't work for me.

stp2015

08 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Feb 2021
Your first point is unsubstantiated as until Reason Studios officially offers a perpetual license for the next major upgrade we won't actually know. They have said that they will offer them but we will have to wait until release to see what that will entails.

I really don't think you're second point is even valid as I'm fairly certain that intro won't be updated nor supported

As for the third point you have not taken into consideration that someone willing to pay for subscription might be quite happy to increase their overall cost by adding a bundle from the current device subscription service that has been available since 2017 and includes 3rd party rack extension which if I'm correct in my understanding any developer can opt into.

Given the direction over the last few years I would assume that developers are going to accept its benefits over the alternative and we will start seeing more 3rd party devices in that list, and as long as I can purchase them and own the devices I see very little issue with that as an option.

My problem with it all is that I've spent 20 years investing in Reason as a product and could never adopt it as a service. Software as a service just doesn't work for me.
I have just tried to state facts here, and where I am uncertain about implications I have used words like "may" or "might". Suite 11 and Intro 11 have both disappeared from Reason website as of now, and the only perpetual license that remains available on their site - as of now and for new customers - is Standard. So while R+ has been introduced, Suite 11 and Intro 11 have been removed for new customers on the same day. What decisions they make in the future remains to be seen, these are the facts as of now.

I also want to be very clear: My intention here was just to point some things out so that everyone can make a fully informed decision based on the current situation. For example, maybe this will encourage some people to buy Suite or Intro while they still can. Sorry if this came across as another rant thread, or as me pushing my opinion. That was not my goal.

The RE competition argument is difficult, this is why I have said "may" and "might". In Europe there have been some cases where competition authorities have asked companies not to bundle their own version of certain things (e.g. Apple and Microsoft) to allow for competition. This is similar in some ways, but of course total effects are intricate and could go either way. We can all form our own opinion, but we should maybe take this into account.
Last edited by stp2015 on 08 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

08 Feb 2021

It's all cool, it doesn't come across as a rant and I get the sentiment. I personally can't stand the current direction and I'm extremely concerned about what this means for my investment moving forward.

I hope that I can continue to upgrade to future version, I hope that I can continue to buy new rack extensions but as things stand I have not even updated to the latest build.

I'm running 11.3.5 suite and until things become certain I will continue to click the not now option.

joeyluck

08 Feb 2021

I'm confused by this post in general.

At first I thought it was going to be listing things that changed with Reason+ itself...

Also, we have an FAQ here (which clearly you know about; borrowing from the title) and challism created a thread specifically noting your first two points:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7521506

Your third point has nothing to do with changes because of Reason+. You mention Suite in your first post, but forget that PolyStep was included with Suite. So that's about a year and a half people have been getting a version of Reason packaged with PolyStep.

Billy+

08 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Feb 2021
I'm confused by this post in general.

At first I thought it was going to be listing things that changed with Reason+ itself...

Also, we have an FAQ here (which clearly you know about; borrowing from the title) and challism created a thread specifically noting your first two points:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7521506

Your third point has nothing to do with changes because of Reason+. You mention Suite in your first post, but forget that PolyStep was included with Suite. So that's about a year and a half ago people were getting a version of Reason packaged with PolyStep.
I was then on my way to find the plus FAQ to include it, you beat me! But I was wondering if that might be of use.

stp2015

08 Feb 2021

Maybe I just wanted to phrase things in a way that I think emphasizes what I see as important and I think might benefit other users. Yes, I saw the other thread, and I made the link on purpose. I wanted this to be a complement to that thread. I don't want it to replace the other one.
joeyluck wrote:
08 Feb 2021
Your third point has nothing to do with changes because of Reason+. You mention Suite in your first post, but forget that PolyStep was included with Suite. So that's about a year and a half people have been getting a version of Reason packaged with PolyStep.
I disagree with this. Before, people had more diverse options. They could for example buy Intro + Synapse Bundle + Sequences at the same price as Standard. Such options are now gone, the only affordable option automatically includes the RS products.

There is a very simple solution if RS really want to make sure things are as before but there is R+ as an additional option. Keep Intro available, keep Suite available and offer R+ in addition. But the fact that they remove two other options on the same day that they introduce R+ makes it pretty clear that the two decisions are related.
Last edited by stp2015 on 08 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

08 Feb 2021

The fact being that although the term Suite is no longer in use by Reason Studios the subscription service is exactly that it's suite by a different name with a different pricing structure and unlike the suite some of us went and bought then didn't get the extra devices included you now can only there is a but and that is but you will have to subscribe.

RoryM0

08 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Feb 2021
The fact being that although the term Suite is no longer in use by Reason Studios the subscription service is exactly that it's suite by a different name with a different pricing structure and unlike the suite some of us went and bought then didn't get the extra devices included you now can only there is a but and that is but you will have to subscribe.
Suite was a fixed bundle of REs at a fixed price, at no point was it ever communicated that this bundle would grow as new RS REs were developed.

The REs included with a Reason+ subscription will grow in number as new ones are developed.

Suite and R+ are not the same thing, even if right now they appear similar. I don't understand why some people are having such a hard time understanding this.

Billy+

08 Feb 2021

That's correct and I also believed and understood that it was a bundle not an ever growing thing, I even brought Friktion.

And I totally get why the subscription service user will see the extra devices when available.

• Information