Who got the unwanted Marshall headphones solicitation from RS?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
earwig83

04 Mar 2021

Probably a minor annoyance to most but for me it is a big deal. I received the unwanted promo email from reason studios today to get some discount on Marshall branded headphones. I feel that this is not acceptable marketing. I never expressed interest in receiving marketing material for 3rd party products barely connected to reason studios software or brand. Third party VSTs is one thing, but consumer hardware from an irrelevant (IMO) brand in the headphone space? Come on. I'm sure it is all legal obviously and I see the logic and I am sure they got a handsome sum to do it for Marshall but it just goes to show what that RS thinks of people like me who have paid and used their stuff for 20 years. Trick statement, they don't. They only care about trying to save their dying business model by slowly turning it into a lame shopping platform.

This tells me where things are going and I am not too pleased. I anticipate this kind of unwanted spam will increase as the company grows more desperate for other revenue streams. When they realize they can't get it any other way than by selling our emails out and eventually cutting us off from perpetual license, they will have gone full adobe.

Anyone else feel that this is yet another step in the bad direction? Maybe they have done this before a few times and I never noticed? I don't want to unsubscribe from other potential email news but between that promo email and all the lame sound pack pushes, to the weak and stale vibe of their live streams, I'm starting to feel like I need to separate myself further from this brand gone astray. They just don't care about anything but trying to monetize their dwindling user base and grow into something they were never supposed to be: a gen z money extractor built on prefab sound packs and half-baked RE devices that are all basically just patch randomizers (albeit some of which are still kind of cool, but way overpriced).

Now obviously, I'm going to keep using reason as long as I can as there is still no other... but I will no longer consider myself a promoter of the brand or ecosystem. They just don't seemed focused on staying true to their roots and the Verdane Capital relationship has influenced their tone way too much. I also find too many people are happy to watch this happen and willing to just go with the flow and deflect criticism rather than support the critique. Too each their own, of course. But this has become apparent especially after the R+ announcement debacle.

I feel RS is just terrible at clear and effective marketing. Every time they release something there is always massive confusion and adjustments made to their communications because they are often vague or poorly worded or displayed. Seems almost by design sometimes. Just like how this subscription push is a way to obfuscate that they have lost faith in the DAW and just want to sell their version of a Sound Toys rack.

I wouldn't care so much if I didn't feel these bad decisions will ultimately lead to them doing something we really don't like down the line and then selling the husk the brand inevitably becomes to an even more belligerent and oblivious Venture fund or investor. They are losing their way, in my humble opinion and it's getting faster everyday. They even respond to criticism with arrogance on their social threads. These guys really have lost their modesty.

Now I know it's their brand and they have every right to do what they want, but I am getting tired of their style at this point. And that's a bummer because I do prefer the reason DAW.

PhillipOrdonez

04 Mar 2021

Guessing we all did receive it?

Guessing not many more than you care about it.

I don't. It's fine as long as it is music production/audio related stuff.

You don't need it cause you got a wig on your ear, so 🤷‍♂️

joeyluck

04 Mar 2021

I missed this. Thanks for the heads up, but I will stick with my Sony MDR 7506.

Contrary to your feelings about it, I hope to see more like this. Hook us up with deals! Continue to surprise me with something other than Reason related offers which I am most of the time already very aware of. Maybe next time it will be a coupon for a mic, a free plugin, etc...

earwig83

04 Mar 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Mar 2021

It's fine for you, for now. But you yourself just stated where you draw the line. Music production related marketing. But that's not actually what we signe dup for (in good faith).

Next step, they will stretch it further and start marketing some lame third party cloud service. Or maybe they market 5 hour energy drinks so you can stay up and make more music! What about slippers to keep your feet warm under the mixing console? Where do we draw the line? lol

The point I was making is that I don't explicitly consent to them trying to expose me to brands or marketing material I don't want to see. Especially in my email. But of course, the legal mumbo jumbo of the EULA or opt in checkboxes will obviously say they can do whatever they want but I think this is a problem.

It shows just how much RS is no longer the same company and it has been captured by the Verdane Capital bean counting vampires. I believe you will too will come to the same conclusion in time. Your threshold is just different. And that's fine for the time being.

As far as your last line, you are right, I don't need them. :) Why would anyone need $400+ dollar Bluetooth headphones (that aren't from the bigger and more established professional headphone companies). Is it even practical to work with bluetooth when using a DAW and proper sound interface? I'm sure they are fine but people just paying for the name at that point.

earwig83

04 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Mar 2021

Contrary to your feelings about it, I hope to see more like this. Hook us up with deals! Continue to surprise me with something other than Reason related offers which I am most of the time already very aware of. Maybe next time it will be a coupon for a mic, a free plugin, etc...
Absolutely fair as there are different strokes for different folks. But as someone who consumes just as much as the next person, I don't like the idea of having to further sort my email now if these emails increase. And the opt in/out won't make it easy for me to be selective, as is common practice (I work in marketing and familiar with the vague terminology used in opt in/out check boxes).

That said, as a discerning consumer, I am perfectly capable of finding deals on my own and actually, the coupon is not much of a deal if you do a snapshot of what's out there as the price of those headphones are definitely inflated and personally, I don't see value in Bluetooth devices for DAW production work. But again, I solicited other people's opinions and you shared yours, which I can respect. Thanks for your reply!

earwig83

04 Mar 2021

oh a link to the page and the code for those of you who may want to take advantage:

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/ca/e ... =monitorii

code: marshall-100

though expiration date confuses me...
*The campaign is valid until midnight 02/04/2021. The coupon code is only valid on Monitor II A.N.C. headphones and cannot be combined with additional coupon codes or other offers.

MannequinRaces

04 Mar 2021

Super lame marketing. Sell me Reason stuff.

miscend

04 Mar 2021

I didn't get the email. And I thought they only made guitar amps.

PhillipOrdonez

04 Mar 2021

earwig83 wrote:
04 Mar 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Mar 2021

It's fine for you, for now. But you yourself just stated where you draw the line. Music production related marketing. But that's not actually what we signe dup for (in good faith).

Next step, they will stretch it further and start marketing some lame third party cloud service. Or maybe they market 5 hour energy drinks so you can stay up and make more music! What about slippers to keep your feet warm under the mixing console? Where do we draw the line? lol

The point I was making is that I don't explicitly consent to them trying to expose me to brands or marketing material I don't want to see. Especially in my email. But of course, the legal mumbo jumbo of the EULA or opt in checkboxes will obviously say they can do whatever they want but I think this is a problem.

It shows just how much RS is no longer the same company and it has been captured by the Verdane Capital bean counting vampires. I believe you will too will come to the same conclusion in time. Your threshold is just different. And that's fine for the time being.

As far as your last line, you are right, I don't need them. :) Why would anyone need $400+ dollar Bluetooth headphones (that aren't from the bigger and more established professional headphone companies). Is it even practical to work with bluetooth when using a DAW and proper sound interface? I'm sure they are fine but people just paying for the name at that point.
Yeah Bluetooth headphones with noise cancelling are only good for producing on airplanes. That's true.

I get what you're saying. And I get the sentiment, but given my threshold is not the same as yours, I'm good. For now.

Later on, if they start pushing things from non music production related brands and stuff, I'll just unsubscribe...

stratatonic

04 Mar 2021

miscend wrote:
04 Mar 2021
They make fridges too
Where's my coupon for that? :lol:
Marshall-Fridge-1.jpg
Marshall-Fridge-1.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 2880 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

I didn’t get the email.

Must be because I unsubscribed yesterday. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Kalm

05 Mar 2021

It kinda threw me off. Who wants these headphones? It's not like they teamed up with Sennheiser, AKG, etc. I wouldn't mind the emails as long as it makes sense. This one was just stupid.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Aosta

05 Mar 2021

The last marketing email I got was on the 28th of Feb titled

'TIME’S ALMOST UP: Super savings on synths' about the current discounts on REs

Maybe there is something in your account preferences about 3rd party spam?
Tend the flame

Mataya

05 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Mar 2021

Of course you do.

M

WillyOD

05 Mar 2021

I got this e-mail (not on my primary but only secondary Reason account) and was disappointed/interested at the same time because... me and my friend got the first or maybe the second version of these Marshall headphones (actually it's a headset with a microphone) and they have surprisingly clear (non-coloring) sound when used for listening my own music (just remove the weird filters they've installed in both ears): they sound eerily similar to my KRK speaker setup.

Of course I wouldn't recommend these for long sessions, after two hours you will feel the plastic in your ears. Also 299€ - 30%, yikes, not worth it! I bought my headset on sale for 69 EUR iirc, which is about the right price for these, you probably shouldn't pay more than 100-129€. Maybe this is super-improved model (I doubt it) and I don't know how the added Bluetooth works. Mine has two stereo miniplugs so you can "pass-through" the music you're listening, which is kinda cool but I've used it maybe twice. Also both my friend's and mine headset is broken (he got his replaced, my left speaker is just connected with the spring wire, it's hanging loose so I have to wear a hat if I want to use them).

They're ok headset for listening your own songs at random times for short intervals and doing a little gaming: that's about it.

Still rocking AKG K271 MKII here when I need actual headphones.

Also please, not these kind of marketing deals or just create a separate mailing list for them, ok, Propsies?
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

motuscott

05 Mar 2021

Do Marshall cans sound like Marshall amps?
Crank them shits up to 11 cos I'm about to mix me a Hit Rekkord!!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Skimrok

05 Mar 2021

:exclamation: BREAKING NEWS :exclamation:

Delete it and move on :lol: takes a second :geek:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

jam-s

05 Mar 2021

Yuck! That's an ugly looking pair of headphones with that fake leather optic.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

Skimrok wrote:
05 Mar 2021

That's like 4 seconds a week. It all adds up man.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

orthodox
RE Developer

05 Mar 2021

MrFigg wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Skimrok wrote:
05 Mar 2021

That's like 4 seconds a week. It all adds up man.
One day it may break the camel's back.

Aosta

05 Mar 2021

motuscott wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Do Marshall cans sound like Marshall amps?
Crank them shits up to 11 cos I'm about to mix me a Hit Rekkord!!
Tend the flame

BRIGGS

05 Mar 2021

What.....No tubes?

r11s

bxbrkrz

05 Mar 2021

I would not mind getting some deal from RS to get one.

What Reason module would look cool as a mini fridge, or a microwave?

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

motuscott

05 Mar 2021

Optic Multi Channel Analyzer in oscilloscope mode
Microwaving some fat beats
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

miscend

06 Mar 2021

stratatonic wrote:
04 Mar 2021
miscend wrote:
04 Mar 2021
They make fridges too
Where's my coupon for that? :lol:
Marshall-Fridge-1.jpg
Yeah I would have preferred a discount on the fridge. And I hope those jack plugs and knobs all do something.

• Information