Polystep Sequencer....I just don't get it!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
david1806

25 Jul 2021

Hi all
Are there any decent tutorials for the PS? I have read the manual, but I still don't get it's function. Reason is itself a sequencer - I'm just not getting what PS does that I can't just do in the main sequencer. OK, so you can set the key and scale...surely there is more to it than that. The Scales and Chords player does all that. I know that I'm being a dumb ass, apologies for that, but if someone could point me to the way of a video or webpage that explains it, I would be most grateful!

Thanks!

PhillipOrdonez

25 Jul 2021

If you don't want to use the main sequencer, you can use it, and in addition to other players, you can run several instruments with the same players and combinations of them. A lot of people like writing in the rack alone and that player is a tool one can use for that purpose. Then on the main sequencer you can automate pattern changes, for example, and arrange your song, for example.

VIVIsect

25 Jul 2021

I never use Polystep just because I've always found it super annoying to draw in notes. Why double click? Why such a lag for the note to appear? Why do I sometimes have to click 4 or 5 times for the note to appear? If it were more like Drum Sequencer in that regard, I would probably actually use it more.

david1806

25 Jul 2021

AHA!! The penny has finally dropped! It can create little riffs for you basically, especially with using the Height and Form buttons. It is actually pretty cool!

Next ones to work out are the Quad-thingy and the Potato Mutato one.....

Thanks all.... :)

BRIGGS

25 Jul 2021

david1806 wrote:
25 Jul 2021
AHA!! The penny has finally dropped! It can create little riffs for you basically, especially with using the Height and Form buttons. It is actually pretty cool!

I'd say... each has its own way of working with notes.

Combine them together, for amazing results. :puf_smile:
r11s

challism

29 Jul 2021

david1806 wrote:
25 Jul 2021

Took me a long time to warm up to Quad Note Generator. I like it much better now, but it remains one of my least favorite players.
PolyStep is good, but I prefer RB's Sequences... no contest. But PolyStep has some unique things I like. Glad to hear you figured it out.

Potato Mutato! ha ha ha
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information