Do you have any fun or exciting ideas for the new Combinator?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

23 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
23 Aug 2021
So I can't be the only person who watched the review of the combinator 2 so can we just actually talk about it?
Lol not a review. It's in beta. No videos exist anymore :lol:

You can talk about it in the beta forum!
Well I'm not in the beta community nor do I speak German ;) but I definitely watched the video :lol:

However I will respect your ruling on the subject and keep my observations for another day..

joeyluck

23 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
23 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2021

You can talk about it in the beta forum!
Well I'm not in the beta community nor do I speak German ;) but I definitely watched the video :lol:

However I will respect your ruling on the subject and keep my observations for another day..
Yeah keep your observations for the real thing lol!

All of these people posting crappy, premature review videos, who are oblivious to beta agreements until they are busted, are of course the ones who don't know what they heck they are doing, who spend 20 minutes ranting about a missing feature that is already there. Of course, they are also the ones who get access to the beta, and then aren't involved in the beta forum.

I always find it funny that so many of the beta testers are made up of new users who seem to have spent very little time talking about Reason on the internet. Then we have users here who spend time all day in a Reason forum, who seem to be the most anxious to know more, who say they aren't interested in beta testing? :lol:

Billy+

23 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
23 Aug 2021

Yeah keep your observations for the real thing lol!

All of these people posting crappy, premature review videos, who are oblivious to beta agreements until they are busted, are of course the ones who don't know what they heck they are doing, who spend 20 minutes ranting about a missing feature that is already there. Of course, they are also the ones who get access to the beta, and then aren't involved in the beta forum.

I always find it funny that so many of the beta testers are made up of new users who seem to have spent very little time talking about Reason on the internet. Then we have users here who spend time all day in a Reason forum, who seem to be the most anxious to know more, who say they aren't interested in beta testing? :lol:
It's unfortunate that the beta environment interferes with a production system and had the system requirements remained the same I definitely would have participated in beta testing but as I didn't want to have the hassle or have access to a secondary device I have done the decent thing and not even logged in to the beta forum.

Which is a shame as I had plenty of time to play with the beta and provide feedback and coming from a system and software support background where I regularly needed to produce review documents along with training materials means Im fairly adapt to do so.

CMBv2 still looks like the most interesting features of V12 though :clap:

joeyluck

23 Aug 2021

I'm beta testing and completing work daily with Reason stable version. I don't have any issues with doing both on the same system.

Billy+

23 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2021
I'm beta testing and completing work daily with Reason stable version. I don't have any issues with doing both on the same system.
I'm running El Capitan and can't upgrade without loosing the EiE Pro audio interface that I currently have due to the driver not being updated, upgrading to the current os requirements will require a new audio interface which isn't financially a problem just hassle that I wasn't prepared to commit to just to be an unpaid beta tester :o

joeyluck

23 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
23 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2021
I'm running El Capitan and can't upgrade without loosing the EiE Pro audio interface that I currently have due to the driver not being updated, upgrading to the current os requirements will require a new audio interface which isn't financially a problem just hassle that I wasn't prepared to commit to just to be an unpaid beta tester :o
I don't think I've ever had to use a driver in all the 20+ years I've been on Mac. I didn't even know there existed anything today that requires a driver on macOS...

Billy+

23 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
23 Aug 2021

I don't think I've ever had to use a driver in all the 20+ years I've been on Mac. I didn't even know there existed anything today that requires a driver on macOS...
Yeah it's my own fault, I couldn't resist the big round analog vu meters.
IMG_2105.JPG
IMG_2105.JPG (104.17 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
Should have gone with the 4i4 I was going to buy until I changed my mind, I think I might be able to use it with core audio but will only get 16bit exports from what I've read and until I actually do the upgrade I won't actually know as akai haven't exactly been helpful in reporting the status of the device.

What I do know is currently I can select core audio which is limited to 16 bit exports or the bit accurate driver that gives 24bit exports.

Catblack

23 Aug 2021

nooomy wrote:
23 Aug 2021
Catblack wrote:
23 Aug 2021

Actually, I was going to reply to this thread that my intention for the new combinator is to make an open source (non commercial license) remote codec that will allow one to configure hardware synths. What I plan of building will be just a framework, but should enable anyone to program theirs, if it updates controls via sysex.

I am already using a remote codec to send sysex to update the colors of my launchpad pro. I can also read the track name in Reason and update the layout/scale/rotation/etc of the interface. It's very speedy, too.

Sysex is totally possible in the Remote system. With the new combinator it will possible to have a lot more controls mapped how you'd want it. Imagine using your fave hardware synth and being able to automate it this way.
WOW! awsome im really looking forward to test that!
It may be that it works via sending midi CC, with a mechanism to 'load' via a sysex dump. That seem to be what the things I have here to test with work. I'm fairly certain this is possible to do. The main issue would be being able to decode the sysex 'state' dump from whatever hardware -- the things I have here to test on aren't documented well.

In looking through my codec (for the launchpad pro) that's almost 6 years old now, I see I added loads of comments about the flow of the Remote system. Part of my goal (generally as a diy hobbiest) is to share knowledge, so I'm sure I could edit this in an evening into something that would get someone off to a good start.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Biolumin3sc3nt

23 Aug 2021

Yeah those Youtube videos were pretty retarded!

joeyluck

23 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
23 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2021

IMG_2105.JPG

Should have gone with the 4i4 I was going to buy until I changed my mind, I think I might be able to use it with core audio but will only get 16bit exports from what I've read and until I actually do the upgrade I won't actually know as akai haven't exactly been helpful in reporting the status of the device.

What I do know is currently I can select core audio which is limited to 16 bit exports or the bit accurate driver that gives 24bit exports.
It does look cool. That's interesting, I thought it was going to be some off-brand interface. I would think all Akai stuff wouldn't need drivers.

BonsaiMacKay

23 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
23 Aug 2021

IMG_2105.JPG

It does look cool. That's interesting, I thought it was going to be some off-brand interface. I would think all Akai stuff wouldn't need drivers.
It is a very good interface and it was quite affordable when it was launched nearly 10 years ago. It is true that many audio interfaces are class compliant nowadays, like Focusrite, for example, but some still require the installation of drivers. And when the drivers are not updated, as is the case of the EIE, you either ditch the hardware or the OS upgrade.

Faastwalker

23 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
23 Aug 2021
So I can't be the only person who watched the review of the combinator 2 so can we just actually talk about it?
I saw it but it’s gone now. Posted it here (stupidly :redface: ) and obviously post got deleted. There is another video out there. It’s a Russian guy I think, speaking about Combinator 2 in their native tongue, with a few screen shots occasionally flashed up. I don’t know what part of NDA these guys skipped over. In any case, not long to wait now until we can all get to play around with Combinator 2. I’m super excited.

I no longer have Adobe Photoshop CC to work on backdrops. I had access to Adobe CC through my work but that contract recently ended. Not so keen on paying A$76.99 per month for an CC subscription. You can get just Photoshop for A$14.29 per month, which is still a lot for a casual user. I guess I might be using it more for Combinator 2 backdrops though :D

QVprod

23 Aug 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
23 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2021

I saw it but it’s gone now. Posted it here (stupidly :redface: ) and obviously post got deleted. There is another video out there. It’s a Russian guy I think, speaking about Combinator 2 in their native tongue, with a few screen shots occasionally flashed up. I don’t know what part of NDA these guys skipped over. In any case, not long to wait now until we can all get to play around with Combinator 2. I’m super excited.

I no longer have Adobe Photoshop CC to work on backdrops. I had access to Adobe CC through my work but that contract recently ended. Not so keen on paying A$76.99 per month for an CC subscription. You can get just Photoshop for A$14.29 per month, which is still a lot for a casual user. I guess I might be using it more for Combinator 2 backdrops though :D
There’s always Gimp!

MixerJaexx

23 Aug 2021

Catblack wrote:
23 Aug 2021
I am already using a remote codec to send sysex to update the colors of my launchpad pro. I can also read the track name in Reason and update the layout/scale/rotation/etc of the interface. It's very speedy, too.
I use a Launchpad X, I’d like to hear in more detail how you’re usin’ it in Reason.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

MixerJaexx

24 Aug 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
23 Aug 2021
I no longer have Adobe Photoshop CC to work on backdrops.
Been using Photoshop (and Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator) since I was 13 years old (long time), but I starting doing 80% of my art in Procreate seven years ago. Two years ago I stopped using Photoshop for Affinity Photo and Procreate and stopped using Illustrator for Affinity Designer. Procreate is only for iPadOS, but Affinity Photo runs on macOS, Windows(!) and iPadOS (pick up on Mac, continue on iPad and visa-versa). And zero subscription.

I created the first image for jaexx.com using Affinity Designer on my iPad.

I created my Sound-sized Treats album artwork with Procreate and Affinity Photo on my iPad.

Not only have I created new Combinator backdrops with Affinity Photo on my iPad (syncing to my Windows desktop via Google Drive), but I’m even able to open existing Photoshop Combinator files to update existing backdrops.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

Faastwalker

24 Aug 2021

QVprod wrote:
23 Aug 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
23 Aug 2021
There’s always Gimp!
There is. I’ve used it before. It was a little clunky, being used to Photoshop. But it’s a fantastic free option. Actually, just remembered there is also this free online Photoshop like tool. Not sure how the creator gets away with this. It’s basically Photoshop in a web browser;

https://www.photopea.com/

Faastwalker

24 Aug 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
24 Aug 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
23 Aug 2021
I no longer have Adobe Photoshop CC to work on backdrops.
Been using Photoshop (and Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator) since I was 13 years old (long time), but I starting doing 80% of my art in Procreate seven years ago. Two years ago I stopped using Photoshop for Affinity Photo and Procreate and stopped using Illustrator for Affinity Designer. Procreate is only for iPadOS, but Affinity Photo runs on macOS, Windows(!) and iPadOS (pick up on Mac, continue on iPad and visa-versa). And zero subscription.

Not only have I created new Combinator backdrops with Affinity Photo on my iPad (syncing to my Windows desktop via Google Drive), but I’m even able to open existing Photoshop Combinator files to update existing backdrops.
Interesting. I have an iPad Air with ProCreate. Never occurred to me it would be useful in this context. I should play around with it some more. I’ll check out the Affinity Apps as well :thumbs_up:

dhruan

24 Aug 2021

+1 for Affinity apps, I bought them for personal use and haven't missed Photoshop or Illustrator one bit (use them at work occasionally though).

As for Combinator 2, it is worth the wait and then some. I highly recommend taking part in the beta if you haven't already.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

friday

24 Aug 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
21 Aug 2021
reasonstudios.com still hides the RE shop....
I already wondered about that, does anybody know why?

Faastwalker

24 Aug 2021

friday wrote:
24 Aug 2021
MixerJaexx wrote:
21 Aug 2021
reasonstudios.com still hides the RE shop....
I already wondered about that, does anybody know why?
SKP has some ideas about this in the video below, although I hope he’s wrong about a lot of this stuff! :?

selig
RE Developer

24 Aug 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
23 Aug 2021
I never use photoshop as my primary editor for Combinator backdrops or RE panels. I only use it to correct flaws or add “dirt” to images. I prefer a vector based app (currently using Graphic) for layout because I change my mind too often!

And yes I DO have a few ideas for Combinator 2 projects (thanks for asking), which you may be seeing some of shortly…. 😏
Selig Audio, LLC

Faastwalker

24 Aug 2021

selig wrote:
24 Aug 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
23 Aug 2021
I never use photoshop as my primary editor for Combinator backdrops or RE panels. I only use it to correct flaws or add “dirt” to images. I prefer a vector based app (currently using Graphic) for layout because I change my mind too often!

And yes I DO have a few ideas for Combinator 2 projects (thanks for asking), which you may be seeing some of shortly…. 😏
That got me thinking - how will hi-res handle our DIY Combinator backdrops? Not sure how that works.

I’m looking forward to see what you and everyone else has been doing with Combinator 2.0 :thumbs_up:

Popey
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2021

I havent seen the combi 2 yet but am hoping that it enables me to set up various instrument/effects within a combi in the rack that I can then map to different chains in live's effect rack with customisable Macro's. Not sure if this is technically fun or exciting but will be beneficial workflow wise for me.

selig
RE Developer

25 Aug 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
24 Aug 2021
selig wrote:
24 Aug 2021

That got me thinking - how will hi-res handle our DIY Combinator backdrops? Not sure how that works.

I’m looking forward to see what you and everyone else has been doing with Combinator 2.0 :thumbs_up:
Simple - by using high res backdrops. Backdrops will be 5x bigger, so 754 px wide becomes 3770 px.
Selig Audio, LLC

w1pl0c

25 Aug 2021

probably a long shot, but I would like the combinator to do 4 things I don't think Ive seen mentioned:

Momentary and toggle modes for combi 2 buttons
mouse click shortcut for mapping parameters to combi 2 controls
Unlimited Combi 2 program/matrix slots

• Information