Do you have any fun or exciting ideas for the new Combinator?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deeplink
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2021

Would you like to share what ideas you have for the combinator 2?

Personally, I can think of the following;
- VST replications, e.g RC-20
- One-stop shop multieffect, e.g similar to Ryan's stompbox
- Multiband effects
- Midi / Synth device replications

Just to name a few.

Do you have more ideas or specific use cases?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2021

I will be turning all my kick and snare combinators into full devices with a lot more adjustable parameters.

We'll see how in depth it is.. can't wait to try it out.

chimp_spanner

19 Aug 2021

Exclusive button groups: assign multiple buttons/switches to a group and only one can be active for multi mode selection

A utility class device that can take a “tap” of an audio or CV value and display it in a panel object (additionally/optionally display readout for controls).

Momentary buttons/trigger pads that can output MIDI notes or values.

More controllers and widgets in general; XY, 2 and 3 way switches, ribbon strips, panners.

^ I misunderstood and made feature suggestions instead haha. Whoops.
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 19 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.

artotaku

19 Aug 2021

A combinator in Elektron Model:Cycles style that hosts an FM synth for one instrument type (Kick, Snare, Metal, Perc, Tone, Chord) that has at least the following controls
  • Pitch
  • Decay
  • Color
  • Shape
  • Sweep
  • Contour
  • Delay Send
  • Reverb Send
  • LFO Speed
  • Volume/Dist
This wasn´t possible with Combi one since limited to four rotaries. The workarounds by using CV inputs and CV utility devices was a bit cumbersome.

MixerJaexx

19 Aug 2021

I plan on converting nearly all of my Combinator devices into the new version in order to increase or decrease the controls. Some of the suggestions people are making I’ve already done with current Combinators, but in order to keep things focused on the Combinator front panel (great for controlling from universal controllers), I ended up creating multiple versions of a Combinator device with different settings. So a device called “MJ Destructobot” might have two versions: “MJ Destructobot (Curved)” and “MJ Destructobot (Squared)”, notating different LFO properties (due to not having enough front panel controls to change LFO settings). With the new Combinator, I can create mode switches (and additional features) so that I can consolidate these different versions into one type.

As others have said, I also want to take a “hardware inspired” focus on laying out the controls (even if it means something simple like using a horizontal fader versus a rotary knob). We don’t know yet how much options we can have, but I have a certain ascetic I’d like to match; my custom modular synth. Of my various different modules in my modular synth, I’ve tried to unify everything to make it all look like one synth. I’ve replaced knobs, faders, custom pained panels (not yet painted in the older photo below), custom printed panels, color-coded jacks (and only use Reason-colored wires, yellow for CV, green effects, blue multi-inputs, etc as you can see in the photo below).

I’d like to do something similar in converting my new devices to the Combinator 2.0 format. Be cool if I can change the knobs to be more like my modular synth (The Echo knobs would be perfect). Create something that, when I have people over, they see my modular synth and recognize a similar vibe in my Combinator devices in the Reason rack.

As far as other exciting ideas, I’m waiting until the Combinator 2’s features are announced before thinking about taking my devices to the next-level. Totally excited though.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

BRIGGS

19 Aug 2021

I'm still trying to figure out how it works. :lol:
r11s

joeyluck

19 Aug 2021

Once it's launched, I was definitely thinking of creating a thread for VST Combinator conversions (not to be confused with the old thread which attempted to recreate VSTs using Combinators and built-in devices).

I was also curious if maybe the new Combinator will be worthy of its own forum 🤔 But otherwise, it would continue to be a part of the "ReFills, Patches, and Sound Packs" forum.

rcbuse
RE Developer

19 Aug 2021

I hope that the new combinator brings forth a whole new era of refills. Refills full of new devices!

Futz

19 Aug 2021

An assignable action to flip the rack - just like in the Rack Plugin.
As a touch user having to go into the menu, or set up a midi controller using key2Midi is a huge pain.
Especially when it exists in the other half of the very same program.

Some kind of assignable actions to interact with the timeline, - could easily create a kind of roll your own Ableton Session View

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2021

I plan on making some generative patches that make use of the added CV inputs on the back. I’ve fallen down the procedural ambient rabbit-hole and I think this update will be perfect. Sound-shaping on the front panel, note control on the back panel.

Stamatz

20 Aug 2021

I look so foward to building a great Rebirth patch.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

Creativemind

20 Aug 2021

Stamatz wrote:
20 Aug 2021
:clap:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

BRIGGS

20 Aug 2021

Stamatz wrote:
20 Aug 2021
Imagine if they added the rebirth 303 knobs to the new combinator! :puf_smile:

r11s

Chi-Individual

20 Aug 2021

I just attempted to make an 8 grain drum sampler with faders to mix (basic volume) inside the combinator. Set a few key ranges to get an octave of certain hits like 808s and toms etc. Then played around with each Grain using drum sequencers for each, each DS with key ranges set. And that was just messing around. Been wanting this update for years. Happy so far.

thefixr

20 Aug 2021

I will be making synths out of Pulsars.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

Chi-Individual

20 Aug 2021

thefixr wrote:
20 Aug 2021
I will be making synths out of Pulsars.
Why did you put this idea in my head? Now I’ll be spending all my time making combinator instruments. This place is a horrible influence :lol:

Gardinski

20 Aug 2021

rcbuse wrote:
19 Aug 2021
I hope that the new combinator brings forth a whole new era of refills. Refills full of new devices!
This was my first thought too... especially after seeing Ryan's sneak preview. A true Refill Renaissance could be a wonderful thing.

As a guitarist, I'm really looking forward to building vast multi-FX units, chaining together a bunch of Kuassa's and Turn2On's offerings in weird and wonderful combinations (plus a generous smattering of Messrs 'Panda' and 'Bean').

It's my neighbours I feel sorry for... The regular 2 am blasts of crazy inspiration have a tendency to set their dogs off. I predict I'm going to be VERY unpopular with them, come the first of September. :puf_bigsmile:

joeyluck

20 Aug 2021

Just a reminder that general discussion is ok, but please refrain from discussion regarding specifics if you are testing (i.e what you've made during testing, features you'd like to see added based on the current beta build, etc).

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Aug 2021

64 cv inputs on the back?

Aquila

21 Aug 2021

I'll be making custom MIDI-out devices for each of my synths with more than one (!) knob for CC controls that I can use with my controller.

DaveyG

21 Aug 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
20 Aug 2021
Now I’ll be spending all my time making combinator instruments. This place is a horrible influence :lol:
You won't be alone. Based on the rather excellent expanded Combinator I suspect quite a lot of people will be making more combis and less music for a while! I've never been a big combi user but even I am messing around with the new one. :clap: :clap: :clap:

nooomy

21 Aug 2021

I will recreate the Mutronics Mutator

How are the filters? Are there high quality analog like moog and roland filters?

Also is it possible to send sysex via midi out?

bitley

21 Aug 2021

nooomy wrote:Also is it possible to send sysex via midi out?
Lol! Reason has absolutely zero Sysex compability. When I think Sysex I think Atari days, which is why I've kept an ST for many years, powerful as ever in its own world.

SebAudio

21 Aug 2021

I hope the height of the new combinator isn’t fixed so we can « normal sized » devices.
Also proper (not « generic ») names for controls with Remote and automation.

QVprod

21 Aug 2021

Given Ryan’s teaser, refills are likely to skyrocket back into relevance. Looking forward to the creations.

• Information