Why R12 has got me a little worried ...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
huggermugger

07 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
07 Sep 2021
huggermugger wrote:
07 Sep 2021
It's annoying that they don't clarify what upgrading from R11 Suite to R12 means. You read the list of what's in R12, and of course it includes nothing from the Suite bundle. So, if I upgrade to R12, do I still have my Suite Bundle? Yes, I think so, but Props ain't saying, and their chaotic incremental release of R12/R+ confuses the issue even more. Add to this the many significant bugs being reported and the outcome is one seriously flawed, premature upgrade. No thanks, not for months will I go there.
In no case would an upgrade cause you to lose licenses you own. That wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Suite was just a Reason license with bundled REs. The REs are yours to keep.
Yeah, I get that, but it's not at all clear on their website, and the number of people who've been asking about it, some quite angry, is an indication of Props poor communication in this matter.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

huggermugger wrote:
07 Sep 2021

Yeah, I get that, but it's not at all clear on their website, and the number of people who've been asking about it, some quite angry, is an indication of Props poor communication in this matter.
I don't think it's been poorly communicated, I just think a few past decisions have broken trust.

Reason 11 lite had an update that removed a lot of stock devices.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

huggermugger wrote:
07 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
07 Sep 2021

In no case would an upgrade cause you to lose licenses you own. That wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Suite was just a Reason license with bundled REs. The REs are yours to keep.
If you upgrade you’ll keep all your REs from suite.
If you decide in the future to sell your Reason License, whatever version you’re on, you’ll lose all you Suite REs.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

musicman691

08 Sep 2021

kuhliloach wrote:
07 Sep 2021
A Reason 12 license came with my Reason 11 upgrade but I haven't bothered to install it. Garageband/Logic, and the occasional Ableton session do all I need so unless there is some weird circumstance I don't really use it much any more. Nobody I know uses it so using the Rack plug-in in a project is a bad idea unless I freeze before collaboration. With all the comments going on I see a great reason to not use it: sanity.
It used to be there was a 'Reason sound' but with all the great synths and samplers out there that there's not much in the Reason world that's unique anymore. You want synths? There's plenty of granular and wavetable synths out there. Samplers? Kontakt and Falcon are but two. For RS to stumble like this is sad. They've lost their edge. Reason as a daw? Fuhgeddaboutit.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

nooomy

08 Sep 2021

I knew this this type of things would happen after they we bought by The investor company verdane. Verdane is all about maximising value and profit. Product quality always comes second.

https://verdane.com/holdings/reasonstudios/

kitekrazy

08 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
07 Sep 2021
people paid $ to buy Reason with the devices that were included in Suite at the time. expecting to get every new device from that point forward is awfully naive from a consumer perspective.
I guess you've never checked other developers. It's not unusual and often the norm to get people to upgrade by adding something new. At least you don't lose those licensees that came with the Suite.

It's doesn't really bother me they didn't include something new and great they updated certain items.

I find that as a casual user Reason Suite is a little bit overwhelming with choices.

kitekrazy

08 Sep 2021

nooomy wrote:
08 Sep 2021
I knew this this type of things would happen after they we bought by The investor company verdane. Verdane is all about maximising value and profit. Product quality always comes second.

https://verdane.com/holdings/reasonstudios/
Just be thankful Gibson didn't acquire them.

guitfnky

08 Sep 2021

kitekrazy wrote:
08 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
07 Sep 2021
people paid $ to buy Reason with the devices that were included in Suite at the time. expecting to get every new device from that point forward is awfully naive from a consumer perspective.
I guess you've never checked other developers. It's not unusual and often the norm to get people to upgrade by adding something new. At least you don't lose those licensees that came with the Suite.

It's doesn't really bother me they didn't include something new and great they updated certain items.

I find that as a casual user Reason Suite is a little bit overwhelming with choices.
adding something new that a developer throws in as a bonus, yes, but I would never expect that. I buy what I want at the time. if they don’t give me more later on, that’s perfectly understandable, but if they decide to throw something else in later, I’m certainly not complaining.

and even as a fairly heavy Reason user, the amount of stuff in Suite is still overwhelming. 😅
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Rompla

09 Sep 2021

Have reason 11 suite don’t expect every new RE now there is reason 12 but DID expect every new instrument in the reason 11 release window as that as what it seem to be marketed would love the pattern mutator not so fussed about algorithm
I see it’s not in the R12 release either just the +
IMO bad promotion of the facts — maybe they should have offered a discount for suite owners
But we move on - R12 is here and let’s go enjoy bugs n all

Heater

10 Sep 2021

Reason 11 was released 25 September 2019. Genuinely makes me wonder what have the been doing for the last 2 years.

Loque

10 Sep 2021

Heater wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Reason 11 was released 25 September 2019. Genuinely makes me wonder what have the been doing for the last 2 years.
The HD graphics needed around 2 years of redevelopment of the UI.

And they did some updates, improvements, new tools, ...
Reason12, Win10

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

Heater wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Friktion
Complex
Algoritm
Mimic
Combinator 2
HD support
- Including rewriting the rack and its devices to use the GPU
- Updating all stock devices (which may have involved also writing new scripts for the controls to use the new SDK)
- Lots of testing
- - And lots more testing (different GPUs, different drivers, etc.)
R&D (basically stuff that could become new and innovative new devices or workflow improvements, or completely dropped if it doesn't work out)
VST3 support
Features you don't yet know about
Features on the roadmap but required a little extra time

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Heater wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Friktion
Complex
Algoritm
Mimic
Combinator 2
HD support
- Including rewriting the rack and its devices to use the GPU
- Updating all stock devices (which may have involved also writing new scripts for the controls to use the new SDK)
- Lots of testing
- - And lots more testing (different GPUs, different drivers, etc.)
R&D (basically stuff that could become new and innovative new devices or workflow improvements, or completely dropped if it doesn't work out)
VST3 support
Features you don't yet know about
Features on the roadmap but required a little extra time
And two of my personal favorite devices! Pattern Mutator and Beatmap! :-)

Creativemind

10 Sep 2021

He hasn't got Reason Suite though, he's got Reason 11 Suite, where's the confusion? Mimic was a Reason 12 device. Does he think he's gonna get all Reason instruments that Reason make going forward? he isn't on the subscription model.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jlgrimes

10 Sep 2021

scotward57 wrote:
07 Sep 2021
When R11 Suite was announced, it was expected that there would be a premium tier going forward. But when RS fell in love with a subscription idea, they knew that having an R12 suite would kill sales for R+. Besides, going forward, there's going to be a far less need for REs. The new combinator and sound packs will deal a severe blow to the RE community. I hate the direction but it is where RS is going.

If you think about it, RS is most likely intending to be bought out by one of the DAW motherships. Apple and the Logic Universe is where RS is headed IMO.
There would be some majorly pissed users if Reason got bought by Apple. Especially if everything got rolled into Logic.

Pepin

10 Sep 2021

Heater wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I have to disagree with that sentiment. Ever since Reason 10, upgrades have all felt much more significant to me than they did around Reason 7-9.
Reason 12 needed a couple more months in the oven, but the feature list is great on paper.

I just wish RS would prioritize existing bugs and polish more than they are currently. They could also lay off the constantly shifting marketing strategies (suite, subscription, renaming).

It's also worth keeping in mind there was/is a global pandemic for the majority of the two years you mention.

DaveyG

10 Sep 2021

jlgrimes wrote:
10 Sep 2021
There would be some majorly pissed users if Reason got bought by Apple. Especially if everything got rolled into Logic.
That would actually be the final push I need to persuade me to splash the cash on a Mac. I'm already excited about where the M1 stuff will lead and I always make sure any software I buy runs on the Mac I might buy tomorrow as well as the Windows PC I use today.

And Apple, love 'em or hate 'em, are one of the few companies who understand that software has a soul and they would try to maintain and enhance that. Most of the other candidates would destroy Reason within a couple of versions, either by underinvestment or by failing to keep hold of the key developers.

Or maybe we need the latter scenario where key people leave and set up a rival company. The roots of Studio One lie with ex-Steinberg employees and, I think, Bitwig was ex-Ableton people. Maybe it needs some disruption.

mbs

11 Sep 2021

the propeller was always good. the head not so much. now the propeller is thrown out, so too much head and not enough propeller.
Last edited by mbs on 11 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

exxx

11 Sep 2021

All policies are made only for the benefit of the company and are only going the worse way while fanboys advocate for it.

The level of update that they do is not something to be thankful for, but a rate to be ashamed of. In this industry, only Reason users are lagging behind, and 12 are doing stupid things to glorify that.

Once they make a suit, they should at least maintain a business policy for a few years. I'm just thinking of selling it once and then selling it again. Who will trust the company and pay for it? What's the policy that doesn't last two years? That's just a scam.

MannequinRaces

11 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
08 Sep 2021
huggermugger wrote:
07 Sep 2021

If you decide in the future to sell your Reason License, whatever version you’re on, you’ll lose all you Suite REs.
This is false. You will not lose your Suite REs.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
08 Sep 2021

So the REs aren’t tied to Suite? As I understood it you’re selling a Suite license which is Reason plus the REs.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

11 Sep 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
08 Sep 2021

how would you keep your Suite REs if you sell your Suite license?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
08 Sep 2021

Supersplaron a little down the page in this post confirms that if you sell your Suite license then the REs are transferred with it. I’m guessing he knows. Right?
viewtopic.php?t=7518189
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

11 Sep 2021

I think there might just be confusion here for some between Suite 11 REs being available to an account (e.g. being able to use them in R10 or R12) and transferring with the sale of a Suite 11 license.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I think there might just be confusion here for some between Suite 11 REs being available to an account (e.g. being able to use them in R10 or R12) and transferring with the sale of a Suite 11 license.
I’m certainly not confused Joe.
I said:
“If you upgrade you’ll keep all your REs from suite.
If you decide in the future to sell your Reason License, whatever version you’re on, you’ll lose all your Suite REs.”

Manequinraces replied
“This is false. You will not lose your Suite REs.”

My statement however wasn’t false as Supersplaron confirmed in the post I linked.

“THIS IS FALSE!!!!!” Hahahahahaha. Excellent.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information