Recording midi to multiple tracks simultaneously?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Libraquaricorn

03 Nov 2021

Hi there good folks, long time no see.
I was just wondering if there is an easy way to record midi to multiple tracks at the same time? I'm working on a track in Reason 11 and I want to improvise an evolving bass line that I need to quadruple as melodic synth lines in the background, but when I copy and paste the midi in to the other tracks, I feel my perfomance would be so much better if I could hear what's going on across all 4 synths while I'm performing. I'm doing this alongside a percussion audio track from my "modular" collaborator, so the project overall is not exactly in sync...
I'm also in a bit of a hurry so I'm not too keen on rewiring the whole thing either. I need to finish this and move on to the next track...

This should be possible in 2021, right?

Peace!

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

It has always been a limit that Reason only records one Track at a time. Mostly that is not an issue but sometimes it is.

Whether it should be possible or not is beyond sense. Reason is as it is. Reaper will do "record many tracks at once" if you can live with the greater complexity that is Reaper.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

NostraDAWmus

03 Nov 2021

It´s not all about RECORDING !

A pro software like Reason should allow PLAYING multiple Reason devices (and VSTs) on different tracks/MIDI channels simultaneously !
It would make it a nice tone generator device for live MIDI keyboard rigs.
And in addition, it required response to MIDI - bank- and program change commands.

Why is that so difficult ?
It´s also the pre-condition to make the VST3 RRP a fully pro device when used in other host apps.

And the argument "VST3 is not for MIDI program changes" doesn´t count.
Other companies make MIDI- bank AND program changes possible even w/ VST3 ...

U-he w/ their solution of "MIDI banks", Arturia w/ a similar solution too,- and Cherry Audio does it directly to my surprise.
Not to forget to mention the NI Kontakt Multi-Rack ...

This is Reason MIDI underworld !
Receiving MIDI data on multiple MIDi channles and MIDI program changes exist since MIDI pioneer times in the early 80s !

P.

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

Um, Reason is as Reason is. If it does not cover things you think are vital, or core to your lifestyle, move to something that does this. Or all you do is create stress (or excuses) that diminish your ability to deliver great work.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

Libraquaricorn wrote:
03 Nov 2021
Hi there good folks, long time no see.
I was just wondering if there is an easy way to record midi to multiple tracks at the same time? I'm working on a track in Reason 11 and I want to improvise an evolving bass line that I need to quadruple as melodic synth lines in the background, but when I copy and paste the midi in to the other tracks, I feel my perfomance would be so much better if I could hear what's going on across all 4 synths while I'm performing. I'm doing this alongside a percussion audio track from my "modular" collaborator, so the project overall is not exactly in sync...
I'm also in a bit of a hurry so I'm not too keen on rewiring the whole thing either. I need to finish this and move on to the next track...

This should be possible in 2021, right?

Peace!
Do you mean different synths playing the same bassline in unison?
MIDI-CV Converter or the free Panda one?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

drloop

04 Nov 2021

That use case is simply fixed by using a combinator? Or am I missing anything?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

drloop wrote:
04 Nov 2021
That use case is simply fixed by using a combinator? Or am I missing anything?
I thought that too. Using the REs though you can just print to MIDI. He wants the MIDI on separate tracks without having to cut and paste.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Libraquaricorn

04 Nov 2021

Benedict wrote:
03 Nov 2021
It has always been a limit that Reason only records one Track at a time. Mostly that is not an issue but sometimes it is.

Whether it should be possible or not is beyond sense. Reason is as it is. Reaper will do "record many tracks at once" if you can live with the greater complexity that is Reaper.

Ok, thanks... now I know...

I figured I could give Panda's CV Player Tap a go, but then I just went and finished the track. Sometimes taking a break does the trick...

StephenHutchinson

04 Nov 2021

Could one not just record the one instrument, take the MIDI note clip and copy-drag it to another instrument's track?
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

Jackjackdaw

04 Nov 2021

This is Reason’s biggest flaw imo. Only able to record one midi track at a time . You can have multiple midi inputs routed to instruments with the advanced Midi thing but you then can’t record the midi. You can route the various instruments to audio tracks and record the audio.

artotaku

04 Nov 2021

Am I missing something here? I have two MIDI keyboards and I can record MIDI notes on two tracks simultaneously. You have to lock each keyboard to a synth (say Thor and Europa) and then hit record. Playing both at the same time records both. There can be only one active MIDI track but you circumvent this by locking the control surface of keyboard to a specific instrument.

More than that... if you have only one keyboard you can duplicate the control surface for the keyboard and lock it to another instrument. You then record two or more tracks simultaneously with just one keyboard.

Grimlucky

04 Nov 2021

This codec still seems to work ok with R12 for multi channel recording:

https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.c ... e.html?m=1

Pepin

04 Nov 2021

artotaku wrote:
04 Nov 2021
More than that... if you have only one keyboard you can duplicate the control surface for the keyboard and lock it to another instrument. You then record two or more tracks simultaneously with just one keyboard.
Right, this is the easiest solution to the OP's question. Once the duplicate control surfaces are set up, you can lock them to additional tracks whenever you want to record multiple at once.

Jackjackdaw

05 Nov 2021

But this only works for hardware controllers. I often want to record the live midi output of players on multiple tracks at once.

jam-s

05 Nov 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
05 Nov 2021
But this only works for hardware controllers. I often want to record the live midi output of players on multiple tracks at once.
You can use the External Midi Out device after the player stack and a virtual midi loopback cable assigned to some "virtual" controllers.

Jackjackdaw

05 Nov 2021

I’m not a fan of midi loop back. Too hacky. RRP into Cubase is the best solution but it kills the buzz when all I want to do is arm some midi tracks and hit record.

artotaku

05 Nov 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
05 Nov 2021
True. And MIDI loopback is a hack. So what we are missing here is a kind of routing menu in the player stack or on the MIDI track where you can target the MIDI track where you want to send the player MIDI data to. Or a special player device that does this (similar to the MIDI output device).

buddard
RE Developer

05 Nov 2021

artotaku wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Jackjackdaw wrote:
05 Nov 2021
True. And MIDI loopback is a hack. So what we are missing here is a kind of routing menu in the player stack or on the MIDI track where you can target the MIDI track where you want to send the player MIDI data to. Or a special player device that does this (similar to the MIDI output device).
Something like this would probably also be needed in order to receive MIDI from VSTs? They could kill two birds with one stone. :D

artotaku

05 Nov 2021

buddard wrote:
05 Nov 2021
artotaku wrote:
05 Nov 2021

Something like this would probably also be needed in order to receive MIDI from VSTs? They could kill two birds with one stone. :D
Yes, a device in the Rack to solve it would be very reasonish. But don´t let the animal welfare activists know.

Avith Ortega

11 Apr 2023

I found this workaround. I know that you can place multiple instruments in one combinator and then play the combinator to play the instruments inside of it. But sometimes I want to play multiple Combinators (they working as instruments) at once, so placing combinators inside combinators is not possible.
What I did is to use the Arpeggiator, CV splitters and one combinator (so I can save the patch). Then you plug the Arp to some CV splitters, then you connect different CV cables to all the instruments you want to use, you have to plug them in the correct setting (Gate, Note, Pitch wheel, Mod Wheel), this is the part that takes a little bit of time (but certainly is much faster than uncombining combinator instruments and plug in all the audio cables and mixers and stuff). In this way you can use the MIDI track of this combinator and it will play all the instruments and combinators you want. You can also record MIDI event s in this track and then copy it to the other instrument tracks if you want.

But I also want to be able to record multiple MIDI tracks with only selecting them from the sequencer, not at dragging cables every single time :/

• Information