which mixer do you use

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
skorn

13 Nov 2021

hi there
i use to work with the 14:2 mixer all the time , but i saw a video with a guy using the mixer that comes when you open a new project
the video is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OabxkCV ... anAsteroid
so in the end what's the best way to work when you want to make a new song ? using the mixer by default , or another mixer like the 14:2 or others mixers?
thanks y'all

gullum

13 Nov 2021

I use the default SSL mixer it has compressor gate eq send return. it's just gives you so much more controls and options over the 14:2 mixer

skorn

13 Nov 2021

ok so i was wrong all the time using the 14:2 mixer
since i have the 11 version of reason i'm totally wrong
and is it easy to get along with ? i mean does it take time to understand this new mixer ?
all these buttons i must say , they are a little scary ..
thanks

challism

13 Nov 2021

I don't really understand the question here. We only have 3 stock mixers from which to choose in Reason (and only one master mixer to use - not choose). I don't think there are very many mixer REs available... fewer than 5 (most of those are better categorized as switches with mixing capability). If I'm building a Comb with lots of audio channels, I use a 14:2 mixer (over the 6 channel mixer). Other than that, I use the SSL mixer.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

13 Nov 2021

I use them all ;)

I like my drums going into individual ssl channels with a group control and a parallel bus when using kong or redum and I use either a line6:2 or mixer14:2 depending on the amount of send returns for the device in question.

There's no right or wrong way just use whatever works for you.....

miyaru

13 Nov 2021

Normally the SSL. But afew weeks ago I made a Combinator which uses a 6:2 Mixer. The Combinator involves a 808 bass with Thor and Kong. The idea was from a Reason Youtube movie I found.
Last edited by miyaru on 13 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

orthodox
RE Developer

13 Nov 2021

I use another DAW (Cakewalk) for mixing. Reason's mixers are inferior.

skorn

14 Nov 2021

ok thanks for all your answers , it helped a lot
now the problem is that i can see for example the redrum rack in the mixer
but for the reverb , for ex the rv7000 i don't see it anywhere ??
with the 14:2 i knew how to deal with it in the mixer , but there ???
i put you the images of my song , and you see the reverb and the mixer , but i can't see the reverb here

thanks for the help

selig
RE Developer

14 Nov 2021

I use the SSL because I like the SSL “experience”. I’ve mixed plenty of big and small projects in Reason, no client from the biggest to the smallest has ever complained about the mixes or the sound quality. I literally have not touched Pro Tools in over 10 years now.
Selig Audio, LLC

motuscott

14 Nov 2021

Tonic or seltzer w lime
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

BumCuddle

14 Nov 2021

Always use the SSL unless it is creating a combinator that requires the others.
On a side note, why do my old tracks seem to sound better running through the 14:2? When I 'update' the track by deleting the 14:2, selecting all devices and creating channels in the SSL even when the channel levels are duplicated it doesn't sound as 'punchy' as the 14:2....or maybe it is some aural conditioning thingy?

skorn

14 Nov 2021

n the channel levels are duplicated it doesn't sound as 'punchy' as the 14:2
good to know
i'm gonna compare both of them but if it's really true , then i'll go back with my old 14:2
thanks for the info

moofi

14 Nov 2021

Did you phase-invert-cancellation-check it?
BumCuddle wrote:
14 Nov 2021
On a side note, why do my old tracks seem to sound better running through the 14:2? When I 'update' the track by deleting the 14:2, selecting all devices and creating channels in the SSL even when the channel levels are duplicated it doesn't sound as 'punchy' as the 14:2....or maybe it is some aural conditioning thingy?

moofi

14 Nov 2021

What mixer are you referring to? The mix channel, when he creates an instrument?
skorn wrote:
13 Nov 2021
hi there
i use to work with the 14:2 mixer all the time , but i saw a video with a guy using the mixer that comes when you open a new project
the video is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OabxkCV ... anAsteroid
so in the end what's the best way to work when you want to make a new song ? using the mixer by default , or another mixer like the 14:2 or others mixers?
thanks y'all

moofi

14 Nov 2021

I did just check on it. The waves cancel each other out perfectly. So, no difference in sound between the SSL mix channel and the 14:2 mixer.
moofi wrote:
14 Nov 2021
Did you phase-invert-cancellation-check it?
BumCuddle wrote:
14 Nov 2021
Last edited by moofi on 14 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

moofi

14 Nov 2021

And to answer your question, I´m basically SSL only except for using a 6:2 Mixer in routings/Combinators. Haven´t used the 14:2 in quite a while now, though I would if need be.

QVprod

14 Nov 2021

skorn wrote:
13 Nov 2021
ok so i was wrong all the time using the 14:2 mixer
since i have the 11 version of reason i'm totally wrong
and is it easy to get along with ? i mean does it take time to understand this new mixer ?
all these buttons i must say , they are a little scary ..
thanks
There is no “right” answer to this. However, the one that opens by default (SSL) is there to make your life easier. A mixer is a mixer. They all do the same thing, some just have additional functions as the SSL does over the 14:2. You can always just not use the other functions until you know how they work but they won’t get in your way.

Routing a reverb works the same way it does on the 14:2. As a send. The location for routing send fx is on the back of the ‘Master Section’ in the rack view. It’ll automatically route itself to the proper place though if you simply just drag RV7000 to the rack.

Not to be that guy, but the manual should help you understand how this works better.

Billy+

14 Nov 2021

I would like to see the ssl mixer channels be usable inside the CMBv2 rather than the new summing devices.

jam-s

14 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
14 Nov 2021
I would like to see the ssl mixer channels be usable inside the CMBv2 rather than the new summing devices.
As this would not work well within the RRP this won't ever happen.

Billy+

14 Nov 2021

jam-s wrote:
14 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
14 Nov 2021
I don't work with RRP, but you're right "it won't happen"

However why wouldn't it work guess out of curiosity?

Futz

14 Nov 2021

I was pretty happy with how R11 kept tweaking track by track in the rack and fitting it all together in the SSL separate.
While I like R12 the removal of the insert Fx panel from the SSL has wrecked the way I used it.
Tweaking and mixing are different things in my head. I had templates with my own mix combinators set up so I could just concentrate on all the tracks at once, using a touch screen laptop. It wasn't perfect but it was the best laptop touch workflow I have found.
Not any more. Any channel effects tweaks now dumps me back to the rack.
I gather that control hardware people are even more screwed.
I can't see why they couldn't have retained it as optional but with the insert fx panel mapping knobs 1-4 and switches 1-4 in a cmb2 with a button to goto the rack. Rather than just eliminating it.
So as an alternative I have moved to Waves Mixhub. While it's not a 1:1 replacement it's a pretty interesting take on an SSL mixer. It allows you to mix 8 channels per group by 8 groups. I haven't seen this in another plugin before.
While the reason SSL is spotlessly clean, waves have gone the full analogue modelling route and sounds pretty good for it.
Waves plugins are extremely touch friendly - supporting multi-touch in the same way cakewalk does.
The downside is it only supports waves plugins in the mixer inserts where I really would like to keep using the reason effects for CPU efficiency.

jam-s

14 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
14 Nov 2021
jam-s wrote:
14 Nov 2021

In the RRP there is no SSL style mixer and thus no mix channel rack device.

Pepin

14 Nov 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
14 Nov 2021
From what I remember, the 14:2 and 6:2 mixers use +6 dB pan law, while the SSL uses +3 dB. That might explain it.

challism

14 Nov 2021

skorn wrote:
14 Nov 2021
ok thanks for all your answers , it helped a lot
now the problem is that i can see for example the redrum rack in the mixer
but for the reverb , for ex the rv7000 i don't see it anywhere ??
with the 14:2 i knew how to deal with it in the mixer , but there ???
i put you the images of my song , and you see the reverb and the mixer , but i can't see the reverb here

thanks for the help
I can't see the pictures, so I don't entirely know what you are talking about. Are you talking about insert or send effects?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

14 Nov 2021

jam-s wrote:
14 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
14 Nov 2021

In the RRP there is no SSL style mixer and thus no mix channel rack device.
Actually the only thing missing is the channel, all the extras that make the entire strip are now RE's so having the ability to create a cmb with faders per configured and any insert would simply make it easier for you to open your own device setup the way you want :thumbs_up:

• Information