Reason 9.5 input/output dilemma.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Vuce

15 Dec 2021

Anyone can help would be greatly appreciated!

I have an LG Smart TV with HDMI in only plugged into my PC's graphics card ( Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti ) HDMI in. Using Headphone Jack for output as it is the only audio output and routing output socket from said TV Headphone jack to Stereo Mixer channel 8. ( SubZero SZ-MIX08USB 8-Channel USB Mixer/Interface )

I then have the Main Stereo Audio out plugged into external speakers. I have all my audio devices plugged into the mixer and can hear the audio fine through the speakers which is being outputted via Reason 9.5

My goal is to route the audio back into Reason 9.5 input to record all the audio from the mixer which has no more audio outputs. My only current solution is to find a device that enables the HDMI cable to send and receive audio. My biggest fear though is IF I can achieve this will there be a feedback loop? Also in Preferences the DX LG TV (NVIDIA High DEFINITION AUDIO) drivers have no Active input channels which I put down to the HDMI cable only sending audio from the PC and not receiving.

I've also attempted to try ASIO Asio4all v2 drivers and testing the line in/out on the motherboard soundcard but they just keep crashing.

If nobody can find a solution would I need to purchase a dedicated soundcard and new mixer or am I just routing all this totally wrong? I'm looking to see if there is a cheaper workaround with my current setup before purchasing new equipment.

Equipment list:

LG Smart TV.
SubZero SZ-MIX08USB 8-Channel USB Mixer/Interface.
Moog DFAM.
Moog Mother - 32.
Kaossilator Pro+.
Axiom Pro 25.
Asus SABERTOOTH Z170S.

Again any help/workarounds/solutions/questions/suggestions or recommendations on hardware would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Vuce.

(Sorry for the double posts on the matter I forgot I already started one. )

Benedict
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2021

Seeing it is probably well and truly time you had a proper USB Audio Interface, I think that is the answer. It gives you real ASIO and routing audio in/out can be tidier overall.

HDMI does carry audio but it was just never designed for DAW-style audio. It could be very latent and people wouldn't really notice so long and sound & vision stay in-sync. Using it for DAWness could expose a real dilemma - assuming drives were even available to pump audio back into HDMI and then to applications.

I would route synths etc to Mixer. Mixer to Audio Interface. Interface Out to Amp + Speakers - assuming your mixer does not have proper audio Monitor/Tape routing options seeing you did not mention it and seem to have a jury-rigged solution. This prevents feedback.
You can if needed use either sub outs (or nasty cable splitting) to bring some signal back to that desk.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Vuce

16 Dec 2021

Thank you Benedict for your prompt reply. I thought I would create a planned layout to check if it's the correct way to set up what you suggested. Anymore info, feedback and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I tried to give as much information I could so I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Vuce.

*Right Click and open image in new tab for full sized view.

Benedict
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2021

Sorry but the image is AWOL

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Vuce

17 Dec 2021

I uploaded it again to an image hosting site. Hope this works.

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2021

Thanks

And it is super nice to see someone thinking it out visually to bring focus and allow an informed dialog. The logic seems good to me.

I noted that your current mixer is USB, will that not work as an Audio Interface with ASIO Drivers?

For USB Audio Interfaces, everyone is likely to say what they use is the best. What is the budget? If really cheap I got a Audient evo4 seeing with the Spamdemic I couldn't get the SSL I was lusting on. The evo4 is lovely in many ways. Quirky in some but does what it does nicely for a low price.

For an Amp without knowing what those speakers are (and again with the budget) all I can say is that you can't go wrong with something like a Rotel A10 which is what I replaced my trusty NAD C320BEE which got so old the capacitors leaked to death. My speakers are Jamo C 803s which I have had for about ten years now.

Now people will tell you that you can only mix on official powered Studio Monitors (ones with the word Pro in the tile of course) but that is so much BS seeing most studios all used nothing but commercially available speakers until the 80s. The famous Yamaha NS10 was an entry-level audiophile/Hi-Fi speaker. NS stands for Natural Sound. They failed for home uses for being too natural (bright, detailed, shrill) but were ever so useful as nearfields. Read this comparing the "Horrotone" clones against the real deal (of which I had a rather brutalized pair that I loved until they totally died by crazy ex GF).
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/au ... sound-cube

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Vuce

18 Dec 2021

Thanks for the kind words of my rough plan, working as a part time graphic designer does help for some things. :-)

I have tried the USB port to feed back audio but I just don't think the mixer is up to par. It was a cheap and cheerful one I bought before deciding to add PC software into the loop. My music production was more of an expensive hobby when I got the Moogs. Huge Tangerine Dream/Vangelis/Node fan and just wanted to play with the equipment as a pastime while waiting for new clients to contact me but found myself getting more and more into taking it a little more seriously.

My current speakers are Harman Kardon SoundSticks.

They are by no means proper monitor speakers but they've served me well. I'll probably invest in some nice monitors. I did have a set of Jamos a long time ago and a pair of Wharfedales but they got used to death playing loud rave music back in the 80's/90's, burned the coils out on both sets. :lol:

My budget right now is around the 2 Grand mark but I can still save. I really would like to possibly replace my M-Audio Axiom with a decent Synth, was looking at the Yamaha Reface CS: Analogue Synthesizer ( would like a very paddy/string sounding synth ) and probably sell the Kaossilator as it feels very limited and replace it with something that compliments the setup and music I want to produce. Mixer will be sold for sure. Also is the PC Motherboard ( Asus z170s Sabertooth arctic white ) onboard soundcard suffice? Or should I look for a dedicated PCI soundcard?

Thanks.

Ian.

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2021

Onboard sound does work in that you can hear it, however quality and latency are rarely high on the priority list when designing the circuits so a USB outboard will tend to beat something Realtek every day overall, esp for ASIO Drivers. Those evo4 are really cheap.

The HK speakers I have seen pics of but never heard. Anything can be gotten used to. My advice, listen to quality material to get a real in-yer-bones sense of how it sounds/feels and work to get that sort of feel from your music (bearing in mind the story of each track). Mixing should never be about formula or cloning. Alan Parsons Project "Eye In The Sky" album is always my first point of reference/reverence for any speaker I do not know. If the guitars at the start sound cardboardy it is gonna be hard. If the orchestra & choir at the end don't open up, it's gonna be pointless.

Keep focused on the music, not the gear. i had hardware from Emaxes to CZs and even a real Moog. Happier now to focus on Europa, Thor, Sub.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information