Combinator patch and Rex loop

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ethan_Music

26 Dec 2021

Hi guys

Ive found a really cool Combinator patch, and I would like to use an instrument loop from the Dr Rex Loop player with it.

Ive tried copying patch to track, then dragging the loop onto the Combinator track, but it doesn't pay the loop properly, it just seems to play an upward scale if that makes any sense.

I really like the sound of the Combi patch, any ideas on how I can play my chosen loop in this Combi sound?

Thanks guys

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2021

I think we need to see what is happening here. It feels to me like you have not understood the nature of the instruments and/or system.

If you send a Rex to MIDI, it will result in a somewhat scruffy flow of ascending notes. Kinda useless if you send them to a synth but if they are sent back to that Rex Player, it will play the slices of the Rex Loop in order.

That means that you can then start moving around those notes so instead of playing slices 1,2,3,4, you can play slices 5,_,3,4, to make a different performance.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Ethan_Music

27 Dec 2021

I think you might be right.

All I want to do is have the loop sound like the combinator patch.

I often record summin in NNXT on basic piano, create another instrument or Combi, then just copy the recorded clip and drag it down to the new instrument.

Is there any way I can use the loop in my chosen Combi patch? Much like using the Combi as an effect to change the sound of the loop?

Thanks

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2021

Yes, just like you normally would except you send the MIDI to the Combi, making sure that the Combi contains a Rex with that loop loaded into the playing Slot.

Without being able to see what you are doing, (and don't forget God invented OBS for making great screen recordings so everyone can see/hear what is happening - set Reson Audio to Default System Audio) I get the feeling that you are trying to run before you can walk. Slow down a bit and get your basics right or the music-making thing will become a real painful experience - which it should not be.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2021

This may help a bit. I show basic Rex to Track.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7526246

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information